News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jv92

jv92 Profile Photo
Member Name: jv92
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 10:46:58 PM

PipingHotPiccolo said

I dont think my response was all that harsh, which confirms a hyper sensitivity here that isnt my problem, but I wish you all the best with. I am pointedly disagreeing with you: we NEED ushers to firmly move the lines along, and warn ppl about intermission times, and do it all quite loudly for all patrons to hear. That disagreement is the very conversation you claim to want to spark, so I dont really know what to tell you."

I like smart fr

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 06:58:17 PM

Totally agree that whichever firm Roundabout uses for their venues are the WORST. Nasty, surly, overly aggressive (to the point of being "felt up" by their pat downs). They must be moonlighting after their dayshift at Rikers."

If that's the case (the "felt up" part), you should have stopped them immediately and demanded to speak to management. That's not okay. 

The airport-esque bag scanning machines at Roundabout-owned

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 01:46:09 PM

The security and house staff at Nederlander and Jujamcyn houses have been obnoxious and overbearing for years. This is nothing terribly new. Surly, ill-tempered and ill-prepared. I can't say the same thing about the same people that work at Shubert houses. 

At this point, I avoid those line situations like the plague if I can (easier to do now without the Covid checks-- which were, of course, necessary at the time), and if I'm treated poorly, I give it right back to t

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 7 2024, 05:45:21 PM

Ke3 said: "jv92 said: "I mean, I think it's insulting to the scores of (marginalized) peoplewho died, fought, or fought and died, just so you could have these medications and lead a long, productive life with HIV, but I suppose that doesn't matter to the lunatics trying to runthe asylum now.Good luck with the slow suicide, and I hope Larry Kramer doesn't meet you and the pearly gates, because he'll have some things to say.

"

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 4 2024, 02:57:33 PM

I mean, I think it's insulting to the scores of (marginalized) people who died, fought, or fought and died, just so you could have these medications and lead a long, productive life with HIV, but I suppose that doesn't matter to the lunatics trying to run the asylum now. Good luck with the slow suicide, and I hope Larry Kramer doesn't meet you and the pearly gates, because he'll have some things to say. 

Glynnis Johns has died at 100  Jan 4 2024, 03:11:38 PM

She was lucky to have songwriters tailor these great songs to her lovely, "silvery" voice. We were lucky to have her. What a life and career. RIP. 

The Next Great Broadway Memoir?  Jan 2 2024, 08:50:58 PM

Ahrens and Flaherty have occasionally mentioned writing a dual memoir about their collaboration, which I'd imagine would be something like Kander and Ebb's COLORED LIGHTS. Like that book, I don't think it'd be dishy and bitchy (which DON'T rhyme), but informative, fun and a little inspiring. So I hope that happens. Those are the kinds of memoirs I like. If LuPone writes another, I'd wait for it to joins the remainder bin (cyber or physical) before purchasing. Meantime,

What is Bob Wankel doing?  Nov 5 2023, 08:36:44 PM

Schoenfeld and Jacobs also had Michael Bennett, and while I'm not sure his two big blockbusters post-SEESAW hold up as well as pieces of writing, the man knew how to put on a damn good show.  And in terms of plays, they had Peter Shaffer, Tom Stoppard, Mike Nichols, and so on and so on. I do think talent has something to do with it, and it's not that people are less talented now, but they seem to, especially in the past five or seven years, be rather... fettered rather than un.&n

What is Bob Wankel doing?  Nov 5 2023, 08:27:58 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "My proposed solution is to give all theatre equal respect. Forget how big a house is, how much a production costs, where the location is... who cares? Let the capitalist producers worry about those things. We as audiences have no need to. Why should we care even a little if Here We Are OR a play makes it to Broadway? Audiences can see it where it is now. If there is further demand, let it run where it is. Change cast if necessary. Is it really so hard for people t

Sondheim on "Oklahoma"  Jun 3 2023, 08:33:31 PM

joevitus said: "MemorableUserName said: ""Stephen Sondheim, whom Hammerstein took under his wing in the summer when he was writingOklahoma!, said ina recent interviewthat his mentor “took a play that was about homosexuality in the West and turned it into a sunny musical…beyond what Lynn Riggshad written, about the opening of territories, the promise of America.” (“The play had distinct homoerotic undertones in the relationship between Curly and Jeeter,” Sondheim clarified in an email to me; Hammerstein changed Jeeter’s name to Jud in the musical.)"

https://www.orartswatch.org/the-hidden-history-of-oklahoma/
"

I've read Green Grow the Lilacs many times, and this interpretation is utterly absurd. Riggs was gay, something I don't think a lot of people know, but that doesn't really illuminate his play's subtext anymore than Sondheim and Furth being gay illuminates Company's (and we all know what they thought of that interpretation). It confounds the whole meaning of the play, where two men are competing for the woman they both want.

