Bootlegs

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#25re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 3:41pm

The difference between this and the MPAA is that if you wait 3-6 months, that movie you love will be available for commercial purchase. In our theatre world, you can wait 3-6 centuries and you won't get a copy of it. To quote Carol Channing "There will never be a substitute for live theatre and there never will be". But these shows don't go on forever and without us preserving them, these performances will die and they will never be seen by anyone ever again. And that makes me sadder than I can begin to explain.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 8/19/04 at 03:41 PM

broadwayguy2
#26re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 3:44pm

amen to that... Movie fans can still see brando,. deniro, dean, etc in a hundred years... but in ahundred years, who will be around who saw a performance from gwen, mary, or chita live in person?? no one.. cast recordings, TV performances, etc are the closest we have. it is like photos... they aren't the real thing or experience, but they preserve it and it's memory.

BT Profile Photo
BT
#27re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 3:47pm

Sorry - know it isn't fair, but it is just as illegal. The recording association has a very strong lobby here in DC, as does the motion picture association. Sometimes they honestly claim these restrictions are in place for the benefit of artists, more than often though it is to preserve revenues for the big recording companies. Yes, the same ones who are saying they don't want to make cast recordings anymore. Unfair, I agree. So just don't be obvious about the rules you're breaking, ok?

I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#28re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 3:49pm

"So just don't be obvious about the rules you're breaking, ok?"

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 8/19/04 at 03:49 PM

BT Profile Photo
BT
#29re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:02pm

Matt - just saying that if you happen to photocopy a piece of sheet music or the book of a show or burn a cd of an unofficially recorded version of a piece of live theater you shouldn't advertise it.

I think some people naively thought it was ok, so a gentle reminder for them to keep quiet about it is fine. Copyright is a big issue right now. Napster time.

I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#30re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:03pm

Oh, that's another subject though. Don't get me started on that. Rewind to 1980 "Tape Recorders will be the end to us all!!!!"

scottwalker
#31re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:04pm

Hairspray opens and is reviewed.A couple of years later they RE-REVIEW...Compare Marissa and Carly...It is so sad.It is like Kathy Brier never even did the show.She was there when I first saw it...And she was fantastic.
Seems like the "Producers" could very cheaply make tapes of each different cast and eventually put them out there to help get their investments back...Turn a profit...help raise MORE money to put more shows out there for everyones entertainment.
They would not have to be anything elaborate.Just one or two cameras in the theatre somewhere...I would buy copies of all the different casts I have seen of different shows...
Lea Salonga in "Miss Saigon".
Mzz.Peters in "Annie Get Your Gun" or Gypsy.
The original cast of the Lion King...with Jason Raize and Heather Headley and Lebo M.
Aida original cast.
Susan Egan as Belle.
Producers,LSOH,Caberet,it goes on and on...
Sometime it would be ready to release these...sell them to the people who would want them...I think that MOST of the people who would want them,would be the theatre fans who had already seen it....As for selling here on line...NO!!!

BT Profile Photo
BT
#32re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:07pm

I've always wanted producers to make more recordings of stage stuff - sometimes you just can't get to see everything (or afford to!) and it would be excellent to see some of this stuff. I missed Sweeney Todd at the Kennedy Center and I'm still kicking myself. I wish there was a recording...

Bobby457 Profile Photo
Bobby457
#33re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:10pm

There is another reason that bootlegs are not a good idea. For instance...If a person gets a video of say "Wicked" and perhaps on that ONE night say Idina was off....Said video could come up somewhere years down the road when she is a HUGE star and perhaps bite her in the bootey....like oh...entertainment tonight.

Thats another reason bootlegs should be and are illegal...

"It never bothered me that she called me a c*nt, it bothered me that I answered to it!" Carol Channing about Ethel Merman filming an episode of "The Love Boat"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#34re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:10pm

I so hope you're being sarcastic...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BT Profile Photo
BT
#35re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:12pm

Hmmmmmm, Bobby are you speaking from experience?
grins -

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#36re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:13pm

I know. Me, too. I mean, IDINA BEING OFF??? I NEVER!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#37re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:13pm

BOBBY DON'T ANSWER THAT!!!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#38re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:14pm

I totally agree.. I would love to see Anything Goes again w/ Patti Lupone. I was 12 yrs old... I would love to watch it again and see what made me fall in love w/ theatre so much.

Bobby457 Profile Photo
Bobby457
#39re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:21pm

these were all hypothetical.....but the "what ifs" are innumerable....So dont get your knickers in a twist

"It never bothered me that she called me a c*nt, it bothered me that I answered to it!" Carol Channing about Ethel Merman filming an episode of "The Love Boat"

BT Profile Photo
BT
#40re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:21pm

thanks, tthomas76 - now I feel old. I was wishing to see her in Evita...

Bobby457 Profile Photo
Bobby457
#41re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:22pm

what cant I answer that Rath?

It CAN happen that someone MIGHT have an off night....Its NEVER happened to me, of course! LOL

Updated On: 8/19/04 at 04:22 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#42re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:24pm

Anything is possible, Bobby and you make a good point. But I think the benefits far outweigh the chance of something like that happening.

Bobby457 Profile Photo
Bobby457
#43re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:29pm

Yes...there are SOME benefits....but I sure wouldnt want to have a performance of mine that I wasnt too happy with come back and haunt me....

I shudder to think there is some bootleg of my production of Naked Boys Singing somewhere! *SHUDDER*!!

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#44re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:31pm

OK, I know I'm kind of joining this after the fact, and most people have made their points, but I've got to say that while I completely realize the illegality of the whole thing, I really don't think bootlegs serve as a deterrent to keep people away from the theatre. Did the film version of Chicago shut down the Broadway production??? Many people have already made points that I agree w/...some people can't afford to get to NY to see shows, replacement casts often times deserve to be preserved, etc. I think the vast majority of the people who have bootlegs are avid theatre fans who make repeat visits to shows, and who have spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars going to the theatre and supporting the arts. If a recording is made for his/her own personal enjoyment (not to be sold to make a profit), it doesn't seem like such a terrible thing to me.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#45re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:31pm

But performers open themselves up to that. Movie stars too, with the tabloids.

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#46re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:41pm

Sorry about making you feel old BT. re: Bootlegs I just loved that show soooooooooo much! There are other several shows I've seen that will only be a vague memory for me... Oh, well... One can wish...

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#47re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:44pm

I see all the points presented but will offer this. Take away the idea that anyone might profit either way - bootlegging, no matter how you look at it IS stealing. You are not paying for the work someone has done. The set designers, the performers, the musicians, the crew, etc. When you take something that is not rightfully (and lawfully) yours.. it's stealing. And you can justify it anyway you want - I am not being holier than thou - but it's still stealing. And if it were your work being stolen without permission (and/or compensation) you would definitely have a different stance on it I am sure.

ok.. off of soapbox...

For a musical analogy - when Jean Valjean steals the bread, despite the reason/justification - it's still breaking the law. :)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Updated On: 8/19/04 at 04:44 PM

eyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
#48re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:45pm

What's unfortunate, as has been pointed out, is that there isn't a legitimate way to bring recordings to the general public and as long as there is demand, there will be supply. Though I understand all of the contractual problems with releasing this intellectual property, a "smart" producer would see that there is additional money to be made here even after a show closes. Updated On: 8/19/04 at 04:45 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#49re: Bootlegs
Posted: 8/19/04 at 4:48pm

But you also have to look ahead. That peson who is watching and developing an appreciation for what they see is going to go and spend money on shows in the future and pay the salaries of those same people you mentioned.

Videos