pixeltracker

Rest in Peace Downton Abbey- Page 4

Rest in Peace Downton Abbey

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#75Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/2/15 at 1:08pm

The soap rule for Goody-Goody characters to thrive is to place them in a popular couple--a supercouple (think the old US soap cliche of Luke and Laura--Laura was always extremely bland.)  But you can't just stretch this story out endlessly.

Gothampc
#76Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/2/15 at 2:06pm

***One more threadjack and then I swear I'm done changing the subject***

Selfridge should be embarrassed at the wigs they use. They look fake and sometimes you can see the gap between the wig and the person's head.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#77Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/2/15 at 7:45pm

Since you're threadjacking.  I happened to - briefly - catch an ep of Mr. Selfridge at a friend's house.  What a turkey.  Clearly, Jeremy Piven has never done period work, nor should he ever have.  He was well cast in Entourage, but every word coming out of his mouth sounded like that of a man in 2015.  It was rather jarring.  

Gothampc
#78Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/2/15 at 8:04pm

I've started watching a British sitcom called "Uncle" and who should show up?  Baxter.  She plays a "cougar" in that show.  Very different from her "Downton Abbey" role.  (Shame on me because I kept thinking it was Hermione Norris in a dark wig.)

And I know I promised not to threadjack, but....

The reason I started watching "Uncle" is to see Daisy Haggard who plays the "grimacer" on Matt LeBlanc's sitcom "Episodes" (with Tamsin Greig). 

And who else should pop up in "Uncle", but Con O'Neill, the actor who played Mickey in Blood Brothers.  Those British actors really hustle from show to show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#79Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/2/15 at 8:28pm

I'm actually enjoying your threadjacking, Goth.  

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#80Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/3/15 at 5:01pm

The reason I started watching "Uncle" is to see Daisy Haggard who plays the "grimacer" on Matt LeBlanc's sitcom "Episodes" (with Tamsin Greig).

I had no idea until I saw her on something else (probably not Uncle) that she wasn't American, although I did find myself wondering, whilst I watched Episodes, if such extreme grimacing would be commonplace and regarded as socially acceptable in the US and assumed this visual joke was largely aimed at the British audience.

Con O'Neill is a great actor - seen him a number of times on stage and on television. There's an obscure film by Wily Russell called Dancin thru the Dark, that I personally love but which never seemed to achieve major popularity, which features him in the lead.

I know I promised not to threadjack, but

You've made me feel dirty, having to post about EastEnders in the Follies thread.

Updated On: 4/3/15 at 05:01 PM

Gothampc
#81Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:20pm

"I did find myself wondering, whilst I watched Episodes, if such extreme grimacing would be commonplace and regarded as socially acceptable in the US and assumed this visual joke was largely aimed at the British audience."

I think what she does so well is mimic young career women in the US. I took the grimace to be a physical manifestation of the "vocal fry" that she uses which you hear every other young woman use.

"You've made me feel dirty, having to post about EastEnders in the Follies thread."

Now you've made me feel dirty threadjacking in response to your threadjack.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#82Rest in Peace Downton Abbey
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:51pm

From the beginning, Episodes always felt more like a BBC comedy than an American show (evening the opening credits).  I was surprised to learn how much of the cast are British!  It's uncanny.  I originally started watching the show for Tamin (going to see her in Women on the Verge in a couple of weeks!), and she's wonderful on the show, but it's Kathleen Rose Perkins that runs away with it.  I don't just LOL, I flat-out GUFFAW.  She is brilliant!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos