Mirvish 2012/2013

PastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
#25Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/8/12 at 10:43am

@adam.peterson44 JRB is quite comfortable in front of prying eyes. He performs often with his band called the Caucasian Rhythm Kings. (I believe his last performance in Toronto with his band was in 2009). His "Who are you people?" comment was referring to the fact that many season announcements are not public affairs like Mirvish's. I believe the second half of his comment was "There are not 1,800 journalists in Toronto."

Den Profile Photo
Den
#26Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/8/12 at 11:52am

@avabe: Theatres generally don't have the luxury of being able to choose the ideal time of year when a show (especially a tour) hits the stage. In the case of Oz, this is a tour launch that's supposed to go to the US afterwards so that may be factored into the timing. They may also try to sell group tickets to schools which usually can't happen in the summer.

spicegirlsaloud
#27Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/8/12 at 8:02pm

Is Oz a tour? I have heard from a few people that it will be another uk import sit down like Sound of Music was

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#28Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/8/12 at 8:14pm

Yes it is a sit down. Nothing has publicly been released saying it is a tour. This production (in it's current London incarnation) is not tour-able. It would need to be redesigned.

spicegirlsaloud
#29Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/9/12 at 1:43am

I am actually looking forward to Oz. I saw the show in London and quite enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see which theatre it will go into. I assume it will be either the Princess of Wales or the Canon. I doubt the sets would fit into the Royal.

It will also be interesting to see if they make changes to the show. In London the Wicked Witch and Monkeys use the dome at the top of the theatre for entrance and exits.

BenHawkins
#30Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/9/12 at 10:14pm

@Tag - they said at the season announcement that this production of Oz would open here, cast Canadian and then head out for a North American tour.

spicegirlsaloud
#31Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/10/12 at 1:11am

I have heard from several people now that Oz is meant to be a sit down. I really can't imagine this show touring. As tag said this show is not built to travel. The sets are massive, it requires space for flying and the central piece is the rotating stage/yellow brick road

Also there was a National Tour of Wizard of Oz just a couple years ago and it was not successful at all.

It would make more sense to use Toronto as a pre broadway run and then move to new york. Oh well I guess we will have to wait and see

wallybag
#32Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/10/12 at 3:37am

the wizard of oz is a big sit down show like the sound of music this is one i would like to see.

#33Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/11/12 at 3:12pm

Thanks for your response, but OZ is not a touring show, and it will be an all-Canadian cast. "Shine up your ruby slippers, THE WIZARD OF OZ is headed from London with a twist(er)! With spectacular sets and costumes and an all-Canadian cast, this show is sure to shine brighter than Emerald City." as per Mirvish.com. I am not sure what do you mean by "They may also try to sell group tickets to schools which usually can't happen in the summer". A November/December show (just like Sound and Marry) is not in the Summer, and they have whole September and October to sell tickets to schools for the later performances. I will go see it regardless when it will be on, but I still think they would do better sales if they roll it out in November.

Den Profile Photo
Den
#34Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/16/12 at 2:17am

At the season announcement, it was stated that Oz was to be an all-Canadian cast but that they intend to tour the show in the US after the Toronto run.

#35Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:25pm

That is true as the casting calls for dancers states just that.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#36Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 4/19/12 at 7:14pm

Looks like Wizard of Oz is being cast (Dorothy) through a tv show. CBC announced next season's programming today, and 'Over The Rainbow' was announced.
Over The Rainbow

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#37Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 4/19/12 at 8:04pm

There's already a Twitter page for CBC's Over the Rainbow:

https://twitter.com/#!/cbcrainbow

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

PastorErnst
#38Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 5/9/12 at 5:50pm

"The new musical FLASHDANCE, which was scheduled to play a pre-Broadway engagement in Toronto this summer, has announced a postponement of the Toronto engagement. The show's producers were planning on moving the production directly from Toronto to Broadway. Due to scheduling issues, the Broadway production has been postponed until the spring."
Broadway-Bound FLASHDANCE Postpones Toronto Tryout

