pixeltracker

Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?- Page 2

Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:55am

You want to hear gorgeous arrangements of Step in Time and Let's Go Fly a Kite? Listen to the incomparable Irwin Kostal's orchestrations for the movie. Then, listen to the woeful show orchestrations, which sound like they are composed for kazoo, Casio keyboard and a slide whistle by comparison.

And if you want to hear gorgeous arrangements of songs like I Am What I Am (sung by someone who can actually sing, no less) and La Cage Aux Folles, listen to the incomparable original orchestrations by Jim Tyler, which are played by a FULL orchestra. Then go listen to the tinny, measly 7 piece hack-job of an orchestra Jason Carr threw together for the revival.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#26Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/7/10 at 10:14am

When did you see La Cage? I haven't actually seen it yet (I'm going tomorrow), but since you have already gone, go with Mary Poppins.

As another poster stated in the thread, sometimes going back a second time (especially not that long after you originally saw it) may tarnish your memory of the show. I'd give it some more time before you see La Cage again (Hodge also just extended his contract). That said, see something new and different and form your own opinion about the show. You're going to get people here who hate it, love it or just think it was okay. I would say it is worth it to see Mary Poppins. It isn't a complete trainwreck of a show, and it has some amazing visual effects and moments. If in the end you see it and dislike it, at least you'll have crossed another show off your list.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

RemlapLBC
#27Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/7/10 at 12:01pm

I saw Poppins Broadway and thought it had an amazing set, one cool tap dance, and a unique ending that surprised; but generally cold and lacking.

(That trip we saw Spring Awakening, Tarzan, and MP. Both of us ranked Poppins our least favorite of the three)

That said, when the tour came to LA, the entire production was charming, and I would highly recommend it.

So I'm not sure if on Broadway I just saw an off night, or Poppins was bad only if immediately seen next to another show, but on its own, a good show.

If you've already seen the other show, I'd see Poppins.

Videos