pixeltracker

RENT: appropriate for kids?- Page 2

RENT: appropriate for kids?

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#25re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:20pm

I first saw RENT when i was 10 or 11, and (these are my quasi-controversial views) I feel like, if a person is being a responsible parent he will expose his children to so-called "adult themes" because in my experience, sheltering leads to intolerance... now I was a mature 10 year old, but I feel like RENT has affected me so much that I am a little more loving, a little more sympathetic and a little more tolerant... and although it may be "safer" to wait for a kid to grow up and see this, why not show your child a brave presentation of AIDS, drugs and sex, as opposed to the television or the misinformation of kids on the playground

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#26re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:41pm

i think i'm somewhat more conservative than a lot of people on this board. i don't think taking a kid to see rent is the best way to introduce them to the topics covered. i know they already have at least some understanding of these topics by the age of 10 anyway, but i think a parent or respected adult sitting them down and telling them about these issues would be a better way to go. then, maybe take them to volunteer in a homeless shelter, get them involved in charitable work. but relying on rent to teach this stuff to your kids? i don't think that's the most responsible way to teach them.

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 11:41 PM

IveGottaBeME
#27re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:46pm

"Contact" is pretty crazy though.. when i watch it til this day i get kind of uncomfortable lol. but i think I saw Rent when I was like 13 - 15 so it should be fine. It definitely changed my view of musicals and is the reason why i'm in musical theater

Videos