pixeltracker

"Side Show" Preview Thread- Page 12

"Side Show" Preview Thread

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#275re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/17/14 at 10:11am

There was never a hint that Buddy was gay in the original. Any assumption that he was came from the viewer. I'm glad they addressed it in this revisal, because it makes sense as to why he will, wont, will marry Violet.

They actually only really dealt with the twins' sexuality in "Tunnel of Love", expressing, perhaps uncomfortably, all four characters wants/needs/frustrations. It was more that Buddy "just wasnt that into" Violet.

Now it is expressed through the series of reporters' comments...along with more hints at Buddy's sexuality. Even "1+1=3" had no hint of sexuality in the original. The new staging is closer to "Two Ladies" from Cabaret than the original.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Roscoe
#276re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/17/14 at 10:47am

Among the problems I had with the show was the lack of development for poor old Buddy. Terry, who's basically a handsome cipher for much of the first act, suddenly gets a full-out big belting number in Act Two where all of his anxieties and insecurities are blasted out in no uncertain terms. Poor old Buddy's situation doesn't get that much attention, and the show felt off-balance as a result.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Videos