Best JCS

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#25re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:39pm

Hands down, the 1992 Austrailian cast recording, which isn't even the whole show!

I have met one or two of the cast members, and they are as bummed as I am about not having the whole thing in the can.

The opening strains of the overture simply chill/electrify me to the core and the following new orchestrations are the best, IMWO.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#26re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:54pm

Broadwayguy2~ up until a few weeks ago I was green with envy over you having seen Max von Essen play Jesus. I was SO fortunate to see him play Jesus this summer out here in CA. The production was beautiful...not updated, or 'hippiesque' either...just simple and earthy. Max was breathtaking as Jesus, alongside Charlie Pollock (Bobby from Urinetown tour) as Judas and a gorgeous Sophina Brown as Mary.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#27re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:17am

leomaxfrank, Steve Balsamo plays Jesus in the 1996 London Cast (my favorite JCS recording). In Gethsemane he holds this REALLY high note for over a minute which makes it the best rendition EVER!!!!!!! Jon Stevens plays Judas in the 1992 Australian Cast and is the best I have ever heard. He puts so much hate and discust into the part and yet makes you feel sorry for him. If you go to www.towerrecords.com you can listen to samples of both.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#28re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:58am

thank you, i certainly will

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Videos