Women on the Verge...

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#50Women on the Verge...
Posted: 1/31/15 at 4:19pm

"It's one of the few musicals currently in the West End that I could class as intelligent, sophisticated, hilariously funny AND has a score full of stunning songs. And the performances are all from the top drawer, with Haydn Gwynne possibly giving THE best musical theatre performance by an actress currently in the West End. "

Yep!

dave1606
#51Women on the Verge...
Posted: 2/3/15 at 1:59pm

I planned an entire west end trip around seeing this show and I could NOT be more excited. I adore Tasmin from Episodes(and the few Episodes of Green Wing I have seen). Though flawed, I did enjoy the show on Broadway, and LOVE the cast recording. Looking forward to seeing the show in April!

Updated On: 2/6/15 at 01:59 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#52Women on the Verge...
Posted: 2/4/15 at 2:28pm

Booked my trip! I'm so excited!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

rjm516
#53Women on the Verge...
Posted: 5/12/15 at 7:43pm

I finally finally saw this tonight, and i thoroughly enjoyed it! What a fun and wonderful show! Anna Skellern is out with an injury (!!) & I was disappointed in her understudy but everyone else is so great. Go see it if you can; it closes in 10 days. 

Was anyone else there tonight? I was sat in the middle-back of the dress circle, and there was a bit of an incident in the front of the dress circle! These two 60-some year old ladies were suuuper drunk (drinking in their seats the whole time), and talking and laughing to each other the entire time. If I was closer it would have been even more annoying. So I guess the girl across the aisle from them shushed them at some point, because as soon as the curtain fell on Act One, the drunker and larger and scarier of the two older ladies jumped in the girl's face and pushed her and started screaming about 'minding your own business' and 'not knowing what's going on in someone else's life" which is just hilariously off-topic I'd think. The girl looked kind of scared but calmly said if you can't be quiet then you shouldn't come to the theatre. I think the management sat her elsewhere for the second act but should have kicked the two drunkards out! 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#54Women on the Verge...
Posted: 5/13/15 at 12:10pm

When I saw the show, Anna Skellern was the weakest link in the cast and she got lost in the middle of Model Behavior during the photo shoot section, but came back around in time for "Posing with a melon and a matador", so it eventually worked out, but I don't think you missed much by missing her performance.  After seeing Benanti in the role on Broadway, I sort of wish Sheridan Smith had played the part in the West End.

But holy cow, how amazing was Ricardo Afonso's performance of My Crazy Heart?!?!  That was so delightfully unexpected.  I thought the staging of the West End production really tightened the focus of the book and strengthened the show.  But I wasn't fond of the new song that replaced Time Stood Still.  I just found it unremarkable and bland.  And it's a shame that Marisa lost her feature dance number.  It really brought her character to life that made her more relatable to the audience.  I did like the new finale song.  It did a much better job at retaining the feel of the film's ending while relaying the message of the story.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

rjm516
#55Women on the Verge...
Posted: 5/13/15 at 6:11pm

^ Oh okay, thanks for the info! That makes me feel less upset about missing Skellern and more upset that Benanti isn't just in every single show :)

Yes, I thought Ricardo Afonso was absolutely stunning. Just wonderful casting! I could listen to him sing for days! I thought all the West End changes were just really great. Such a shame that it didn't have a more successful run. At curtain call, Tamsin quieted the audience and then sincerely thanked everyone for coming and implored everyone to tell their friends and tweet about the show so their last x performances were full. Kind of sad! But she was so sweet and funny! 

Whileshesleeps
#56Women on the Verge...
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:54am

I think the issue of drunk audience members i increasing all the time and causing problems for may shows with theatre staff unprepared and cautious of how to best deal with this. 

The problem is indirectly caused by many of the theatres themselves including the Playhouse who when I went to see the show were really plugging heavily the bar and cocktails on offer (asking for trouble) which you could take with you into the show.

There's a fine line between ensuring the audience have a great time (such as Priscilla) and it affecting things for the audience and casts of shows and simply making as much money as possible out of audience members that enables a show to sustain its run. 

Videos