The Pajama Game

Jon
#25re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 4:48pm

It was also done in 1991 at New York City Opera. Judy Kaye was Babe, Richard Muenz was Sid, Lenora Nemetz was Gladys. Karen Ziemba was the matinee alternate Gladys (since NOBODY does 8 shows a week in the opera!).

Of course, it was also done two years ago at Encores! with Karen Ziebma, Brent Barrett, Deidre Goodwin and Mark Linn-Baker. Updated On: 10/6/04 at 04:48 PM

LoveDemBroadwayShows
#26re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 4:58pm

I think the biggest problem with the show will be selling it to today's theatre crowd. The basic premise is that the factory workers want a 7 1/2 cent raise. Since that is one of the pivotal numbers in the show, they are either going to have to change it to 7 1/2 PERcent or present it strictly as a period piece. How to Succeed was able to take a 60's show that was very sexist and make it work today but I think it's going to be hard to pull off. And I'm a BIG fan of the show.

Jon
#27re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 7:07pm

It would definitely be a period piece. The New York City Opera production was done with very bright garish 1950's sets and costumes - lots of pink and lime green.

MusicMan
#28re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 8:03pm

"Altar Boyz...Trailer Park...The Big Voice...Caligula... may also be headed for commercial runs very soon...new shows with "new" composers..."

I much prefer original work to revivals but given that the craft of songwriting, particularly in musical theatre, has fallen into desuetude and producers seem devoid of musical taste, I will safely wager that the scores for most new shows (including the ones mentioned above) will be their least interesting element. So much for the future of "musical" theatre. Gherbert, unfortunately, has it right.
Virtually every new show is rumored to be "moving to Broadway"---I wouldn't send out the laundry on most of them just yet. Updated On: 10/6/04 at 08:03 PM

shesings
#29re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 8:08pm

I was in PJ Game in high school (I had the same part my mom had in high school exactly 30 years later - how cute!!!)!
Who would you guys like to see in the leads?
Babe
Gladys
Mabel
Sid
Pop
Heinzy
Prez

edit: i wrote charlie b/c the heinzy in my productions name was charlie
Updated On: 10/6/04 at 08:08 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#30re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 8:10pm

The Hal Linden Barbara McNair production toured TO years ago & I liked it very much, I remember Cab Callaway esp as Heinzy. Met him & his daugheter after & they were very nice -pleased we had enjoyed it. I always liked "There Once was a Man" for a romantic/comic duet too.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#31re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 9:33pm

Carl Magnum,

SWEET CHARITY is a WEAK show?

It is the PERFECT vehicle for a female dancer to display her talents.

It only worked for Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera, Juliet Prowse, Debbie Allen, Shirley MacLaine. . .

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

Plum
#32re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 10:33pm

Good star vehicles aren't necessarily good shows. The Boy From Oz, anyone? Updated On: 10/6/04 at 10:33 PM

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#33re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 10/6/04 at 10:41pm

Duly noted.

I should have also mentioned Bob Fossee's stunning choreography and the Cy Coleman/Dorothy Fields score which included "Hey, Big Spender" and "If My Friends Could See Me Now."

I saw SWEET CHARITY with Debbie Allen and will never forget the experience.

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

gherbert
#34re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 11/26/04 at 8:58am

To the people bashing The Pajama Game:

How can you say that this is a bad musical? In fact it is one of the greatest musical comedies in history. It was really a merging of Broadway's greatest talents: George Abbott and Jerry Robbins directed, Bob Fosse choreographed, Hal Prince and Bobby Girffith produced with Freddie Brisson, Lemuel Ayers did the design, the score was by two extremely talented proteges of Frank Loesser fresh to the Browady scene and ready to go, it boasted one of Broadway's top leading men in John Raitt, and a splendid dancer/comidenne in Carol Haney whon really set that mold later emulated by Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera and SO much more . . .

In a way I understand. With a Broadway now filled with screamers like Brooklyn, Wicked, and Les Mis, people now think of these shows as operettas! What the heck is that? Gosh, musical theatre has gone SO downhill. When I have to defend some of Broadway's greatest musical comedy! When people think The Pajama Game is "old-fashioned!" Gosh, we should STILL be doing musicals exactly like The Pajama Game. And soon lest we be stuck with musical crap for eternity.

Videos