John Adams
#50Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/8/18 at 8:54am

Has anyone seen Okja? Thoughts?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#51Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/8/18 at 4:49pm

We watched a screener of Okja 2 days ago. That's 2 1/2 excruciating hours we'll never get back. In truth we did enjoy the Tilda Swinton scenes in all their looney-tune grandeur, and Jake Gyllenhall left us speechless-- what a ghastly part to be stuck with! Plus we had to give a nod to the topnotch stunt and CG departments that pulled off the chase sequences in the Seoul subway station and highway tunnel. The rest of it was an unmitigated slog for us. We're really puzzled who this movie was made for-- it's far too violent for most kids and far too infantile for most adults, a real head-scratcher.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#52Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/9/18 at 2:34am

Good to know - Thanks! [...scratches Okja off list...]

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#53Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/9/18 at 2:31pm

Just saw Blade Runner 2049.  Stunning visuals, but dear God, was it slow.  It felt 6 hours long.  And in the end, it just felt so contrived and unoriginal.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#54Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/9/18 at 3:17pm

I adored Okja. I'm a big fan of the director. Also loved Snowpiercer. I forgot it came out this year. I would definitely add it to my favorite of the year list. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#55Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/9/18 at 4:06pm

I didn't realize Okja was from the director of Snowpiercer.  That might save me some time.  I hated Snowpiercer with a passion.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Someone in a Tree2
#56Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/9/18 at 8:11pm

SNOWPIERCER was an exemplary model of tight plotting and scripting, not to mention a visual thrill ride with endless wit and flair. None of those is the case with OKJA, I'm sorry to say.

Someone in a Tree2
#57Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/9/18 at 8:18pm

Back to the favorite movies of 2017 topic, I'm so delighted that my 3 favorite movies of the year (THE SHAPE OF WATER, 3 BILLBOARDS, and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME) seem to be rising to the top of the pack when it comes to awards notice. Just as happily, movies I was less impressed with (THE POST, and DUNKIRK) are  coming up empty-handed so far. Now to hope that audiences actually show up for those award-winning specialty films like they deserve.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#58Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/17/18 at 10:51am

Call Me by Your Name

The Shape of Water

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Videos