pixeltracker

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.- Page 2

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#25Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:19am

Triplethreat, how much are the orch seats?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#26Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 12:37pm

I'll be there. Say hi,

TrpleThreat89
#27Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 2:31pm

I paid $127 for the orchestra seats. Got them pretty much right when they went on sale to the public.

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#28Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 4:28pm

For those of you who are on facebook, but haven't seen it yet, Sutton Foster has her very fan page now that she updates herself! It's very exciting! So, if you're a fan of hers, stop by and 'like' her! Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

www.facebook.com/suttonlfoster

I can't wait to hear everyones thoughts on the first preview tonight!!

massofmen
#29Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 9:05pm

i look forward to this show..because I have a feeling it will bomb badly. from 110 in the shade, to Pal Joey, to Bye Bye Birdie to Anything Goes, i think this will make the list of "why does roundabout still produce shows/musicals"

Really? Hire the woman who was fired from grease to direct and choreograph your show? Genius.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#30Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 9:17pm

When was Kathleen Marshall fired from Grease?

And the last time she worked for Roundabout she gave them The Pajama Game which was one of their biggest hits. They were happy to produce any show she wanted.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#31Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 10:12pm

110 in the Shade was wonderful, and Kathleen Marshall wasn't fired from Grease.

Dollypop
#32Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 10:47pm

Kathleen Marshall was fired from MAME THE MUSICAL.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

DirectorGP
#33Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 10:48pm

Lets not forget the amazing Pajama Game as well. Marshall is an excellent director and was never fired from Grease!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#34Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:54pm

Surprised no one has posted yet about this...a friend I was with described this as a good Encores (although he did say he preferred No, No Nanette!). It's an apt description and doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad production. I generally love Encores, and if you approach this revival the way you would one of their productions you'll probably be happy.

The set is the standard ship set-up. The costumes are fun, but typical of what you might imagine Anything Goes costumes to be.

The two stars of the show are Colin Donnell (where was he when they did Pal Joey) and Laura Osnes. The two roles that can sometimes turn out boring and bland were fantastic. Colin is handsome, suave, charming and sings wonderfully. He kind of reminded me of Jon Hamm in looks. Laura has a beautiful voice and loads of presence.

Sutton is fine as Reno, but nothing outstanding. I'm sure there will be a zillion comparisons to Patti, and why shouldn't there be? You can at least understand what Sutton's singing, although I kind of like all of Patti's slurring and vowel-only lyrics. Sutton can dance up a storm, and certainly has endurance, but some of the singing just wasn't brassy enough for me, especially during Blow, Gabriel Blow.

Like many Encores productions parts of the book just seem so creaky. I know this isn't supposed to be a masterpiece of storytelling, but there could be a little more zip in the book scenes. This will probably come during the preview period.

I'm sure the Sutton fans, who were out in full force tonight, will be coming on to RAVE about their diva, but their reaction in the theater tonight seemed a little overkill.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#35Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:00am

Thanks, Whizzer! Based on the preview videos that were floating around the web, it sounded [to me] like they lowered parts of the score. Was this the case?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 12:00 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#36Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:10am

I honestly am not familiar enough with the original keys enough to say...

And I know after they released that press video of the title song people were worried that the tap break was too long. Yes, it is long, but you feel like you want it at the time.

In general I felt the show was under-choreographed. Up until that point I don't think there was one click of a tap shoe. There was some (nice) dancing during De-Lovely, but other than that not much. Anything Goes does turn into 42nd St, but it does the trick and elates the audience.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

After Eight
#37Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:17am

I found it a pleasant show, ably staged and choreographed. I don't think any of the performers sold the songs as they ought to be. I've never heard "I Get a Kick Out of You" fail to register as it did tonight. The production numbers came off the best, and they were good rousers. The costumes are very attractive, and the show is very nice to look at---- a welcome change nowadays.

