We Will Rock You on Broadway

dacvingwolf
#1We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/19/08 at 9:00pm

When is it coming??? If Ever, I remember a while back they said Ricky Martin was talking about being in it... ???

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/19/08 at 9:04pm

It's not. There have been many threads on this subject. The closest it ever got to playing Broadway is Vegas. Personally, I am not sure as to why they aren't bringing it over to Broadway considering it is playing in every other city in the world. But, it doesn't look like it is going to be happening anytime soon.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Trekkie2
#2re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/19/08 at 9:08pm

Perhaps a tour with some American Idol or dancing with the stars winner

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

LondonSean
#3re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/19/08 at 9:18pm

WWRY represents everything that is bad about musical theatre. Crass, trashy (and not in a good way), over commercial rubbish with no heart or soul, and of course borrowed tunes (better heard played by Queen on cd or in their wonderful videos).

Thanks the lord that Broadway will not be succumbing….

jackson992
#4re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:13am

I think the score is great. I would think this would do very well on Broadway.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#5re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:53am

What score? There is nothing new here. It's all recycled Queen songs. THAT is not a score.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:59am

They didn't even include "Bohemian Rhapsody" did they? What an awful musical.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#7re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 5:39am

It's pure garbage. The fact that it's STILL running in London is amazing. Or maybe not.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 6:14am

Did Someone Say Pure Garbage?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Jyn326
#9re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 7:35am

Ray- Bohemian Rhapsody IS in the musical.

I want to see it just as a Queen fan- to get to hear their music live. (I've never seen Queen live. They're touring but no US dates yet) And occasionally Brian May surprises the cast and audience by appearing on stage during Rhapsody to play guitar. It happens few and far between, but it would be so exciting to see that.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#10re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 7:53am

I had so much fun at this show in Toronto. The cast was really high-energy, but the plot sucked. I don't want to see it come to Broadway.

...5678 Profile Photo
#11re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 8:16am

I hated this show...music was great if you're a Queen fan but outside of that...absolute junk.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 8:17am

It's not any different then any other jukebox musical. The plot is thin and just used to as a way to play the songs of a particular group back to back.

People could say the same thing about something like Mamma Mia.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 8:35am

Trust me
Musical fans are not keeping this show running in London, its down to hen parties and middle aged women who are going out to get drunk after.

The show wont be around in London much longer though

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Quasi
#14re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 9:00am

Well its trash in its own way and it doesn't wants to be more. But in my opinion, its really funny trash. I prefer serious stuff, but if you want to have a night without drama and a lot of fun, I think you should see it. re: We Will Rock You on Broadway

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 9:02am

There needs to be a cap placed on how many jukebox musicals can clog up Broadway theatres at one time.

There are so few Broadway theatres as it is.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#16re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:19am

I have always wanted to see the show and I liked the cd but I think it is something you have to go into thinking this is going to be cheezy and really campy....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Mattbrain
#17re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:28am

I enjoy the show as campy fun but it would close on page four on the first night of previews if it tried to play Broadway.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#18re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:32am

They have been threatening to do this for years and it has never, ever materialized which, judging by the utterly toxic word of mouth, is a good thing.

Years ago--back in the nineties--Craig Lucas did a libretto for a Queen musical that never went anywhere. I wonder if its better than WWRY.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#19re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:43am

Here's an old article about it.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#20re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 12:21pm

WWRY is not coming to Broadway.

they just started working on a sequel (WWRY 2)

saw this piece of trash in Vegas. I actually thought the new orchestrations and singers handled the QUEEN "score" fabulously, as I am a big QUEEN fan, but the show itself was downright garbage... just terrible.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#21re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 12:44pm

I'm in Toronto and have seen WWRY 5 times (with tickets for 2 additional upcoming shows). If they brought it to broadway, it won't receive a Tony nomination BUT it's a fun show. It's a similar idea to Mamma Mia in how they use music of a known band and put it to a story. It's silly, but it's a good time out. I'm so glad that when they close it in Toronto at the Canon, they decided to re-open it at another theatre.

And as someone else commented, bohemian is in the show at the end.
Updated On: 5/20/08 at 12:44 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:01pm

Oh, so "Bohemian Rhapsody" IS in the show, thanks for correcting me. For some reason I remember listening to the album once and not seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody," oh well.
Show's not needed on Broadway.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#23re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:06pm

"Bohemian Rahapsody": is not IN the show proper. It is done as post-curtain call encore.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

jackson992
#24re: We Will Rock You on Broadway
Posted: 5/20/08 at 4:00pm

Just because the songs are not new doesn't mean it's not a score. I would also call the music from Moulin Rouge a score even tho they are all previously recorded songs.

Videos