pixeltracker

Shakespeare in the Park line today

Shakespeare in the Park line today

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#0Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:09pm

I can't guarantee anything, but FYI there were (relatively) very few people in line today. There may still be tix if you want to meander by and check it out.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#1re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:13pm

I passed by there around 10:20 and there looked to be no more than about 50 people on line - which really surprised me.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

MargoChanning
#2re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:16pm

The first few days of the run -- before people realize it's open yet -- are always a little slow, so it's a good time to jump on tickets if you have time ..............although they're predicting rain late this afternoon and throughout the night and tomorrow morning so there's no guarantee that the show will go on.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Gothampc
#3re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:19pm

The rain slowed the preparation for the production down a bit. So tonight is the first preview. The show officially opens June 28.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#4re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:19pm

Today, you could've gotten there AT 1pm, and still gotten tix. The line *barely* made it around the bend so that you couldn't see the theater. There are 1880 seats (or thereabouts) and I'd estimate there were only mid-upper hundreds on line when they started handing out tix.

Yeah, hoping there's no rain *knock on wood*.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Gothampc
#5re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:21pm

I checked the website. The shows are starting at 8:30pm now?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#6re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:25pm

Only MACBETH will have an 8:30 curtain. MOTHER COURAGE will have the traditional 8:00 curtain.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#7re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:30pm

Macbeth is for some strange reason...Mother Courage will have a regular 8pm curtain per the line guardian, Karen (? - I think that's her name).

Btw, will that be the first time Shakespeare in the Park will be putting on a production of something not by Shakespeare?

Updated On: 6/14/06 at 02:30 PM

Gothampc
#8re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:33pm

"Btw, will that be the first time Shakespeare in the Park puts on a production of something not by Shakespeare?"

No, they've done a lot of other authors

Gilbert & Sullivan
Moliere
Chekhov
McDermot/Guare/Shapiro
Bernstein, Comden & Green
Weill/Brecht
Thorton Wilder

Updated On: 6/14/06 at 02:33 PM

so. much. drama.
#9re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:37pm

i can't wait for mother courage. meryl streep is my boyfriend.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:39pm

I agree, drama.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#11re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:44pm

Thanks Gothampc - duh, I have such short-term memory sometimes.

Gothampc
#12re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:52pm

I wish I had seen the Raul Julia/Ellen Greene version of 3Penny Opera. Here's hoping they will issue the recording on cd.

MargoChanning
#13re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:03pm

Curtain is at 8:30 for Macbeth (and Macbeth only) because by that time it should be (mostly) dark which the director wanted so as to add to the mood and atmosphere of the piece.

There have been lots of fun Shakespeare in the Park productions in the past. One of my favorites was a production 15 years ago of Taming of the Shrew starring Morgan Freeman and Tracey Ullman, set in the Old West and set to music. It was really a blast.

And speaking of "Shrew," did anyone ever see the Park production sometime in the late 70s with Meryl Streep and Raul Julia as Kate and Petrucchio, either live or on PBS? I haven't seen it in many years and it wasn't preserved on video, but it was the funniest, slaptick (Streep did pratfalls), boisterous but well-spoken production of it that I've ever seen.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#14re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/15/06 at 6:51am

MACBETH last night was really something. A very dark staging, featuring a virtuoso performance by Mr. Schreiber. Maybe the best Macbeth I've ever seen. Jennifer Ehle as Lady Macbeth was intense and straight-up crazy. The entire ensemble was very very good, and the show ran surprisingly well for a first preview. This is definitely one to see.

ETA: I was chatting with one of the Public Theater employees last night before the show, and they said that this is the first time that MACBETH has ever been presented at the Delacorte. I found that very interesting, seeing as it is probably one of Shakespeare's best-known plays.
Updated On: 6/15/06 at 06:51 AM

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#15re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 6/15/06 at 10:03am

What time did it end?

(I think I'm going tomorrow night.)

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html

nomdeplume
SFFrontRow
#17re: Shakespeare in the Park line today
Posted: 7/7/06 at 10:40am

Sorry to get off topic - but I would like to know what the seating is like there.

I have a summer sponsor ticket (only in town for 2 days) and have section D seat 301 for Mother Courage in August. Does anyone know the seating arrangements for this show. I know they do not post a seating chart because it changes by show, but I would like to know where this seat is situated.

Thanks --