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#39Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 5/12/12 at 9:42am

Mirvish has posted photos from Over the Rainbow on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151691429975640.843824.346913040639&type=1

The CBC website for Over the Rainbow: http://www.cbc.ca/overtherainbow/

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#40Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 6/7/12 at 1:33am

According to the CBC "Over The Rainbow" website the show will play the Ed Mirvish Theatre:

"Join us as we embark on a journey to find a girl to play the role of Dorothy in the upcoming Andrew Lloyd Webber production of The Wizard of Oz at the Ed Mirvish Theatre".

So, I'm guessing the tours will play the Royal Alex, assuming War Horse is still around next season?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#41Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 6/19/12 at 7:29pm

Mirvish launches Snail:
http://www.mirvish.com/pages/snail

Mirvish 2012/2013

http://www.blogto.com/arts/2012/06/mirvish_launches_new_arts_and_entertainment_magazine/

Updated On: 6/19/12 at 07:29 PM

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#42Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 8/25/12 at 2:13pm

I had wondered if the Toronto Film Festival was not going to be using the Princess of Wales Theatre this year because of War Horse, but I see that War Horse has no performances Sept. 3-11. TIFF will be using the theatre Sept. 7-11. War Horse returns from Sept. 12.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#43Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 9/1/12 at 9:01am

Over the Rainbow has announced its judging panel: Louise Pitre, Thom Allison and Arlene Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/overtherainbow/blog/over-the-rainbow-judges-announced.html

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#44Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 9/22/12 at 11:24am

Does anyone have discount codes for La Cage and Sister Act? I wouldn't mind seeing either or both of them, but not at full price.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#45Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 10/13/12 at 9:56am

Saw La Cage aux Folles at the Royal Alex. David Mirvish was there, and I think I saw Ouzounian, too. The production was OK, but nothing to get too excited about. George Hamilton was a rather stiff Georges and Christopher Sieber was OK as Albin/Zaza. I didn't see Douglas Hodge, but I have the cast CD and felt Sieber's Albin was a weaker version of Hodge's style (which is in itself a contrast to George Hearn's performance in the original). Jeigh Madjus was a hoot as Jacob, the butler/maid, done with a thick Filipino accent.

As with Priscilla, I find it interesting (but not appealing) this seeming trend towards very muscular drag performers. Is it supposed to subvert our expectations to see men with hyper-masculine bodies (beefy thighs, bulging biceps) acting hyper-feminine? I was impressed with the Cagelles' strength and flexibility, but didn't find them all that appealing to watch dancing.

Updated On: 10/13/12 at 09:56 AM

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#46Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/6/13 at 6:28am

Book of Mormon single ticket sales start Tuesday February 19 (AMEX pre-sale Feb. 11-13). Show runs April 30 - June 9 at the Princess of Wales.

PastorErnst
#47Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/20/13 at 12:29pm

It looks like The Book of Mormon is selling REALLY well. From TicketKing:

"Best Availability is Wed June 05 2pm
ALL OTHER PERFORMANCES HAVE SINGLE SEATS ONLY
Choose tickets in multiples of 1 - to look for best availability"

TicketKing: The Book of Mormon

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#48Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 2/22/13 at 9:24am

Toronto Star: Want Book of Mormon tickets? Canadian residents only, please
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/2013/02/22/want_book_of_mormon_tickets_canadian_residents_only_please.html

"Mirvish's unprecedented move to bar foreign residents from buying seats to the Toronto run will be lifted Friday morning."

Updated On: 2/22/13 at 09:24 AM

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#49Mirvish 2012/2013
Posted: 4/13/13 at 6:18pm

Mirvish website now says:

Tickets to THE BOOK OF MORMON are now sold out.
Closer to the performances, additional seats may occasionally become available through our Call Centre -- 416-872-1212 or
1-800-461-3333.

Also note that there will be a lottery for The Book of Mormon - the details will be announced at a later date.

Videos