pixeltracker

Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?- Page 2

Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?

crazy smiles Profile Photo
crazy smiles
#25re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:51am

I for one am not looking forward to Ring of Fire, because um the movie with Reese and Joaquin looks too good that I'm all Johnny Cash out! Though, if you notice the extreme exposure of all these once movies made into musical theatre? I have! I bet you all have said this in this very own thread, but I don't read so much of the blah blah blah. Jukebox musicals are here and they go. They don't stay for so long, but they go away. So, in the cycle of things just wait for them to pass by or check out Off Broadway shows. Please tell me have you seen everything that is on Broadway right now and are just in pain knowing that all is left is Jukebox musical? If so go mad crazy and demand for new shows of intellect or great revivals! I don't like jukebox musical, they're fun but I feel so blah knowing I spent money on crap and I didn't even get to see Cheyenne! Haha. Basically, theatre is an experience you decided to see what you want and if its **** don't beat yourself over it just remember it was **** and come to this board and type to the top of your finger tips!! You all have a good night/morning.

bwayondabrain
#26re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:33am

well, first, when is the johnny cash movie coming out? i wanna see it!!!
but yeah, not all jukebox musicals are bad-i LOVED LOVED LOVED all shook up *i love ya jenn gamby!!!!* and Mamma-Mia! wasnt all that bad...
i personally would like an American Idol jukebox musical-with lots of songs they use on the show, and make it about some teen who goes on the show, finds love, and wins!!! :) cheesy, i know... re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?

sassypanz
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:19pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 06:19 PM

bwayondabrain
#28re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:25pm

oh, yeah i know what you mean-there are lots jukebox musicals, and im sorry if i was mean at all... :)
but yeah, just one thing to learn from this,sassypanz, is to not start a topic like that without any proven facts, or people might get upset

...yeah

#29re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:04pm

I think they will continue to make music with songs we are familiar with until we are blue in the face. I dont think some of them are too bad. Mamma Mia was in fact a cute show. I enjoyed it. I guess it might also have to do with the fact that i am an ABBA fan.

sassypanz
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:23pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 07:23 PM

kate2
Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:52pm

The increase in frequency of jukebox musicals is a trend that will eventually fade. There were a few here and there before Mamma Mia, but the success of Mamma Mia inspired producers to make lightning strike twice. It happened in London with We Will Rock You (though one of the longest running musicals in West End history was a jukebox musical, Buddy, but it was biographical and mysteriously flopped on Broadway) and it happened here with Movin' Out (though technically a ballet). If it's a good show, I don't care if it's original, based on a film or song catalogue, or a bookless review. If I'm entertained, I'm entertained regardless the source material.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#33re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 9:43pm

...finds love? With who? Simon?

yr ronin,
joey

nickatnight
#34re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:40pm

personally, i think the term "juke box musical" has become a bit of a catch-all phrase...
but i've liked some, disliked some (just like anything else on and off B'Way. Muscial or non.)
i do feel most belong off-B'Way, however, and many have gotten into trouble when they've tried to fill out a big Broadway house...
i think the latest scourge is the 'skit' musical...but thats another story altogether...(and again, some are good, some are bad...)

wexy
#35re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:51pm

I'm not a big fan of them but if gets people coming to live theater, hopefully they will want to see other things as well.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#36re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:56pm

I guess the frequency and reception of the "jukebox musicals" vacillates depending on the financial and artistic climate of Broadway theater. But this is NOT the first surge of musicals from existing songbooks. Hello? Beatlemania? Leader of the Pack? Ain't Misbehavin'? Black and Blue? Swing? Sophisticated Ladies? Bubbling Brown Sugar? Good News (kind of)? And Rock N Roll The Last 5000 Years? Uptown It's Hot? Jacques Brel? A Grand Night for Singing? Big Deal? Play On? Tintypes? Swinging on a Star? Not too many people ran around calling Boy From Oz a jukebox musical even though that's exactly what it was, right? And recently there was also The Look of Love. The GORGEOUS, wonderful A Class Act is even a "Juke box" musical, right? All of these are off the top of my head and I'm sure there are way more. There were resurgences of the existing songbook musical throughout the uncertain '70s, '80s, and '90s, especially. All I mean to say is, this is NOT a new phenomenon. And it's not going anywhere.
I personally have loved many jukebox musicals, especially "Our House" on London's West End. And I have disliked a number of them too. But there is no reason to discriminate.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 10:56 PM

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#37re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 9:16pm

Maybe the producers just want to produce every single little musical they can to make up a reputation of producing flops. Maybe they took the idea from Max Bialystock (sp?) and Leo Bloom, and it just doesn't work. I also have had enough of these, as I call them, "junk box" musicals. No matter what, the producers are just greedy little people who think that the next junk box musical will be he next Les Miz or Mamma Mia! People are greedy, and as Mama Rose says in Gypsy, "Desperate people do desperate things."

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

MackieManiac
#38re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point
Posted: 10/14/05 at 9:42pm

Why not damn all MOVIECALS because most fail. Just as brainless as Juke Box musicals.. pre written books with original scores.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#39re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 9:45pm

so regardless of quality, people don't like "jukebox musicals" because of the producers' intentions? what if there was an "artsy", intellectual show that happened to have producers that only wanted to make money? what if there was a "jukebox musical" where the producers and creative team genuinely wanted to capture something in a theater experience that they could only do with the pre- written songbook of an artist?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#40re: Whats up with all these Juke box musicals coming in ??? Whats the point?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 10:12pm

Then that would definately knock some sense into their heads. They could give the public what they want, and what they want. A perfect compromise. Unfortunately, tourists just want fun, bouncy shows like Mamma Mia! and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, so why don't we all blame the tourists? No, because they are all different, and there's a very high chance that at least one would like an intelluctual show. As for the desire to capture a person's theatre experience with only original songs, well too bad for them. Or, they could change the lyrics, like they did with Mamma Mia! at some points. So actually, there's no one to blame.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

Videos