News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for AC126748

AC126748 Profile Photo
Member Name: AC126748
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Protesters at Suffs tonight
 Jul 3 2024, 08:45:12 AM

Embarrassing to have a group of demonstrators who all appear to be cis white women protesting one of the most diverse shows on Broadway.

Grant Gustin to depart WATER FOR ELEPHANTS on September 1st
 Jun 28 2024, 08:34:42 AM

The show is doing pretty well at the box office. I don't know if that's directly related to Gustin, but he got a huge round of entrance applause the night I saw the show. (No other principal did.) I thought he was fine -- nothing special -- but as others have said, it's admirable he decided to headline a new musical for his Broadway debut. I wish him well.

“N/A” at Lincoln Center Theater - Mitzi E. Newhouse
 Jun 28 2024, 08:09:20 AM

This feels like a play designed for regional theaters. I saw it earlier this week - Taylor is good, Villafañe less so (although she bears a striking physical resemblance to AOC), the production itself is sleek but a bit tiresome, even at just 80 minutes. The script couldn't be more slight. Even in a small theater, there were lots of empty seats (and it was a critics' preview, so heavily comped). The reviews are about what I expected.

ILLINOISE Reviews
 Jun 27 2024, 08:09:44 AM

I was there last night (second time). Tyrone Reese was on for Rachel Lockhart as Morgan; otherwise, full cast. The show is as wonderful as ever. Ricky Ubeda should have gotten a Tony nomination.

Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
 Jun 24 2024, 09:19:39 AM

I'm very sensitive to smoking smell. I was sitting third row and honestly don't recall it being aggressive at all.

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 24 2024, 08:05:35 AM

A couple observations based on yesterday's matinee:

It's nice to see Encores return to something that approximates their original model of production. Just like in the old days, the actors carried their scripts except in the production numbers, although they were used more as props than reference points. Anne Kaufmann did a fine job creating evocative moments with minimal scenery. The finale was especially moving, as was the rising tension in "No Moon." I'd love t

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jun 23 2024, 08:52:27 AM

I'll reserve judgment until I see it, of course, but the fact that Jackie and David Siegel are intimately involved gives me great pause on how the material will ultimately be portrayed. Schwartz also doesn't strike me as the ideal composer.

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jun 15 2024, 01:06:46 AM

TheaterMania has a more mixed appraisal:

Florence Welch and Martyna Majok’s New Gatsby Musical Sizzles as It Fizzles

Sandra Oh, Paige Gilbert, Ann Harada & more to star in NA premiere of Lucy Kirkwood's THE WELKIN
 Jun 12 2024, 11:22:30 AM

I loved it too. Acting as finely calibrated across a large cast as you see here is extremely rare nowadays. Kudos to director Sarah Benson. It's a true ensemble piece, although Sandra Oh, in what is arguably the central performance, is remarkable in her return to the New York stage. The play will not be to all tastes, and it's certainly not an easy night at the theater, but I haven't stopped thinking about it for days. That, to me, is the mark of a great work.

Regional Tony Award
 May 25 2024, 05:08:00 PM

I haven't seen any discussion of this. It was announced earlier in the week that the Wilma Theater in Philadelphia will receive this year's Regional Tony Award. Surprisingly, it is the first Pennsylvania theater to receive the honor in the award's 45-year history.

The American Theatre Wing presents the award based on the recommendation of the American Theatre Critics Association.

The Wilma is probably best known these days as the company that premiered FAT HAM in 2021, leading to its Pulitzer Prize win. They have also had a long association with Tom Stoppard, having offered the American premieres of several of his plays, including THE INVENTION OF LOVE and THE HARD PROBLEM.

https://whyy.org/articles/wilma-theater-philadelphia-tony-award-2024/

PRELUDE TO A KISS musical
 May 6 2024, 12:24:42 PM

I saw the penultimate performance on Saturday night. This musical is just not ready for prime time. It has none of the wit, charm or sweet sadness of the original play. Most of the score is not memorable and, with the exception of Rita's song "I Haven't Slept in Years," it doesn't really do much to define characters. The production looks clumsy and cheap, and some of the choreography was downright laughable. Chris McCarrell deserves some slack because he came in at the e

Lempicka false advertising
 Apr 21 2024, 09:50:25 AM

I'm a theater critic. Not for a publication on the magnitude of the NYT, but I've regularly had my reviews excerpted for ad copy. And often those excerpts have been misrepresentations of what I wrote. Either comments are taken out of context or invented from whole cloth by stitching words and phrases together. It's frustrating, and on several occasions, I've pointed it out to the press teams -- and their attitude is almost always a shrug and "that's just the way we do

UNCLE VANYA Previews
 Apr 11 2024, 07:50:51 AM

I thought Anika Noni Rose was superb in Caroline, or Change (justly deserving of her Tony) and in A Raisin in the Sun. On the other hand, I thought she was a weak link in the Cat on a Hot Tin Roof revival and really couldn't command the stage in a non-singing, leading role. I'm seeing this next weekend so am curious to hear the early reports.

MARY JANE Previews
 Apr 1 2024, 04:00:23 PM

Is the Rachel McAdams's first professional stage appearance ever? If so, it's gutsy for her to do a play like this that's a real acting tour de force. Wishing her the best.

PATRIOTS Previews
 Apr 1 2024, 03:38:46 PM

Per a press release issued by the production:

Michael Stuhlbarg will perform at tonight’s first preview performance of Patriots on Broadway at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, as scheduled. As media outlets have reported, the actor was randomly attacked near Central Park last night. The entire Patriots company fully supports Mr. Stuhlbarg, who feels fine and is looking forward to performing on stage tonight.

John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
 Apr 1 2024, 02:39:51 PM

How about we take a chunk of the NYPD's astronomical budget and put it toward getting the people who commit these acts off the street? The person who attacked Stuhlbarg has a history of violent aggression and probably untreated mental illness/addiction. I would not be surprised if that was the case for Cardoza's assailant too. These were absolutely preventable situations if the city actually cared about deterrence.

J. Antonio Rodriguez Forced to Stop Performing in Hadestown Tour Due to DACA Delays
 Mar 29 2024, 03:51:23 PM

The tour closes in May. I guess there's a possibility that he won't be allowed to return before it wraps up.

Sunday in the Park with George at The Axelrod Performing Arts Center
 Mar 19 2024, 03:30:57 PM

Owen22 said: "It's a beautiful production. I saw Graham play George last year at Pasadena Playhouse (in the Sarna Lapine production), and his performance has deepened since then (in between he played Nick in Virginia Woolf with Calista Flockhart and Zachary Quinto which may have had something to do with it). Was not, however, a fan of the recent Bway Elphaba who played Dot/Marie. However, I seemed to be in the minority (she did sing it well).

Eamon Foley is a director/

Sunday in the Park with George at The Axelrod Performing Arts Center
 Mar 18 2024, 03:53:08 PM

TheaterMania has a rave review for the production and leads:

https://www.theatermania.com/news/review-a-fresh-sunday-in-the-park-with-george-brims-with-color-and-light-in-new-jersey_1734364/

Lempika Runtime?
 Mar 2 2024, 12:50:07 PM

It was a full 3 hours at Williamstown.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You