Is this really something Sondheim said, or is it an Onion parody?
"

I heard him say it in person during one of his salons with Frank Rich. So, yes. 

Have you read any of the other Riggs plays, btw? Just asking out of curiosity. I really liked them. 

Sondheim on "Oklahoma"  Jun 3 2023, 06:41:03 PM

leefowler said: "If you're suggesting that Jud is into glory holes, I'm all in."

That’s a take on OKLAHOMA! I’d be curious to see. Jud is a fascinating character. 

Sondheim on "Oklahoma"  Jun 3 2023, 06:37:56 PM

It should be noted, too, that Riggs was gay. There’s an anthology of some of his collected plays recently published (including Green Grow) and they’re really interesting, with more gay subtext to be found. 

I doubt it, but I wonder if SS ever discussed homosexuality with Oscar— not necessarily his, of course. I can’t imagine Oscar being as homophobic as some of his contemporaries, or his collaborator and his hateful wife, although Yip Harburg made some mean

NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Apr 26 2023, 08:50:07 PM

Robbie2 said: "chrishuyen said: "by the way, does anyone know what Sorry I Asked is from? It seems to be a Liza standard now, but I can't find what show it was originally written for"

K&E wrote this song but don't believe it's from any show
"

They wrote A LOT of special material for Liza (and others-- Chita, of course, too) over the years. They're all sort of self-contained little plays in themselves-- "Ring Them

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Mar 23 2023, 10:01:44 AM

AnythingYouDo said: "In this article, Sondheim’s biographer David Benedict says “only about 60% of the piece was written.” However, a commenter on the article claims a 2017 draft of the show was “122 pages with songs throughout.” I’ve heard a draft of the show has circulated but I haven’t seen anything of it.

Maybe Sondheim and Ives scrapped that draft when they restarted work on the show during the pandemic? Or maybe Benedict is repeating Mackintosh’s quote?

I hope we know more about what this production will be soon. His 93rd birthday would be a good day to provide an update…
"

I feel like Benedict's biography is going to be a real slog-- if it even gets finished! What a bland piece of clickbait that was. I've never been impressed with what he's written about the individual shows. I often find Brits have their own ideas about Ameircan musicals and their authors that are utterly pretentious, and lack the understanding of the alive-ness and "New York-ness" of the form. There are exceptions. Benedict is not one of them. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll have to wait for an American to be Sondheim's Sam Wasson or Neal Gabler. 

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Mar 21 2023, 06:26:19 PM

In the Dramatists Guild's magazine tribute issues to Sondheim, in a convo between Lapine, Weidman and Ives (lead by Lin-Manuel Miranda), Ives finishes things off by saying that they were looking for a home for the show, and that it's basically finished. He and Mantello had a lot to do with shaping it for the reading that happened in the weeks before Sondheim died. And that conversation probably took place late last summer? And all of those collabs. say how damned hard Steve was on him

Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!  Mar 21 2023, 11:22:37 AM

“Bottom of the Glass” was the VERY original opening that was cut early in Boston. Herman often referred to it as “static”, but maybe it was just too arty for what was expected from “a Jerry Herman musical.” “A Sensible Women” was written as a replacement. It’s a good song, and much more of a straightforward “I am the Madwoman” establishing number. Then IT got cut for whatever reason. 

I think by the

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?  Mar 18 2023, 10:52:01 PM

Same argument for most of them. As much as I love Julie Andrews, a Lifetime Achiwvemwnt award for 4 shows?

One was a cultural phenomenon— one of the most artistically and commercially successful musicals of all time. Another is an acknowledged classic, however flawed some find it. Her screen performances also introduced many to the magic of telling stories through songs. So, yes. She has never won. Mea culpa Judy Holliday and Elizabeth Seal, but she shoul

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?  Mar 18 2023, 08:19:35 PM

John Kander or John Guare. Or Tom Jones— the FANTASTICKS/110 IN THE SHADE one. Not the silver throated pop singer. 

The only person on that list I’d give it to is Julie Andrews. 

Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden  Jan 17 2023, 09:20:53 AM

'Fraid not, because I'm planning my own delusion for the Winter Garden this spring-- MAME, FOLLIES and PACIFIC OVERTURES with original sets and costumes in rep. 

Lloyd Webber is a savvy man of the theatre, and one wielding some power when it comes to booking Shubert houses. I'm sure there's a reason he picked the Imperial. He did sort of demand his PHANTOM play the Majestic after all. 

Why hasn't Patti LuPone played Dolly?  Jan 3 2023, 10:47:27 AM

Strange Lupone said: "Ever notice how Patti is always the victim?"

Oh yes, and I roll my eyes in almost every case now, but I don’t see how “too ethnic” would be a concern. Too cold, too self-absorbed, not all that charming— yes.  

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You