Brooklyn - Sad Trash

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/13/04 at 12:34am

Wow...that's scary.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Ustadance
#26FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/13/04 at 7:32pm

Hey Tap Dance - I must have forgotten something - but the name of the last Bway show you a) wrote b) produced c) directed d) starred in was called.......? Please remind me. And, I believe the actual saying is "Those who can, do...those who can't, teach...and those who can't do #@&*, critique"

pab Profile Photo
pab
#27FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 1:16am

"Hey Tap Dance - I must have forgotten something - but the name of the last Bway show you a) wrote b) produced c) directed d) starred in was called.......? Please remind me. And, I believe the actual saying is "Those who can, do...those who can't, teach...and those who can't do #@&*, critique""

That is such Bull S**t! Are you trying to say that if you don't write, produce, direct or star in a production you can't voice your opinion? WTF? Then they should fire most of the critics that write about movies, television and the stage right now. Everyone is entitled to say what they think about something they saw and if you disagree with them then so be it. The person who never wrote, produced, directed or stared in a production still has to pay up to $100 to see it and they think it's crap, it's their opinion. It's something called freedom of speech. If you don't like what they say then say that, but don't get holier than thou and say that they can only voice their opinion if they fit into one of those categories.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#28FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 7:33am

"That is such Bull S**t! Are you trying to say that if you don't write, produce, direct or star in a production you can't voice your opinion? WTF?"

Ditto.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

laactress
#29FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 10:53am

I liked this show, maybe because the actors were amazing! Or maybe because it was the only thing I could see when we didn't win the "Wicked" lottery that night! But we enjoyed it.

It started with a sipmle idea, collecting one paper clip for every life lost, the feelings that connect us...are greater than those that divide us!

iluvtheatertrash
#30FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 11:15am

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Totally misunderstood what I was saying. But that's my fault. I didn't word it correctly - was rushing.

--

I think we've come to a point where theater is going to be directed at a different audience. Regardless of whether we like it or not, theater has become, for the most part, very commercial. We can't help that. And sometimes, there are going to be bombs. And we can't help that either. But we can't put down a production because the music is in pop style. Or because the story is childish and simple. Some of the most beautiful pieces of theater have been simple. The Secret Garden. Blood Wedding. Marry Me a Little. The Phantom of the Opera.

The problem is that so many of us, including myself, jump to a conclusion. We point out the bad instead of the good, even if there is more of it in the long run. We don't take the time to critique what we appreciated. What beauty we saw in the pieces. We need to learn to do that.

I got to my feet for 'Brooklyn'. Why? Because it was a wonderful cast. And I felt myself inspired that someone living off the streets could write music that would bring people together in a theater. And could bring Broadway's newest and most blessed talent to the stage, regardless of how weak the material actually is. Jeff Calhoun is a marvelous director. I haven't met anyone who has said otherwise. The direction of the weak material in the show is fabulous. You can't deny that. There is a lot of genius to the show. Props become costumes, costumes become scenery. He had a great vision for the piece and he brought it to life. Notice that. Don't just notice the material. Because, frankly, I never liked Andrew Lloyd Webber. He bored me. But his pieces have had some of the most beautiful productions world-wide. How can you deny that? There is so much more that we don't look at.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

lna
#31FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 2:53pm

"I think we've come to a point where theater is going to be directed at a different audience. Regardless of whether we like it or not, theater has become, for the most part, very commercial. We can't help that. And sometimes, there are going to be bombs. And we can't help that either. But we can't put down a production because the music is in pop style. Or because the story is childish and simple."

You know, the problem is that you liked Brooklyn, and other people did not. So it's not just a matter of different styles. I think a lot of people are capable of appreciating different styles. And even appreciating that something is good, even when they don't particularly care for it.

But you seem to miss the point that, unlike you, a number of people were not able to appreciate the "good" in Brooklyn. Or maybe they decided the cast was good, but that wasn't nearly enough for them. (And I've heard enough people say they didn't care for the style of singing, for the songs themselves, and even for some of the acting, that I'm willing to believe that a lot of people didn't think the show was good.)

I don't think we have to accept anything, or like it, simply because that's the way it is. If we don't like the style or the music, then we're not going to pretend that we do, or go to the theater just because we want to see something live, even if we hate what we're watching.

If the shows appeal to a new audience, that's fine, maybe they don't care if they lose the old, as long as they get enough new people. But I don't think people are going to go see shows they don't like just to keep Broadway alive. Heck, I don't some of the people here would have grown to love Broadway if that's all they saw.

I haven't heard anything about Brooklyn that makes me think I'd enjoy it. I've heard a few things that make me think it's possible that other people might enjoy it. I really don't have a problem with that. Well, okay, I do, a little, because I don't want everyone to think "wow, this is the future of Broadway." I want to hope that there'll be shows I'll love in the future.

But, heck, if I'd rather read a book or watch a movie than go see Brooklyn, that's my choice, too. And Broadway producers are going to have to accept that, when they make their choice about what to put on the stage.

#32FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 2:57pm

what u didnt like bklny? howcome it is soo beutiful. i cried.

iluvtheatertrash
#33FWIW I disagree
Posted: 11/14/04 at 4:25pm

Oh, I completely agree with what you're saying. I'm just trying to justify my appreciation for the piece. Because, I have to be honest, it isn't the type of show I would usually appreciate. (I loathe 'Wicked' with every fiber of my being.) And I also don't think this is ONLY what Broadway will be but I think it is A LOT of what it will be: this, revivals, and the genius of Adam Guettel, JRB, etc. that only can last for so long.

I didn't mean to sound as if I know everything and you all have to agree. Please don't take it that way. It's not what I meant at all.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Videos