RENT: appropriate for kids?

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#0RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:11am

Ok, my sister, her kids and I are all going up to NYC during the holidays. The planning has been left up to me, and I'm trying to decide on 4 shows to see.
I want your opinion on whether RENT is appropriate for 12 year olds. I've seen it, and I'm not sure if the adult themes are "kid-friendly"

P.S.- I am SOOOOOO clueless about childcare (at least under 12!)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#1re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:16am

Unless they understand AIDS and some of the other themes of the show (which they probably do) I woudln't take them. Rent is more for kids 13 or 14 and up.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#2re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:18am

I can think of plenty of shows that are more appropriate to pre-teens than Rent. Among them would be Hairspray, Chitty, Wicked, Spelling Bee etc. Maybe I was a weird kid, but I honestly don't see how a 12 year old could relate to some of the issues presented in Rent.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#3re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:20am

I agree, but It's one of those shows that people (like my sister) hear about and get all excited. I think i'll just let her decide to let them see the movie when it comes out.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:24am

Good move. Wait a few years till Rent. Hairspray or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang are two great ideas.

joliz Profile Photo
joliz
#5re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:31am

I saw Rent when I was 12ish in early 97, I guess it depends on the maturity of the kid

"I love America more than any other country in the world, and exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James Baldwin

my2cents
#6re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:34pm

My ten year old neice saw it a couple years ago. And although she missed most things. It was the best decision we made. She has become such a better person after seeing it (I know cliche) But seriously, she got the main themes of the show, became a fan and since has been big on aids awareness and fund raising and tolerance. I am so excited to take her to the movie Wednesday. Now she will be able to truly understand it better. I say take the 12yos, they see much worse on mtv and cable. At least with RENT they learn something about the world, dignity, excepting yourself etc.. On mtv they learn about bitches, hos, money, power etc..

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:45pm

I agree with my2cents. Some of the stuff would surely go over their heads, but the main messages are certainly things they can get, and embrace, even if they don't fully understand. There is vulgarity, so if their parents are opposed to exposing them to that, it might be an issue, but if not, I say do it. And besides, the music is kinda good. re: RENT: appropriate for kids?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#8re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:56pm

Rent has sexual and drug related themes and innapropriate language. I would not recomend taking 12 years to see Rent. 14 year olds are probably the youngest age for a mature theatre-goer to see Rent.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#9re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:59pm

I say take them. I saw it for the first time when I was 13, and even though some of it went over my head, I still got the main ideas and I fell in love with it. Unless you think their parents would freak out duirng Contact, I think they'll be fine. You see worse stuff watching TRL for 15 minutes.

And after seeing it, I got more into Broadway shows, because I thought Rent was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#10re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:17pm

I would take a mature 12-year-old to see it.

I saw it when I was 13.

*shrugs*

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:22pm

I think I would leave the decision up to adults.....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BeautifullyTragic Profile Photo
BeautifullyTragic
#12re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:25pm

I saw Rent at 12, mostly because my mom didn't know anything about Broadway and found out that Joey Fatone was in Rent. I didn't really understand a whole lot of what was going on, and after it was over they had to explain some of the smaller points to me, I understood the general themes presented. And from it I branched off into loving other musicals too. But there is some stuff that probably isn't the best thing for 12 years to see. I wasn't sheltered when I was little, and some of the stuff is a little much. I'd say see the movie, remember that Contact is in there too, and make a decision based on the kids maturity.

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#13re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:29pm

Like everyone else said, it all depends on the maturity of the kid. I saw RENT when I was 11, but I was mostly brought up by my cousins who were all at least seven years older than me. I didn't get everything, but I understood the major themes and I'd say that if I hadn't had that experience when I was younger, I probably wouldn't be the same as I am now. I agree with whoever said that it's better than the bitches and hos of the MTV generation.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

ikmbway
#14re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:20pm

I saw RENT when I was 12 and I will admit I was mature for my age. I was exposed too much worse things in the past. If you want to take them it really is just seeing if they are mature enough to handle it. Normally most 12 year olds know more stuff or just about as much stuff that is in RENT. It's your call though on how mature they are and also try seeing if there is any other show you might be interested in. And when you are in NYC, have a blast!

trpguyy
#15re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:52pm

Let the parents know that their children will be seeing nudity, simulated sex, hearing profanity and sexual and drug references. Also many themes children won't understand.

If the parents are fine with that, then whatever.

If it were my kid, I'd wait a few years. It's one thing to say "they hear that stuff in school," but it's different to actively expose your child to it.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#16re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:52pm

I was first exposed to RENT! at around 12 and it truly affected me. Yes, some stuff went over my head, but RENT! got me REALLY interested in Broadway and in AIDS awareness which are 2 of the biggest parts of my life now.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Billboard Girl Profile Photo
Billboard Girl
#17re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:58pm

As has been said, a lot depends on the maturity levels of the kids. Also, keep in mind that even if a kid is mature enough to see a show with some adult themes, it may be awkward as hell for them to watch it with their parents.

"There was this one time an alarm went off - it was in the middle of '24.' That's just wrong. Everyone knows everyone was watching '24' at that time." --NYU student quoted in the Washington Square News about students ignoring the frequent fire alarms in dorms

bwayondabrain
#18re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 4:31pm

i had the same problem, except with myself, about seeing RENT
my solution is im just seeing the movie cuz there is no intermission where my parents may want to leave during, and because i would at least be seeing original cast members...
but now i better go cram study for biology and french exams
talk to yall later!!!!

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#19re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 7:10pm

Ok, I have a question related to this topic. Is the Contact scene in RENT worse (mature wise) than the Captain Jack scene in MOVIN OUT?

Thanks!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#20re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 7:12pm

It's... different. Not quite as literal, since the main action of Contact is underneath a sheet, and you focus on ONE person. Captain Jack isn't "offensive," per se, because it's highly choreographed dance. Hard to compare.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 07:12 PM

LorelaiGilmore Profile Photo
LorelaiGilmore
#21re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 8:37pm

would it be ok if my 11 year old sister went to the movie. she really wants to see it, knows what it's about, but do you think she's mature enough?

oy with the poodles already!

greenegirl87
#22re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 8:41pm

I've been wondering the same thing as you Lorelai... does anyone that has seen it already have any opinions about taking younger kids to see it?

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

iamemma Profile Photo
iamemma
#23re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 8:57pm

i think its never to early to introduce kids to the concepts but i dont know if they will enjoy it

"its the wicked witch of the west your mother.."--- marks mom, RENT

Jon
#24re: RENT: appropriate for kids?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 10:23pm

According to recent studies, many 12 year olds are sexually active. I know that there is certainly nothing in RENT that I wasn't fully aware of at age 12.

If they watch "The O.C." or "One Tree Hill", there aint nothing gonna shock them in RENT.

Videos