pixeltracker

Please Help! Community Theater Decision!- Page 2

Please Help! Community Theater Decision!

BwayLeadman
#25re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/19/06 at 9:29pm

The Wiz?

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#26re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/19/06 at 9:51pm

I gotta go with "No No Nanette" on this one too. I believe it shall render the best creative group success in your idiom.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#27re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:05pm

We have just done The Wiz so we are not keen on doing it again.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#28re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:25am

You know your audience better thanwe do, but if they loved 42ND STREET they will probably love NO NO NANETTE. I just saw a local music theatre school do this show and it remains a delight in spite of a silly story (but if played seriously as farce it can be funny.)

THE BOY FRIEND starts off with a fun first act but gradually loses steam. (It parodies NANETTE quite a bit, but the score isn't nearly as enjoyable.) MILLIE is even thinner with less of a score. You won't win over many audiences with MUILLIE unless you have a really dynamite cast and a director who can stage it briskly.

LI'L ABNER is loaded with a lot of cornball humour but many of the political targets may baffle audiences now. Great score, though. So does SWEET CHARITY butit is still a problematic show. Audiences respond to the title but the book has some awkward sequences.

Of the 5 you listed, NO NO NANETTE is probably the best choice.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#29re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:32am

IF you don't have one amazingly talented female to play those starring roles in Charity and Millie I'd say NO NO NANETTE too.

TheaterAddict7652
#30re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:37am

Someone said Guys and Dolls, which is a great choice. Or Anything Goes.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#31re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/20/06 at 7:56am

We just did Anything Goes, but thank you!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#32re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/20/06 at 9:13am

Please don't do Guys and Dolls, everyone does it....

Kiss Me Kate is always a good choice.

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#33re: Please Help! Community Theater Decision!
Posted: 2/20/06 at 2:04pm

I have done No No Nanette and this was my least favorite show I have ever done. I would stay away from it. My suggestions are Kiss Me Kate, Seussical, and Millie. If you said you have done any of these im sorry i missed it.

Videos