pixeltracker

We Will Rock You on Broadway- Page 2

We Will Rock You on Broadway

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#25re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 4:22pm

mmFan - it's a piece of trash.

the plot is the most innane garbage I've ever witnessed.

a futuristic cyberspace with a "Queen" and rebel uprising?

And if you're still thinking that it's a fun plot, just go see the show. The book is awful, awful, awful. Really just so terrible.

Love the music though! re: We Will Rock You on Broadway

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#26re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 9:16pm

TooDarnHot (nice name), I agree that the story is definitely silly, but I still found it entertaining and it's a musical that I've gone to over and over again. It just has such energy from the music (plus the Toronto actors are fantastic).

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#27re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:35pm

The Toronto cast performs with such kick-ass energy as to make the show somewhat enjoyable. But there is no getting around the fact that these shows that write a (lame) story around existing pop songs -which were never intended to be part of a story or to develop characters- and little more than cheap, exploitive cash grabs. (I would make an exception for JERSEY BOYS because it tells a truthful and dramatic story. In many ways it is a play with the 4 Seasons songs as decoration.) These jukebox shows are not well written, and geared to audiences who generally do not go to theatre. I always though MAMMA MIA would have been perfect in a dinner theatre. But not on Broadway. Same holds true with WWRY...and with all the popcorn, drinks and other food they allowed in the theatre (Ugh!!!!!) it played like dinner theatre.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#28re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 11:27pm

Broadway is the wrong market for this show. Europeans have a much different affinity for Queen than Americans. They were "the" European stadium rock phenomenon. The show has broad nostalgic appeal for middle Europeans as they enter middle age. Even among younger European audiences, Queen like Meatloaf still hold some hardcore rock credibility in contrast to the wave of European pop. The above appeal extends to both male and female audiences.

That doesn't exist in America where at their peak Queen was always a strange drug brand with a largely male, high school following -- those aren't the folks buying Broadway tickets.

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#29re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/21/08 at 3:58pm

That said, Tony Vincent and Hannah Fox's rock performances in the original cast were really out of this world. It's hard to have a discussion of this show without mentioning how extraordinary they are.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#30re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/21/08 at 4:05pm

The TOronto cast is incredible. Having said that, I have seen Tony Vincent and Hannah Fox' performance on YouTube and they seem really good too (and of course the cd). Would love to see them perform in it as well (guess I"d have to go back in time..and travel to london)

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#31re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/21/08 at 4:41pm

Another juke box crap!

Videos