pixeltracker

OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews- Page 2

OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#25OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/23/11 at 8:22am

We didn't know about this until we walked in the doors at 2:55 Sunday afternoon. Just after I picked up our tickets at Will Call, a woman in the next line said, "Stockard's out. We're rainchecking." My heart sank a little. I relayed this to my friend, who looked immediately crestfallen. After a short vacillation (which was more like quick, momentary denial on our parts), I indecisively decided we'd go in. (In reality, we didn't have much else in the way of options, it being so close to curtain.)

Boy, were we glad we did. I've no doubt Stockard Channing has earned her accolades, but her standby, Lauren Klein, was a pitch-perfect Polly. She absolutely fucXing nails it from the word go. Nothing about the play or the ensemble felt off. It was as though she'd been performing this role nightly with the company for quite some time, and she gives a sharp, studied, lived-in performance.

I don't know if Stockard's back yet, but if she's not, I'd tell anyone who has reservations that, unless she is the sole reason you bought tickets to this show, you shouldn't let it deter you. As AC said above, the play really is the star here, and Lauren Klein does her part to knock it out of the park.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#26OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/23/11 at 10:30pm

Saw the matinee today, Lauren was on, and she was also ON. The play was very well written and very heart-wrenching. Many tears shed today.

Truly great performances by the cast and a very touching piece of theatre.

Also, the mezzanine was maybe 1/4 full, we were last row, on the aisle house left and moved up to the front rows of the mezzanine and then orchestra.

B-maniac Profile Photo
B-maniac
#27OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/24/11 at 12:04am

Can someone send a PM telling me what happens in the end of this play?

I had to leave the theater early and I don't know what happened to Henry and the other characters.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#28OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/24/11 at 9:14am

I decided to see the matinee yesterday. Thanks to Channing's absence, there were plenty of good cancellations to be had, and I ended up third row center.

Klein was very good overall, and the ensemble didn't seem any less cohesive in Channing's absence. They all performed together very well. I thought Keach and Light were especially "on" yesterday. Griffiths continues to astound me, and Sadoski is just so solid.

If I had one complaint about Klein's performance--and I do--it was that she didn't appear to have that many layers. She started out angry and stayed there. I missed Channing's emotional build and break. Maybe it had something to do with the severe southern accent she affected, which didn't seem right for someone who's been living in California and Washington for 50 years. (It also didn't make sense, considering Silda's line that she and Polly were "Jewish girls who lost their accent along the way)

Also--yesterday's audience was AWFUL. Lots of bitching about Stockard being out, not so sotto voce whispering, and five cell phones by my count--including a very prolonged one at a climactic moment.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 11/24/11 at 09:14 AM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#29OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/24/11 at 9:50am

YES! Lots of cell phones, one during Lyman's breakdown at the end of the first act, I believe. And they let it ring, without even trying to silence it!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#30OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/24/11 at 10:09am

That one happened right across the aisle from where I was sitting. It was really bad, and wasn't helped by the fact that the people next to them were *loudly* cursing them out as the guilty party tried to locate their phone. I loved how Light waited until the phone stopped before delivering her line. Griffiths looked pissed--she stared very angrily in the direction of the phone.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

jaxel614
#31OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 11/25/11 at 4:59pm

Just saw the matinee. Thought the play was brilliant and really happy I was able to book a tickets earlier in the week. Apparently this was Stockard's last performance out, so if you have tickets in the near future you should be fine. BUT if Klein is still on GO. Having been initially disappointed with her absence, I was ridiculously pleased with how great she was.

Loved the play. The cast was amazing. Truly an ensemble piece.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#32OTHER DESERT CITIES Reviews
Posted: 2/25/12 at 2:46pm

"Wildly overrated, and of course Brantley would rave again. They should have sent Isherwood, who might have had a more measured response. The cast is more interesting, true, but the play is so superficial, and so clearly based on "A Delicate Balance " (and not very well) that Edward Albee should be given a credit. A play that gracefully and emptily soothes its audience, without ever provoking an honest emotion."

II finally saw the play last night, Jay, and while I disagree with you strongly about its merits, I thought very much about its relationship to "A Delicate Balance." Because the stories have nothing whatsoever to do with each other, one is not based on the other. But the commonalities are unmissable. ODC is an homage (the way Obsession was an homage to Vertigo - and yet, quite differently, as the stylistic and narrative differential is far greater between the two plays than it is between the two movies). Not an an adaptation. Tobias's and Lyman's equanimity, Claire's and Silda's alcoholism (one inveterate, the other authentically at bay)*, insolvency, dysfunctionality and tart wits, and the brother/sister in-law conviviality and upper crust ennui and philosophizing are in full force. And Brooke and Julie are both divorced (or separated), returned home, adore their aunts, have good relationships with their fathers (one more than the other), and are huge challenges to their moms. But Tobias and Agnes have a very different relationship than Lyman and Polly, and Agnes and Polly, the central characters, are two extremely different women. In each parents responsibilities for children, their own and the proxy sibling child, are dealt with. The love between Polly and Silda, as Tripp notably states and the audience can clearly appreciate, is palpable; whereas in ADB, there are few outward signs of sisterly affection But there are three children in ODC, and, a significant issue of contention for the marriage, only one in ADB. Humor, including arch sarcasm, along with some very brutal and jarring expressions of primal hatred (on the surface?), propel both plays.

The plays are completely different in style, plot, and genre. ADB deals with a crisis brought on by Harry and Edna's absurdist arrival at the family's house - and, among many other questions, some difficult to ascertain at first glance, asks the question what defines the parameters of family. ODC is a realistic play about American society and politics, as Brantley aptly noted, in the style of Lillian Hellman.

* or rather in one case the drinking the inveterate and the other at bay; the alcoholism in both case, of course, is a constant

Updated On: 2/25/12 at 02:46 PM

Videos