I did not feel the same as the estimable Whizzer about the two performers he singled out for praise. I thought Sutton Foster was ok, Adam Godley was amusing, Joel Grey and John McMartin scored some good laughs, and Jessica Walter was a welcome presence.
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 12:17 AM

ohjustjake
#38Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:19am

Hi everyone. I just got back from the first preview and I only have time to write a really quick update - I'll give a full one tomorrow if anyone wants it.

Basically, I loved every single second of it. I sat second row mezz and from where I sat, it looked like the entire balcony was full so I'm guessing the orchestra was full too. I thought the set looked gorgeous - it's basically a three floor ship that separates in the center to create different spaces throughout the ship, the staterooms slide in from the wings.

I think the real star of the show is the dancing. The act 1 finale is SO breathtaking that it received applause throughout the entire dance. I thought Sutton was fantastic and really shines in the role. Colin is perfection. Laura is really great, but there's not much you can do with Hope, but she does push it to the limit.

And really quickly, the one thing that REALLY bothered me about the show was JOEL GREY. Every single joke landed flat - it was awkward to watch him at times. I really feel like they could've got someone better for the role. It's not as if they need his name to sell tickets.

I'll update more later. But overall, I thought it was great. It definitely felt like an actual performance, not just the 1st preview. It's great to see an older musical back on Broadway. (though it would've been nice to have a larger orchestra haha, but one can dream).

dave1606
#39Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:34am

I was there tonight as well. Honestly it came off as just ok.

Sutton was decent. I may get murdered here, but I am sorry this just isn't her ideal role. (and I actually like Sutton. I have seen her in everything since Drowsy).

She sings and dances well, but she lacks the fierceness I wanted in the role. (I imagined someone like Katie Finneran.)

Joel Grey was bad. He definitely has a charm to his stage presence, but he couldn't remember his lines, and that act II "Be Like the Bluebird" song was beyond painful. He did the already dated book no favors.

I was definitely impressed by Colin Donnell, and I loved Jessica Stone. I also naturally loved Jessica Walters and thought she was an utter delight, selling many of the same jokes the Joel wasn't.

I actually loved the choreography. The title sing is simply amazing. I was also a big fan of Blow Gabriel Blow.

I thought the orchestra sounded great!

Overall it was a pleasant enough evening. However, my biggest issue is that the show had too creaks for me. The first forty minutes were rough going. I didn't think the direction was anything noteworthy, which to me is surprising for a show that has been done in every high school across America. I wanted them to justify a bit more why this was being brought back. It felt like Roundabout playing it safe, and for them I am sure it will payoff. Their subscribers will love it and I think the show will definitely be a hit for them.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#40Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:50am

I enjoyed it immensely. I will be very surprised if this is not a big hit.

As others have said, Joel Grey is the weakest member of the cast. The three people with me all thought so too.

For me, the MEN are the stars of the show. They are solid all the way around. Fabulous dancers. And Colin Donnell...*swoon*...ahem, as I was saying, Colin Donnell has a wonderful voice, great timing and a lot of charisma. Also, Adam Godley is hilarious as Lord Oakleigh.

Sutton Foster is that girl in high school who got an "A" on every test and was nice, but you never really knew her. She gives an "A" performance and dances brilliantly. I think this is also the first time I've seen her be really sexy. (Nod to Kathleen Marshall.)

Can't wait to see it again!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 12:50 AM

AlfieByrne
#41Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:54am

I think the biggest laughs came from the 3 minor mishaps on stage. (glasses not falling off of John McMartin's face as Joel Grey taps his head and John having to physically drop them to the hat; Adam Godley's sword not coming out of his scabbard on his first try due to some clip, and Jessica Walter's reaction becoming amazingly overdone and hilarious; and the prison gate being accidentally pushed open as Joel Grey bangs on them)

I didn't think Joel Grey was horrible. He was quite charming. Be Like the Bluebird wasn't good, but I enjoyed the rest of his performance. And I do think that the title song and Blow, Gabriel Blow are the highlights.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 1:07am

So it wasn't done on the cheap?

