pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 113

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2800The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/4/10 at 9:26pm

I'm going to Titanic, too. I have some friends involved. Sad to be missing that, though, especially with the Doyle factor. And Guettel is one of my favorites, who has written some songs that would be glorious on Raul. The pricetag would have been a hindrance anyway though, even without the conflict.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/4/10 at 09:26 PM

wonkit
#2801The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/4/10 at 9:33pm

Ouch - just noticed those benefit prices! At least TITANIC was relatively inexpensive.

luvtheEmcee
#2802The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/4/10 at 9:36pm

Yup! It'll be a good time, and their concert hall is gorgeous. This is the second benefit of that kind at NYSEC and they've been great about making it affordable.

Updated On: 6/4/10 at 09:36 PM

wonkit
#2803The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/4/10 at 11:06pm

I've never seen TITANIC and I'm very excited about the performance.

luvtheEmcee
#2804The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/4/10 at 11:11pm

Me either, but I am a geek for all things Titanic. I have always wanted to see the musical.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2805The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/6/10 at 8:16pm

Someone on All That Chat is saying that they've cast the female lead opposite Raul in Leap of Faith, and it's going to be.....

Brooke Shields

WTF??

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

wonkit
#2806The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/6/10 at 9:51pm

Oh, shoot! Sure doesn't work for me...

ETA: IF it is true. Updated On: 6/6/10 at 09:51 PM

luvtheEmcee
#2807The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/6/10 at 11:03pm

Ok, I could be eating my hat on this soon because I know nothing from the inside. BUT. Having seen the show, this is my thought. I am having a hard time believing it, not because I don't like her (I do, I saw her in Wonderful Town and thought she was quite good), but because she goes against everything they have spent more than five years creating this character to be. Sutton is not not doing it because they've decided to take the character in another direction, she's not doing it because she's not available. And I just can't understand why, after all this time of one idea for the character, and having it work almost perfectly, they would suddenly switch to something completely different.

The differences between the movie and the musical are subtle, but their ramifications are huge, and the relationship between Jonas and Marva is very complicated and very very delicate. Such that the dynamic is with Raul playing Jonas, I can't see it working the way it, IMO, should. It's completely illogical to me, and I hope it's just a weird rumor. It just doesn't fit.

If it's true, however (of which I am skeptical), I hope I am wrong in that (assumptive) assessment, and that she surprises me. The powers that be have done too much right with this show to screw it up like that (again, not by putting her in it because she's Brooke Shields, but by messing with the character as much as it seems like this would). I just want it to be as good as it has the potential to be.

So that's my opinion, for what it's worth, since I saw the show in pretty recent form. And honestly, don't these kinds of rumors turn out to be false almost as often as they turn out to be true?

Updated On: 6/7/10 at 11:03 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#2808The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/7/10 at 2:21am

I must admit, the idea of the not very tall Raul next to the incredibly tall Brooke Sheilds cracks me up.

Did their stints in Cabaret ever cross paths? I wanna say it didn't, but now I can't remember.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#2809The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/7/10 at 9:24am

I'm pretty sure it was just Gina Gershon and Molly Ringwald.

wonkit
#2810The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/12/10 at 2:13pm

From an internet interview with Frank Grillo, one of Raul's co-stars in "My Soul to Take," the news that the movie is going to be post-produced into 3D format, and that Craven wasn't happy about a lot of the ambiguity of the villain's character and did a significant re-shoot to make the bad guy seem more like a traditional horror villain. I'm definitely going to have to have a drink before viewing this one. Somebody please put Raul in a Woody Allen movie!

ETA: spell check. Updated On: 6/12/10 at 02:13 PM

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2811The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/12/10 at 3:00pm

Sigh. I wouldn't be surprised if, after all is said and done, there will be one fragment of a scene with a recognizeable Raul in it, and the rest will be the stunt guy in makeup and CGI. Poor Raul may end up on the proverbial cutting room floor (which, in my somewhat skewed opinion, is not a bad thing).

wonkit
#2812The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/12/10 at 5:40pm

I am kind of thinking the cutting room floor might be a blessing. I was watching PUSHING DAISIES last night and thought - he's cute and romantic and funny in that. He just needs the right material/director/billing.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2813The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/12/10 at 6:05pm

The idea of a Desi Arnaz biopic is really appealing, but I have absolutely no idea if the appropriate Powers That Be have even thought of it.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2814The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/17/10 at 8:53pm

Maybe I'm in a weird mood, but this struck me as supremely amusing. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
What is an...?

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2815The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/21/10 at 4:54pm

Well, it's officially a done deal.
Raul Esparza, Brooke Shields to star in 'Leap of Faith'

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#2816The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/21/10 at 5:29pm

Yes well...they must have read together, right? And they must have been good together? And if Brooke Shields creates some buzz it's gotta be good.

luvtheEmcee
#2817The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/21/10 at 5:41pm

I would hope they had Raul in to read with any serious candidates. And I honestly think they will have really good chemistry in all of the ways that Raul and Sutton did not.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#2818The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/21/10 at 7:01pm

That's good, Luv. Chemistry is important. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2819The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/21/10 at 7:49pm

They've changed the dates of the run, pushing it back a week. So now the first performance is Sept 11, opening night is Oct 3, and closing is Oct 24.

Closing is Raul's birthday!

Chrysanthemum62001
#2820The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 6/21/10 at 8:19pm

Man. I really didn't want this to be true.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

wonkit
#2821The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/2/10 at 12:45pm

Lucky people living in the Southeast - Raul is performing in Georgia Saturday night at a Ritz-Carlton outside of Atlanta (don't know much Georgia geography so sorry to be so vague) (fireworks followed by fireworks, if you know what I mean) and then is reprising BABALU in Miami from July 8 - 11. Have fun!

andi1235
#2822The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/4/10 at 3:45pm

So did anyone make it to the GA thing last night? I wanted to go soo much but being in upstate NY it wasn't going to happen. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four Tell us all about it!! :)

jayfpinker Profile Photo
jayfpinker
#2823The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/4/10 at 6:49pm

It was a nice evening. Held on a SPECTACULARLY Beautiful spot on Lake Oconee...

The Symphony Orchestra Augusta did a few "family friendly" pieces (Dance of the Hours, LooneyTunes Medley and Finlandia), before bringing Raul on stage, accompanied by Mary-Mitchell Campbell.

He opened his set with "Younger Than Springtime;" "Everybody Says Don't" from Anyone Can Whistle; did a Fantastic "Begin the Beguine" (half in Spanish); "America the Beautiful" matched with Parade's "The Old Red Hills of Home"; "Out There" from Disney's "Hunchback of Notre Dame;" a kickass "Georgia on My Mind" (piano only); and finished with "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" which he dedicated to his parents in the audience. (He said it was *their song*) Only a 35 minute set! But the crowd ate it up (especially "Georgia" and "The Old Red Hills of Home.")

He was OK with his chatter, talking up Sondheim & Mencken & Stephen Schwartz, and the upcoming "Leap of Faith"
I was with a crowd who had never seen him perform other than the DVD of "Company" He went over well.

After a 15 minute Intermission, the concert closed with the Orchestra's 1812 Overture and collection of Sousa & patriotic songs and Fireworks.

Updated On: 7/4/10 at 06:49 PM

andi1235
#2824The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/4/10 at 7:14pm

Oh, that sounds pretty amazing! I'm a Menken geek, so I would have particularly liked to hear Out There, but it all sounds good!

Do you think any of it will end up on Youtube?

Videos