pixeltracker

Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?- Page 2

Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?

PennClassic Profile Photo
PennClassic
#25Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?
Posted: 4/21/23 at 8:09am

I saw VICTOR/VICTORIA in Chicago during its tryout run.  I enjoyed the show very much plus I was delighted to see Julie Andrews perform in person.  She was wonderful.  It did go through various changes prior to Broadway, which is typical during a tryout period.  I remember being impressed with the overall look of the show (sets, lighting, costumes) and was surprised that they were ignored by the Tony voters.  I also thought that Rachel York did a great job.  She may have been considered "over-the-top" but that's the type of character Norma was.  

Perhaps the reason for its lack of Tony recognition was that Blake Edwards was considered "too Hollywood" and, therefore, was disregarded by the Broadway community and, in particular, the nominating committee.

Updated On: 5/4/23 at 08:09 AM

Wayman_Wong
#26Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?
Posted: 4/21/23 at 12:06pm

I also enjoyed ''Victor/Victoria'' and seeing Julie Andrews back on a Broadway stage again, after so many years, was a thrill. Obviously, she wanted to return in a musical close to her heart, and the opportunity to work with her director-husband, Blake Edwards, was a giant factor. And Andrews' drawing power was still considerable enough to drive ''Victor/Victoria'' to over 700 performances. 

tt must've been a challenge to keep up with the weekly regimen of a Broadway show when she was over 60 and re-creating a film role she did 15 years earlier.

As for the Tony nominators, sometimes their tastes can be highbrow and snobby. It's easy to see why they'd sneer at ''Victor/Victoria'' and ''Big'' as the latest stage versions of hit movies. Also, Edwards was a newcomer to the Broadway community. It was easier for the nominators to acknowledge Graciela Daniele, one of their own, for Lincoln Center's ''Chronicle of a Death Foretold.'' What they ever saw in ''Swinging on a Star'' artistically or award-worthy beats me, other than the opportunity to shut ''Victor/Victoria'' and ''Big'' out of the Best Musical category.

Updated On: 4/21/23 at 12:06 PM

The Other One
#27Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?
Posted: 4/21/23 at 4:21pm

"Perhaps the reason for its lack of Tony recognition was that Blake Edwards was considered "too Hollywood" and, therefore, was disregarded by the Broadway community and, in particular, the nominating committee."

These things happened often.  Broadway is a lot more honest these days about its need for Hollywood drawing power, but resentment was often the name of the game when it came to Tony Awards in the past.  

Updated On: 4/21/23 at 04:21 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?
Posted: 4/21/23 at 11:53pm

Chase Miller said: "I recently watched the pro shot of Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews and couldn't understand why the show got no love from the tony awards besides Julie's nomination. I thought Rachel York almost stole the show and there are other great performances and set designs in the show. I didn't think the songs were good besides Le Jazz Hot but there were other worthy aspects of the show that should have been nominated."

How do I watch the proshot?

Chase Miller
#29Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?
Posted: 4/22/23 at 12:10am

How do I watch the proshot?"

https://youtu.be/qGIxw77_YsY

Videos