News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Piercemn

Piercemn Profile Photo
Member Name: Piercemn
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Middle-aged writer and teacher in the Twin Cities who frequently comes to New York for theatre and the Opera

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: What annoys me most about SOME cast recordings...  Aug 12 2007, 01:53:07 PM
What I hate is the poor diction. On 1776, it sounds like Virginia Vestoff calls William Daniels and eagletist, not an egotist. When I saw a community theatre production, that's exactly the way the Abigail pronounced it, too. I never understood the lyrics for You Gotta Have a Gimmick until I read the script for Gypsy and listened to the score along with it. I thought it was "revolution in town," not r"evolution in dance," the correct lyric.

I agree, too, that the volume control is ter

re: Comedy or dramas for a High School with large cast?  Aug 12 2007, 11:58:45 AM
I second You Can't Take It With You. One of the greatest comedies ever written. Another show that's loads of fun is Dirty Work at the Crossroads. When I was in high school the musicals we did were Of Thee I Sing, Camelot and the Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella.

Inherit the Wind could be a good large cast drama, and many high schools do To Kill a Mockingbird or Up the Down Staircase.

Check the Samuel French, Dramatists Play Service or Dramatic Publishing Company websites

re: Ken Mandelbaum  Aug 8 2007, 09:02:03 PM
It's my understanding that, after years of people asking him to do so, he's writing the sequel to Not Since Carrie.
re: Awful Musical Ideas  Aug 7 2007, 07:37:09 PM
Ionesco's been done. It's called Ionescapade. Look it up on the Samuel French website!
re: Ryan Idol in THE RITZ????  Aug 7 2007, 07:36:00 PM
I agree that it's okay for p*rn stars to do legitimate theatre. While I wasn't overly impressed by Rex Chandler in Making p*rn, when I saw it with Blue Blake, I thought he gave a rather good performance.

re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times  Aug 3 2007, 02:41:53 PM
There was a time when I was a fantatic about this stuff, but now, I have seen Mamma Mia 5 times. Twice in New York, twice in Minneapolis and once in London. I'd see it again though. I loved it!
re: Are you a La Cage Aux Folles or a Sunday In The Park With George?  Aug 3 2007, 02:40:14 PM
Neither. I walked out of La Cage last year after the first act. Not that it was a bad production, but I think it's a nasty story about an ungrateful son who goes out of his way to piss off his parents. When I got home that night, The Birdcage was on TV. You can't get way from it!

I think Sunday in the Park with George is the most boring musical ever written. I much prefer Hello, Dolly! when it comes to Jerry Herman, and Follies when it comes to Sondheim!

re: Where are they now?  Aug 2 2007, 10:09:16 AM
I expect that Alan Cumming is making a lot of money doing movies. It would be nice if he'd come back and do a show. I'd love to see Hugh Jackman onstage. I hope that Angela Lansbury comes back to Broadway in a good show, and there are probably some others as well, but right now I'm not thinking about that.

I'm watching the local news in Minneapolis. Did you hear about the bridge that collapsed over the Mississippi last night? I was actually at the hardware store when I heard about

re: Anyone Who Has Seen MAUREEN MOORE Perform Please Read  Jul 24 2007, 05:14:35 PM
I saw her go on for Peters in Gypsy and her magnificent performance wiped me out. I was in tears at the end of the first act, and was sobbing when she did Rose's Turn. She brought all the emotion that's so much a part of Rose's existence into play and her performance moved me greatly! I wrote her a letter, thanking her for such a fine performance, and got a lovely note from her.

