pixeltracker

Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys- Page 2

Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys

Chance
#25re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:52pm

I'm not trying to cause drama, i'm trying to fight the ignorance and inherent racism of fosse's comment. How is a man, giving an acceptance speech for Best Score of a musical in the style his score was in, Unprofessional? The only way you can consider it unprofessional is if you consider rap/freestyle unprofessional and the only way you don't consider rap/freestyle as a form of artistic expression and the only way you can't consider rap/freestyle as a form of artistic expression is if you're a stodgy, old, tired, tight assed, racist prick.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#26re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:56pm

Could one classify "typical acceptance speeches" as a white form of expression?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

njohn
#27re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 7:34pm

Well, until Fosse explains why he thinks giving an acceptance speech in rap/freestyle is unprofessional we can't conclude to anything definite. Chance, I don't like rap, which means I'm racist. Updated On: 7/30/08 at 07:34 PM

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#28re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 7:57pm

What would we be if Sondheim did a patter song for his speech and we thought it was unprofessional? Or ALW had a big belting diva screech out a speech and we all thought it was unprofessional? I think this is silly. I must be racist too.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#29re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 8:14pm

No one is defending Fosse...no one just sees his comments as racist. While I do believe Fosse made an absurd comment about Lin's acceptance speech being unprofessional (when in fact it was heartfelt and interesting), I don't see how Lin's "race" comes into play?

The only thing I think you are looking at is because Lin is Hispanic, and he rapped, and Fosse did not like it, Fosse is a racist? Let's say a white person rapped and Fosse made the same comments...would you still be calling him a racist? Other than that, I do not quite understand where there is racism...

This is racism (and I am just using it as an example, I don't actually follow this): "I refuse to go to a restaurant where a black person works."

Fosse is merely being ignorant and spiteful.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos