pixeltracker

'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of "Being Alive'- Page 2

'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of "Being Alive'

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#25'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/23/11 at 11:18pm

Favorite AND Definitive = LuPone's! In concert, it's just thrilling.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#26'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/23/11 at 11:28pm

I've only ever liked Dean Jones' version.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#27'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/23/11 at 11:51pm

Definitive = Dean Jones
Favorite (best vocal) = LuPone

Bernadette's is also stunning, though. I think Patti deserves this one, however, because no one can sing "Not a Day Goes By" life Bernie.

LoLo2
#28Judy Kaye
Posted: 6/24/11 at 12:22am

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Judy Kaye's marvelous rendition from the live recording "A Stephen Sondheim Evening," which was then also included on the 3-disc "A Collector's Sondheim." Perhaps not 'definitive,' especially since (I think) it has some cuts, but so moving. I don't really believe in the concept of one definitive version of almost anything, but love that, the original Dean Jones, and was quite thrilled with Neil P. H.'s in the taped concert.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#29Judy Kaye
Posted: 6/24/11 at 7:12am

No cuts in it, LoLo2, except the dialogue interjections. it's just an arrangement to make the song really work for one singer without those interjections so it's actually longer than most solo performances of the song.

And I completely agree on the performance. It's the best, along with Jones's performance on the OBCR.

CurtainCall
#30'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/24/11 at 8:05am

If Dean Jones defined the song, then Raúl Esparza redefines it for me and gives me the one I listen to.

The song doesn't make a great deal of sense out of context, for me, the ladies are scratched from the race, which relieves me of having to comment on Patti Lupone's inability to enunciate..

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#31'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/25/11 at 1:23am

I agree with Raul Esparza!!! Most powerful rendition of 'Being Alive" ever.

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#32'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/25/11 at 4:16am

Dean Jones is still my favorite. I especially like watching him record his performance in the historic D. A. Pennebaker documentary of the making of the OBC album in 1971. It's very moving.

I also love Bernadette Peters but am not crazy about Streisand's take on the song...to my taste it's too overstressed and mannered. Updated On: 6/25/11 at 04:16 AM

Musical Director 109
#33'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:32am

I love the OCR of this show and Dean Jones rendition. However, for me, I will never hear that song again without thinking of Raul. Just the opening chords of the piano reduce me to tears.

Musical Director 109
#33'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:32am

I love the OCR of this show and Dean Jones rendition. However, for me, I will never hear that song again without thinking of Raul. Just the opening chords of the piano reduce me to tears.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of 'Being Alive'
Posted: 6/25/11 at 9:20am

Patti LuPone or Norm Lewis.

Videos