Matilda Stage Door

Broadwaydreaming Profile Photo
Broadwaydreaming
#25Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/27/14 at 11:45pm

I do believe she does. The cast is really wonderful and Lesli is a sweetheart! With most shows geared towards kids, actors will come out in between performances. I witnessed this with The Little Mermaid, and was completely shocked that basically the whole cast came out to sign on a Wed. Mat. I also remember passing by Shubert Alley just as the Wed. Mats. were letting out. There were people waiting for signatures and the barricade was set up for Matilda. Hope this helps a bit! Hopefully someone on here can give you a straightforward answer.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#26Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/28/14 at 2:30pm

Thanks to you both! I'm not a religious "stage doorer", but I would like to meet Lesli and Chris Sieber. :)

KathyNYC2
#27Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/28/14 at 4:23pm

I've not seen Christopher Sieber come out of the stage door regularly.

Showface
#28Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/28/14 at 5:11pm

When I went in 2013 he came out, but very discreetly. He sort of walked quickly out after talking to someone briefly. Nobody recognized him, but I did. I didn't say anything. He obviously had somewhere to be, so I didn't get mad or anything.

KathyNYC2
#29Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/28/14 at 5:56pm

I certainly wasn't mad either. I have seen him enter the stage door - and seemed friendly enough. I saw him leave a back way on the day that Marcus D. was leaving the show = and he took a special moment say goodbye and give him a hug.

I was just commenting because Kade.Ivy was hoping to see both Chris and Lesli at the door and I wanted to warn and say that might not happen.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#30Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/29/14 at 12:48pm

Thanks to you both! That's totally fine. The Trunchbull is a demanding role, and I'm just excited at the chance to see him perform it!

I'm planning on doing Cabaret and Matilda on a Saturday. Which would y'all recommend for a matinee? Studio 54 is closer to my hotel than the Shubert.

KathyNYC2
#31Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/29/14 at 6:06pm

If I had to pick, I might say Matilda in the evening..because there will be less children there and you might have a better audience (though I must say I have personally never had any problem with the younger audience and I have been there a number of times.) You are probably not going to face that issue at Cabaret regardless of when you go.

That said, I personally would take the option where you are able to get better seats for Matilda - I sat pretty far back for Cabaret and I don't feel like I missed anything. I knew the play and the music already...it was just great to get the whole scope of the performance.

Yet, for Matilda - though some will disagree, I found sitting far away to be difficult in terms of understanding the words...and Matilda uses the orchestra aisles for the actors..which you miss if you are too far away.

And yes Christopher Sieber is SO worth the trip...he is my fav Trunch without a doubt.

Broadwaydreaming
#32Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 9/29/14 at 8:02pm

^ I agree. Definitely evening for Matilda, and sit closer up if you can. I went to the stage door after a matinee and it wasn't the greatest experience. Crying kids that didn't want to be there. One parent pretty much left their kids by the door to run over to Juniors. The two kids got into a fight and tore a playbill in half. Another kid kept asking over and over where Matilda was and another almost knocked over a barricade. You should have a much better experience at the evening performance!!

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#33Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:33pm

Ah, I went ahead and did the Matilda matinee and Cabaret in the evening. I didn't see these replies! Hopefully I can overlook the kids at Matilda… I figured Cabaret was a more "evening" experience.

I was also able to snag a front-row Riverbank seat for "The River" on the preceding Wednesday matinee!

Thank you both for your advice!

Broadwaydreaming
#34Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 10/1/14 at 11:04pm

You'll probably have better luck than I did. School is in session and most kids are probably not heading to the theater on a Wednesday. I went mid summer lol. Stand behind the middle section of the barricade. The kids tend to gather around the sides closest to the theater wall because they can't see over the barricade. Have fun!

KathyNYC2
#35Matilda Stage Door
Posted: 10/1/14 at 11:29pm

As I said, I have been to a number of Matilda matinees without issue. It was more a general recommendation.

I don't know which actors come out after a matinee however..and which ones stay in the theater.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy both shows..let us know..

Videos