HBBrock
#43Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 1:07am

We have tickets through Hiptix EXTREME right (last two seats) mezzanine Row FF. How are the views from here?

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#44Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 1:20am

I sat 10th Row Orchestra, dead center. It was a wonderful view!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#45Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 2:28am

Just got back.

I left with the duplicitous feeling of dissapointment and encouragement. Dissapointment because the show was sort of a big bore, with the exception of a few of the production numbers, but encouraged because it is only the first preview, of course, and there's nowhere to go but up from here.

The Orchestra was simply lovely. Sounded great, and good energy from the musicians and the musical director.

Sutton was fine, but miscast. She's just to bland to play Reno Sweeney and she blended in with the other chorus girls during "Blow Gabriel, Blow" She was trying to be sexy, I guess, for her character, and it just came off as the usual old quirky dorky Sutton that we know. that said, she's a great little hoofer and dancer, and is decent upon the first preview, so I'm sure that she will improve.

Joel Grey looked like he was suffering from Stritch syndrome- forgetting lines, blocking, choreography, and not one joke landed with the audience. Not one. But with time, I think he can make something of the role, he just wasn't at his best tonight, and it's tough because he's JOEL GREY so you expect perfection, and that's not what happened tonight.

for me, John McMartin was the highlight - he was so funny and charming, I just loved him.

Laura Osnes - my first time seeing her, and I never watched that Grease show, so I don't know her from a hole in the wall - that said- she was very lovely! Her voice was gorgeous, and she was the perfect ingenue for this role.

Colin Donnel - Also have no idea who he was, but was so impressed. Great voice, presence, and dancing.

Jessica Walters- I love this woman. That is all

As someone says, the males in the chorus steal the production numbers! They were on fire tonight, and work together well as a team.

One of the things that irked me was Sutton and Colin commenting on some of the things they were listing during "You're the top" For example- Sutton goes "your Camembert", and then makes a face as a wink to the audience as if to say "Camenbert is gross" It just doesn't make any sense in the context of the show to do that. It's not a list of backhanded compliments, it's a list of things that are the best of what they are, and that took me out of the song. It happened again with "Ovaltine" Colin did a "soso" hand gesture. Just a small thing that irked me. Maybe no one else was bothered by it, but I was. These characters should be believing what they are singing, not commenting on it.

The show just needs to be cleaned up (a lot), and tightened (a little), Marshall should stick to what she does best, and that is as a choreographer. the show was at it's best during the production numbers (as a good old fashioned musical should be), however the book scenes just lagged and there was nothing going on direction wise. So many missed opportunities.

And during the solos, the actors looked as if they were given no direction at all They either sit on a box and pine, or stand on a stair and pine, or sit on a box, then stand on a stair and pine. Very repetative and boring.

So, things just need to be a little more livened up in between the songs, and we might have a pretty fun show on our hands. Don't know if I can say good, but fun.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Dancecaptain2
#46Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 3:27am

Actually, some of the Porter lyrics to "You're the top are supposed to be backhanded compliments that get mixed in with the others, ie broccoli/camembert. Broccoli only being good because it was a relatively new US crop in the 20's and camembert fine but stinky. It isn't just praise it's playfulness.

I wish the word dorky would be retired in reference to Sutton. But it is to be expected that some will insist on describing her as that no matter how she looks, acts, sings or dances. Even in those brief rehearsal clips of "Top" with Sutton and Colin I see a similar playful affection to that exhibited here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfqIXiLxSE

Dancecaptain2
#47Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 3:39am

Updated On: 3/11/11 at 03:39 AM

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#48Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:34am

Who are the understudies?

Dollypop
#49Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 7:36am

What's the show curtain like?

Do they sell merch?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 07:36 AM

Videos