pixeltracker

Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO- Page 2

Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO

#25re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:26am

Wonderful for Rebecca and JHW! I'm actually more excited that JHW is joining the POTO family because fresh blood is always nice in long-running roles. :)

~Rosalynn

#26re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:39am

spellbee...its a crazy biz and there are no answers.
i will never understand it. i don't CARE HOW OLD Christine is..i just want her to be able to SING IT! LOL
i am sure jennifer is well up to the task...i am thinking she didn't get vegas because she was meant to be right where she is, not because of her age.

livelife
#27re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 5:21am

excited about jennifer joining.....however i LOVED sandra joseph as christine so im not too thrilled about pitcher...im sure she'll be fine though....AND hopefully (sooner rather than later) jennifer will take over as the main christine haha

i wonder what joseph will do next....hopefully something kul and different

tell me more, tell me more...how much dough did he spend?

spellbee
#28re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:01am

andrew - ultimately i agree. . . and i DO think JHW will sing it beautifully.

bdwybug55
#29re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:50am

Yay! This is terrific news about Ms. Wills...it may actually get me back to "Phantom".

EganFan2
#30re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:11am

Sarah Brightman was 26 when she originated the role, and about 28 when she played it on Broadway. Other actresses usually are cast at about that same age (with few exceptions) and just stay in it until they are older.

Jennifer Hope Wills at least looks young, if she isn't as young as would be believeable for the character.

Becky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
#31re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:59am

They are loosing a great asset by letting Sandra Joseph go, regardless of her age. THere are probably very few young people who have the range and voice quality for the role.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#32re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 12:19pm

Actually, several of the sopranos who have done long runs of this show - Dale Kristien and Rebecca Luker in particular have said Christine is not particularly vocally demanding, especially in light of the fact that some of it is pre-recorded.

I say there is no excuse to keep these old biddies playing this role until they are 50. Plenty of young singers could do it no problem. And I just listened to Rebecca Pitcher on YT and it is painful. For shame on the lazy producrs/casting people.
When you start having Christines the same age as Carlotta - that's a problem, IMO.

Blanche Profile Photo
Blanche
#33re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 1:51pm

I find it hard to believe that any Christine said that the role was not vocally demanding. If I may quote JHW she states "singers will understand this dilemma, most of the entire role is written in a soprano's break around d5-f5 and on very difficult closed vowels". Not to mention that it is also physically demanding at the same time. It would seem to be an extremely challenging role all the way around.
And on another note, no pun intended, Jennifer IS young as Christine's go, not just young looking.
:)

Joshua488
#34re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:32pm

They are loosing a great asset by letting Sandra Joseph go, regardless of her age. THere are probably very few young people who have the range and voice quality for the role.

Wow. The voice quality? I saw Sandra three times and she was consistently flat and had a ridiculous vibrato that sounded like a fire alarm. I am pleased to see her moving on.

I am anxious to see (actually, hear) Rebecca Pitcher's performance. I'm actually more interested in seeing and hearing Jennifer Hope Wills, since she is completely new to the show... someone fresh who will hopefully add a spark of energy to it.

Thesbijean
#35re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:33pm

Sandra needs to leave. Period.

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#36re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:59pm

I just saw a video of Rebecca and ouch...

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

spellbee
#37re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 7:18pm

I think I read that JHW graduated from Salisbury College (not sure of the name, sorry) in 1995, so that makes her. . . around 33 yrs???? Just a guess. I honestly could be wrong, so please don't take this as fact.

Joshua488
#38re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 7:24pm

I just heard a clip of Rebecca. No me gusta.

Sandra was constantly flat, Rebecca is constantly sharp (based upon this clip).
Updated On: 4/12/06 at 07:24 PM

bdwybug55
#39re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:15pm

Seriously....I don't really see the concern for the actual age of these ladies. As long as someone appears youthful for a youthful character...that is what matters. For my $110 I would rather see a more experienced actress over a novice any day. I have seen JHW in "Wonderful Town" and from the pics of RP, both of these ladies look petite, youthful and beautiful and I wish them all the best.
Updated On: 4/12/06 at 08:15 PM

#40re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:19pm

if 37 is an old biddy..thats SAD....who is near the age of 50 playing christine??
i don't think its fair to say that they are LETTING Sandra GO...is that really right? or is her contract just up and she isn't renewing?

vikingprincess
#41re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:19pm

I have seen both of them. I saw Sandra on Broadway two years ago and Rebecca on the tour about three and a half years ago. I disliked them both for the same reason. They are too operatic. While Sarah Brightman is not my favorite, she has the sense of purity and clarity in a voice that I like for the role. JHW is the best news for me in that release.

AlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
#42re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:23pm

Well Sandra just went on cruise with her husband in Feb., she has been looking a little wider and she has been moody (all from a reliable source) I don't know if that gives clues as to why she isn't renewing or wasn't renewe. I don't want to start rumors or anything but I was just pointing out some observations.

#43re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:30pm

for $110 ticket and being on BROADWAY...BROADWAY...i will say it again...BROADWAY..it is UNACCEPTABLE for someone to be consitantly sharp or flat..everyone has a bad show now and then or goes on sick..but some people just sing flat or sharp or with too much vibrato. how do they get past the first audition?? or get renewed over and over and over?! i am going by what is being said here. Broadway is to be the CREAM of the CROP...not sharp or flat 8 shows a week. PERIOD! there are too many brilliant people out of work who can sing on pitch!
i don't care how old christine is as long as she can sing the C-R-A-P out of it and LOOKS pretty!
ps...JHW more than fits the bill!i love her voice. she will not disappoint and i can't wait to see her!
Updated On: 4/12/06 at 08:30 PM

EganFan2
#44re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/13/06 at 9:19am

There have been several Christines who sounded like car alarms when they hit the high note at the end of "Think of Me". Tone down the vibrato, ladies.

bdwybug55
#45re: Rebecca Pitcher to replace Sandra Joseph in POTO
Posted: 4/13/06 at 9:23am

Wait a minute...if we are talking about being believable...isn't Christine supposed to be a believable opera singer when she sings "Think of Me", "Past the Point", etc? I have only seen two Christines so I can't really compare with the three ladies being mentioned here, but both had more opera like voices than todays typical musical theatre voice.

Videos