THE COLOR PURPLE

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#25re: THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 9/28/06 at 12:39am

If the Tonys weren't so political, Best Score, Choreography, Set Design, and Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Withers-Mendes) would have gone to THE COLOR PURPLE.

THE COLOR PURPLE's score is *filled* with gorgeous number after gorgeous number. DROWSY has "Show-Off" which is fun and all, but Tony worthy? Especially against such a stunning pop/rock score as was written for THE COLOR PURPLE.

Kathleen Marshall has won 2 Tonys for Choreography -- the first in a very weak season for Choreography, and now the second in a season where no one bothered to pay attention to the actual Choreography in shows; they just went by the reviews as a whole. Having the actors snap their fingers really fast and upbeat ellicts a Tony Award? The "cool" thing to do this season was to diss THE COLOR PURPLE.

I think THE COLOR PURPLE is a beautiful show, in every meaning of the word. And it deserved much more props at awards season than it received (completely shut out of nominations for the Drama Desks?)

Beth Leavel is great in DROWSY, but she has that one song. Elisabeth Withers-Mendes has the best 4 songs in THE COLOR PURPLE and she creates the portrait of an actual 3-dimensional human being up on stage. Her performance was FLAWLESS.

So yeah, I like THE COLOR PURPLE, and I think it gets unfairly dissed.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 9/28/06 at 12:39 AM

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#26re: THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 9/28/06 at 12:46am

I saw the show during previews and I thought that they squeezed (or showed) too many details of the book into the play therefore, sacrificing the emotional connection between the two sisters and the audience. I thought they could have eliminated some of those details (and some of Sofia's scenes) and concentrated more on the two. The lighting, the set, the costumes, the music, and the actors were all amazing and I would still see it again.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 9/28/06 at 12:46 AM

jarred03
#27re: THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 9/28/06 at 2:38am

@Munkustrap, Sometimes Ithink you must be deaf and blind when I read some of your reviews and sometimes I totally agree with you. With this show you must be deaf! I'm come on, I understand if your a big fan of the movie not liking it but to call it crap is ridiculous. Personally, I was thrilled to see the dark comedy used on some issues that aren't normally funny. Comedy is a big aspect for a good musical. If they did it with no comedy, which the book does have comedy by the way, then it would be too serious drag like that horrible movie did. I think you are too much of a fan of the movie to give it a real chance, but your still crazy because even if you personally weren't "feeling" the show the way most of us are, then you at least have to admit that the music is great, the acting is great, the dancing, the lighting, the scenic design are all great, which in conclusion makes a GREAT SHOW.

bwayondabrain
#28re: THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 9/28/06 at 5:44am

WannaBeAFoster, i completely agree! THE COLOR PURPLE was robbed of awards this year!

Ice Madrox
#29re: THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 9/28/06 at 12:06pm

I pretty much agree with munkustrap. I went into that theatre wanting to absolutely love it. I left after the show feeling so let down. I was honestly heartbroken.
At times it felt emotionless, hurried, and cold. Other things seemed so drawn out. It was just one big mess. The stage show came across to me as a misinterpretation.
That being said... the performances given by the actors were wonderful considering the poor material I believe they were given.

P.S.- I've often wondered how hardcore fans of The Color Purple novel & movie enjoy the show. I absolutely adore the book & film beyond words. It had a very big impact on my life. I just wonder how much the original fans enjoy this new form of the story.

Videos