Alas, I've since misplaced it, but I did enjoy her and hope to see her onstage when she's not a standby!

re: North American Tour of My Fair Lady  Jul 24 2007, 12:21:11 PM
The last time I saw MFL onstage, it starred Edward Mulhare as Higgins and Ann Rogers as Eliza. It was a ghastly production, but at least I got to see the original sets. I doubt I'll see this production. I don't think I could sit through it again.
re: North American Tour of My Fair Lady  Jul 24 2007, 12:21:10 PM
The last time I saw MFL onstage, it starred Edward Mulhare as Higgins and Ann Rogers as Eliza. It was a ghastly production, but at least I got to see the original sets. I doubt I'll see this production. I don't think I could sit through it again.
re: Whistle Down The Wind Tour coming to US in 07-08  Jul 24 2007, 12:19:23 PM
I saw the movie with Alan Bates and Hayley Mills when I was a kid, and then again a few years ago. It's not available on dvd, but if you can find a vhs copy, you should see it, because it's terrific. The novel was written my Mills' mother, Mary Hayley Bell.
re: The BARBARA COOK Discussion, News, and Love Thread!!!  Jul 9 2007, 05:39:17 PM
When I went to see Trittico at the Met in May, she was standing at the entrance with Harvey Evans. I had the pleasure of speaking to her for about 10 minutes. I'd met her at the Guthrie in the 70s, and have seen her in concert 3 times. She's amazing. I can't wait for her autobiography.

1.My Favorite Studio Albums are Oscar Winners and Close as Pages in a Book
2. My Favorite Live Album is Live from the Met
3. My Favorite Songs are Glitter and Be Gay, but I don't think anyon

re: Your feelings about 'A Year With Frog and Toad'  Jul 6 2007, 04:14:33 PM
I bought the CD, because I've taught the books many times to lower readers. They are fun and better than the remedial stuff written for those kids. I think the music is absolutely delightful and I'm going to see it when the Children's Theatre does the third production of it this season. I can't wait. It premiered here, and the CTC does exquisite work, so it will be nice to see it.
re: Performers you didn't like but now love  Jul 6 2007, 10:57:17 AM
I never understood why Debbie Reynolds had a career, but now I think she's fantastic.
She's developed into a marvelous character actress, as you can tell from In and Out, a rather bad movie she easily steals, and her marvelous performance in Mother.

re: playbills??  Jul 5 2007, 05:38:18 PM
I think programs are about 3 pounds, L3, each and they are worth buying. I have one from every show I've seen in London, including The Mikado by the D'Oyly Carte at the Savoy, Hamlet at the Old Vic and Suddenly Last Summer with Diana Rigg at the theatre which is now the Noel Coward.

You can go to the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and get really reasonable prices on tickets, plus, unlike TKTS in Times Square, they take credit cards and sell advance tickets for evening performances on m

re: The Season by William Goldman  Jul 5 2007, 05:29:25 PM
Think how much things have changed since the book was published almost 40 years ago. Sondheim and Lloyd Webber's work leading to the megamusical, Important playwrights changed from Neil Simon and Edward Albee to August Wilson, Harvey Fierstein, Wendy Wasserstein and Beth Henley. Harold Prince, Tommy Tune and Michale Bennett gained muscle while David Merrick lost it, four theatres opened, while four others were torn down, TKTS was established to get people into theatre seats, and stars who woul
re: Listening to showtunes for free online?  Jul 4 2007, 05:07:45 PM
I went to see Evening this afternoon, and they played the first act finale from Legally Blonde before the movie began. I loved the movie, it's a beautiful, delicate work with an amazing cast. I was surprised to hear music from a Broadway show before it started.

BTW, first matinee on a holiday is a good time to go. I was the only one in the theatre.

re: THE BOYS IN THE BAND: 2-disc Special Edition DVD coming 2008!  Jul 4 2007, 05:04:50 PM
It was shown, back to back with Staircase on TCM during Pride month. I taped it, but I haven't watched it yet. I saw it in the theatre years ago, and saw the Off Bway revival in 1997. I was there opening night and got Mart Crowley's autograph on the playbill.
re: The Season by William Goldman  Jul 4 2007, 05:03:25 PM
I completely agree. I read this book while I was in high school and returned to it many times over the years. I think, along with Not Since Carrie, it's required reading for anyone who wants to know about the Commercial American Theatre.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You