pixeltracker

Applause cast recording?- Page 2

Applause cast recording?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/3/07 at 12:17pm

Saw the show & enjoyed it many eons ago in a galaxy far far away.

To compare it to the movie is like comparing Apples & Oranges. This could be a good revival but who would play the leads ?

Poster Emeritus

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/3/07 at 1:05pm

I thought Tommy Tune was doing a revival about four years ago, but it folded out of town.
Anyway, I really like the score.
Faves: Applause, Good Friends, Welcome to the Theatre

....but the world goes 'round

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#27re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/3/07 at 7:34pm

Currently listening to the recording. Though not the best score ever, it's very tuneful and definetly a product of its time. I think "But Alive" is a great song and the title song is a great show biz anthem. I think a revival could work as long as they made no effort to update it and kept it set in the '70s. How about Ebersole or Leavel as Margo?

Julian2
#28re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/3/07 at 7:39pm

Its terrible to say this, but what about Beatrice Stockwell as Margo???

But seriously, I would love to see either tackle the role.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#29re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/3/07 at 9:30pm

I think there was a revival planned, and it seems to me it was booked into a theatre in the Twin Cities and then cancelled. Stephanie Powes was scheduled to star in it here.

This, of course, doesn't surprise me. We were supposed to get Christine Baranski in Mame, too. That was cancelled, and they just dropped the road company of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I don't get season tickets to those shows, so I have no idea what replaced them, or how season ticket holders are compensated. I know that I don't want to sit through another Chicago, Les Miz, Cats or Rent.

As a matter of fact, Les Miz is the show that follows the World Premiere of Easter Parade at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre later this year!

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#30re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 5:51pm

It burns me up that the TV version of the show is sitting in an archive somewhere. It would be nice to have this on DVD. Does anyone think this might happen at some point?

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#31re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 7:58pm

I loved the show and I love the cast recording. The television version wasn't so hot, though.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 9:05pm

It had to be better than the Superman TV version which was absolutely atrocious

Poster Emeritus

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#33re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 9:07pm

The television version is bad. There is no atmosphere whatsoever. This was played on cable here in Australia about a year ago. It was like watching an episode of General Hospital, or the like. You watch a production number, the cast finish with a pose - silence, then go to next scene. No playoff, no applause, nothing.

I remember reading some reviews for the Weissler revival about 8 or so years ago. They weren't complimentary and the show closed soon after. Other than Bacall and Baxter who else did the show, tours, regional etc? Updated On: 2/4/07 at 09:07 PM

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#34re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 9:12pm

You can see the TV version at the Museum of TV and Radio. There's a very charming gay man who works there and is an expert on the TV productions of musicals at the Museum.

The last time I was there, though, I watched the Hallmark production of St. Joan starring Genvieve Bujold. I did see the 1964 Fantasticks and the 1967 Evening Primrose while my partner watched a production of High Button Shoes with Phil Silvers and Nanette Fabray.

I wish they would have more access to their library online.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#35re: Applause cast recording?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 9:39pm

I am completely in love with the recording! I spend hours every day dancing to it, I adore it. I'd really like to see it revived sometime.

I love the Overture, Hurry Back, Welcome to the Theatre, But Alive, Applause, Good Friends, One Halloween... probably a good 75% of the recording.

Bacall is such a delight, as is Cariou. As a person who loves musicals of the 60s and 70s, this tops the list as one of my favourites.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Videos