News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for justoldbill

justoldbill Profile Photo
Member Name: justoldbill
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Great songs given to minor/insignificant characters  Feb 4 2024, 02:48:07 PM

"Another Hundred People"

Kander and Ebb’s 3rd best show  Jan 21 2024, 07:27:38 PM

ZORBA.

Funniest Lyrics  Jan 21 2024, 07:24:31 PM

He left River City the library building but he left all the books to HER.

Favorite Solo Shows?  Nov 4 2023, 06:11:25 PM

MARK TWAIN TONIGHT! - Hal Holbrook

THE BELLE  OF AMHERST - Julie Harris

3 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'  Sep 2 2023, 08:21:13 AM

They're good, fun words to sing.

Documentary on Sondheim: A Musical Tribute benefit from 1973  May 4 2023, 02:47:02 AM

Kurt Peterson did a great job with the video.  I was at the tribute at the Shubert in 1973.  Probably my second favorite night in the theatre- my first favorite being the closing night of FOLLIES at the Winter Garden.  (Another Kurt Peterson performance!)

Most suspenseful play you've seen?  Apr 30 2023, 10:11:40 PM

Hal Prince's production of THE VISIT with the New Phoenix Rep (with John McMartin and Rachel Roberts) in the mid-1970's.  A remarkable production I will never forget.

1961 Camelot, why no Tony's???  Apr 19 2023, 02:01:37 PM

And what an album!  Not only enjoyable and listenable, but the most beautiful gate-fold presentation Columbia had/has ever done.  Every living room in America had to have it.  And pushed, as it was, by the Columbia Record Club, every living room had it.

Dec 29 2022, 10:53:57 PM

You Must Meet My Wife

Follies-San Francisco Playhouse  Jul 6 2022, 03:19:09 PM

Some double-casting is not out of the ordinary.  When Victoria Mallory (Young Heidi) left the original company, Marti Rolph (Young Sally) took over the role of Young Heidi as well, repeating it in St. Louis and Los Angeles.  There was enough time in the course of the evening to make the change.  I saw Miss Rolph doing both roles and I have a recording from L.A. of her doing both roles (wonderfully).

PETITION: The 2022 Broadway Revival Cast of COMPANY Should Record & Release Its Own Cast Album!  Jun 22 2022, 11:40:22 AM

If you're interested in all this gender-flipping nonsense (which I'm not), there's already the London recording (which I'm not a fan of).  Wake up; they got it right in 1970.  It's the best recording of the score there ever was or ever will be.  Only 300 performances of the current production speaks for itself.

SONG OF BERNADETTE musical  Apr 28 2022, 05:17:54 PM

This could have been an Al Carmines project.

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway  Mar 30 2022, 09:23:27 AM

I hope they don't change the final scene.  I've always thought it one of the best in musical theatre.  Also, I've always thought the way Lerner, in the film, was able to make Merlyn a creature of Arthur's imagination, only appearing in times of need, very interesting.  If that could be accomplished on stage. it might minimize the "fairy dust" being blown around.

costume/scenery reveals  Feb 19 2022, 12:26:39 PM

"Loveland".

Ryan Reynolds Hugh Jackman  Feb 18 2022, 10:13:15 PM

Perhaps a marriage-equality version of THE FOURPOSTER.  And Jake Gyllenhaal could understudy both roles.

Meet Me in St. Louis Broadway (1989)  Feb 11 2022, 09:24:40 PM

Well, it's not really a "Christmas" show, is it?  Christmas doesn't occur until near the end of the show, with the World's Fair finale actually happening the following Spring/Summer, and the one song involved ("Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is somewhat melancholy.  There's really no over-all "Christmas-y" feeling to the show.  Or to the film, for all that.  If anything is emphasized in the film, it's Halloween.

And, yes, I actually saw opening night at the Uris- my friend, Bruce Pomahac was the musical director.

Question about Larry Kert and the original Company  Jan 21 2022, 04:04:38 PM

While these two examples have nothing to do with the Tonys, remember Mary Sue Berry subbing on the CAMELOT recording for an indisposed Marjorie Smith's Nimue and, of course, Stephen Sondheim's "You ain't getting eighty-eight cents from ME, Rose" for an unnotified Erv Harmon on the GYPSY recording (he had no vocals, and was not on Columbia's call sheet for the recording).

Also, it's my blurry memory reminding me that Larry Kert's involvement as stand-by

re: Company Original London Cast album  Dec 28 2021, 04:48:08 PM

When did this thread change from the 1972 London Cast recording to the 2018 London Cast recording?

re: Company Original London Cast album  Dec 27 2021, 07:09:45 PM

And yes, of course, Larry Kert and Susan Browning overlaid their dialogue track during TICK-TOCK.

A wonderful Susan Browning story goes here.  I waited at the stage door after the reunion concert at the Vivian Beaumont.  When Susan came out we chatted. and, through my tears, I expressed my disappointment at having missed COMPANY the first time around, but now I felt I had finally seen it.  She took my hand and said "Oh, honey, come with me".  She took me b

RIP Harvey Evans  Dec 25 2021, 09:23:59 PM

Stephen Sondheim once said Harvey Evans was the nicest guy in show business.  No argument there.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You