pixeltracker

Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?- Page 2

Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?

aaaaaa15
#25Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/12/16 at 6:13pm

There are patterns that can be seen in the types of musical produced in the West End (NOT fringe) venues and Broadway, as well as the type that are successful in both. There is nothing offensive about saying that, and I say that as someone in the UK. Look at the massive Broadway success of Rent vs. its short run in the West End. Look at the last time an original musical (not an adaptation or jukebox) had a successful run in the West End that wasn't a Broadway transfer. I live in the UK and am constantly frustrated by the state of musicals vs. those in New York and often find myself having to go to fringe theatre in order to be satisfied the way I am when I visit New York and go to big Broadway houses. I personally think there is an element of British theatregoers and critics being pleased that this has been in London first and therefore viewing it positively to start with as a somewhat (but not really) 'British musical'. If it had started on Broadway and transferred, I doubt that there would have been this type of excitement. Perhaps I'm wrong!

Updated On: 9/12/16 at 06:13 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#26Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/12/16 at 6:27pm

neonlightsxo said: "aaaaaa15 I honestly think it's a matter of British vs American taste in musicals. They love spectacle, jukebox musicals and recognizable names. We like...actual substance.

Yes, just like Wicked.

"

ebontoyan
#27Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/12/16 at 8:33pm

Just curious...what makes Ben Platt so special that this is his Tony to lose?

Updated On: 9/12/16 at 08:33 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:49pm

Think this would take the Wilson?

neonlightsxo
#29Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/13/16 at 8:29am

ebontoyan said: "Just curious...what makes Ben Platt so special that this is his Tony to lose?"

He's giving a career defining-Alice Ripley N2N level performance. You have to see it to believe it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/13/16 at 8:37am

neonlightsxo said: "ebontoyan said: "Just curious...what makes Ben Platt so special that this is his Tony to lose?"

He's giving a career defining-Alice Ripley N2N level performance. You have to see it to believe it.

THIS. His performance is unlike anything I have seen.

"

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Liza's Headband
#31Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/13/16 at 10:10am

ebontoyan said: "Just curious...what makes Ben Platt so special that this is his Tony to lose?

"

Maybe you should actually go see his Tony Award-winning performance for yourself, then come back and answer your own question. 

ebontoyan
#32Groundhog Day -- Spring 2017?
Posted: 9/13/16 at 12:00pm

Oh I definitely will...although I need to stir up some interest (on my part) for the storyline. Just interested in why folks thought Ben Platt is so "special" Maybe by the time this show opens.  And I'm usually a minority in the boards, not liking shows most everyone on here are singing praises for (Fun Home, School of Rock, AAIP for the more recent examples)

PS: Thanks neon and bwayphreak for your insights!

Updated On: 9/13/16 at 12:00 PM

Videos