cvapb
#25Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/1/04 at 6:17pm

I think the show is dippy in general.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#26Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/2/04 at 1:19pm

I agree with most, LOVED Chenoweth! She obviously has the vocals, she had presences and was just great. I didn't HATE Matthew. I think he had charisma, but it was the wrong type. It wasn't so much energy as it was just charm. He was charming, but it felt like he was bored. I like watching him, just not in stuff like this. However, I loved Molly Shannon as Ms Shinn (one of my dream roles).

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

#27Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/2/04 at 3:11pm

Agreed...it sucked! Let it rest in peace.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#28Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/2/04 at 3:11pm

In defense, Matthew went w the direction he was given- looking so bland & innocent no one could ever become suspicious of him has a con man. But sadly, this meant the audience couldn't believe it either. The producers were really cheap too. Used a lot of the townspeople as background performers so they didn't have to pay(Actra) extras. Also used some of the set pieces from the recently closed show. I know a couple of people who refused the work cos they just felt it wasn't anything they wanted on their resume.

MusicalDirector109
#29Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/2/04 at 5:06pm

You can't play this show like they, in River City, are REAL people. The show is presentational AND NOT representational theatre. I love TMM but let THIS PRODUCTION DIE!!! I saw the DVD in one store for like $5.00. Kristin did look wierd. It was her hats (not period) and her hairstyle.

broadwayguy2
#30Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/2/04 at 5:08pm

a note from the author in teh script says that the characters should be played like REAL people and not caricatures. So that was HIS concept.

TheaterChef Profile Photo
TheaterChef
#31Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/6/04 at 5:36am

Blech. I found myself cringing everytime Broderick started to sing -- particularly in Marian the Librarian. *shudder*

Chenoweth sounded beautiful, but when it came to scenes with Broderick and her together, ugh. She had nothing to play off from.

I cringed through the entire film now that I come to think of it. If the director had the actors portray real people, this is just sad. The Music Man is a mockery of what America was at the turn of the century.

Molly Shannon added little to no enthusiasm to the part. The girl who played Eulalie in my high school's production did a far better job in my opinion.

Being my second time seeing this broadcast, I am twice ashamed of it.

"More than in any other performing arts the lack of respect for acting seems to spring from the fact that every layman considers himself a valid critic." --Uta Hagen

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#32Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/6/04 at 8:15am

Stone me in the center of town square, but I have sick affection for this adaptation, and love Matthew Broderick as Hill, there is an insanity to his performance that is addicting, then again I loved the original Starmites!

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#33Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/6/04 at 8:54am

Varley: I'm so non-conformist, I'm not conforming with you guys. Broderick rocks.

Stan: Great.

BWW.com Groupie: Wow, he put us in our place.
Other BWW.com Groupie: Yeah, we just got Varley-served.

Hamlet's father.

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#34Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/6/04 at 8:58am

"Varley-served", word, yo.

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#35Don't waste your time.
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:13am

I am sorry, but I wouldn't buy a Fuller Brush from MB's Harold Hill let alone a "boys band"! This adaptation was just horrid.
B

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Videos