Dream Mame and Vera

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#25Dream Mame and Vera
Posted: 2/3/11 at 5:20pm

I think that, aside from Angela, the only other perfect Mame WOULD HAVE been Judy Garland. That would have been an event.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#26Dream Mame and Vera
Posted: 2/3/11 at 9:28pm

At one point, Judy Garland was very much interested in playing "Mame". But, she was a walking train wreck by then. Still, it would have been inspired casting.
This is from "But Darling, I'm Your Auntie Mame! by Richard Tyler Jordan with Introduction by Jerry Herman. "A meeting between the producers eventually took place in October 1967 and Jerry Herman was present to play the score for her. "She sang everything in the show and it just put us away" recalls John Bowab. "It was beyond comprehension what she did with the score. When she sang "If He Walked Into My Life", "We Need A Little Christmas", "My Best Beau" and "It's Today", it was simply devastating. She must have had the pitch pipes out all night because there wasn't a crack in her voice, except when she wanted it to crack."
Despite Garland's brilliance, there was a major fear among the producers that she couldn't sustain eight performances a week over an extended period of time. "Mame" was an enormous hit and there was a strong apprehension that she might kill the show altogether. If the production had been in its third or fourth year, it is likely that she would have been given a chance, but the producers felt that they couldn't risk the potential problems.
Judy was told in late January 1968 that she'd lost the role.

from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 2/3/11 at 09:28 PM

JOak Profile Photo
JOak
#27Dream Mame and Vera
Posted: 2/3/11 at 9:31pm

Judy Garland as Mame
Kay Thompson as Vera

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#28Dream Mame and Vera
Posted: 2/4/11 at 4:55pm

I know Judy was up to replace Lansbury, and that she was bereft when she lost the part. Jerry was pretty upset too, being that Judy was his idol.

And JOak, that pairing would have been killer!

Gothampc
#29Dream Mame and Vera
Posted: 2/4/11 at 5:03pm

I think it should be Josefina Gabrielle and Patrick Wilson because they did such an excellent job playing Dream Laurey and Dream Curly in the Oklahoma revival.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Q
#30Dream Mame and Vera
Posted: 2/4/11 at 5:07pm

"It was beyond comprehension what she did with the score. When she sang "If He Walked Into My Life", "We Need A Little Christmas", "My Best Beau" and "It's Today", it was simply devastating. She must have had the pitch pipes out all night because there wasn't a crack in her voice, except when she wanted it to crack."

Who, oh, WHY didn't someone have a tape recorder?!?

Videos