On A Clear Day

Miranda3
#25On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/21/11 at 9:09pm

Pardon my ignorance, but are we allowed to post links here to YouTube? I found an old video there of Harris/Cullum performing songs from the original show, which I think is from the Lerner appreciation program that someone referenced earlier in this thread. If I can post it, everyone can see it without buying the DVD referenced earlier. Just joined this board so probably should go read "terms of use" or whatever, but I thought somebody would know.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#26On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/22/11 at 12:32am

I don't think the YouTube police will mind too much. In any case, here it is-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyw-HEAUr40

Since they're mining the Lane-Lerner score of ROYAL WEDDING for the show, I think they're missing a golden opportunity by not reworking one of its numbers into "How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I've Been A Liar ALL My LIVES".

It's not too far-fetched when one considers the deeper implications of "What Did I Have That I Don't Have?".

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#27On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/22/11 at 12:44am

justoldbill, that wouldn't really work in this version. David doesn't become aware of Melinda and how Dr. Bruckner is using him to get to her until very late in the show, which is when he sings "What Did I Have That I Don't Have?"

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#28On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/22/11 at 12:59am

It's a joke. Remember jokes?

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#29On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/22/11 at 3:40am

Gypsy 9, do you really think "Come Back To Me," a huge hit from the original score, "What Did I Have That I Don't Have?" and "She Wasn't You?" are just so so?

Having said that, it always struck me that "Come Back To Me' sounds - almost precisely - like an upbeat version of "Nimue's Song" from Camelot, a score with thee same lyricist but a different composer.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#30On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/22/11 at 5:25am

I am afraid that I do consider ON A CLEAR DAY's score, aside from the title song and "Wait Till We're 65", to be only serviceable. The pleasure that I got from seeing the original production was derived from Barbata Harris, William Daniels, and John Cullum in that order. For me the score doesn't come close to FINIAN'S RAINBOW which has one great song after another. Sorry if this upsets fans of the score.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Gaveston2
#31On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/22/11 at 6:39am

Gypsy9, Finian's Rainbow has such a legendary score, I doubt many will take offense that you find it superior. I love almost all of Clear Day's numbers, but I agree with you.

Branson East Profile Photo
Branson East
#32On A Clear Day
Posted: 8/25/11 at 8:51pm

On a Clear Day, you are more than forgiven, and it's not early Alzheimer's: Harry Connick Jr. and Ray Conniff have both recorded for Columbia.

Videos