Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#1Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:47pm

So, he got the Tony for Best Original Score, and busted out what was not only a heartfelt acceptance speech, namechecking all the right people and making us fuzzy on the inside, but also an awesome and unexpected bit of rapping...

What if he'd also won Best Actor? Did he have another rap up his sleeve? Would it have then been terrifically annoying to have two rapped speeches by the same guy? Or would have have done a more normal one, and would it be terribly disappointing not to have something surprising and entertaining second time round?

I'unno. Thoughts that fly through my head when I'm caffeinated. ^_^

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#2re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:53pm

He could have expressed his joy through interpretive dance.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:58pm

Perhaps pantomime and shadowpuppetry?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Fosse76
#3re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:32pm

I found his rapping to be very unprofessional. At least In the Heights will most likely be the last we'll see of him.

toanythingtaboo 2
#4re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:37pm

Hate to break it to you Fosse, but the show contained rap and instead of his acceptance speech being a dreary spew of names, he made it interesting. It was entirely appropriate and it went down well.

Needless to say, his speech is one of the only ones I, and others, will remember.
Updated On: 7/30/08 at 02:37 PM

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#5re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:40pm

I enjoyed listening to it and watching him do it. He was just so genuine.

Of course, 2 older individuals I was watching the Tonys with didn't care for it and won't see the show because they feel Broadway needs to go back to what it was 50 years ago.

::bust a move::

toanythingtaboo 2
#6re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:48pm

zepka102, my thoughts exactly.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#7re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:49pm

I don't get the whole prim and proper mentality people have when it comes to the Tonys. By your standard, you can pretty much say that all the performances during the ceremony were unprofessional. It's the theatre. Loosen up.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#8re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:54pm

Broadway is evolving as it always has. Going back 50 years, would be just that..going back and doing what already has been done.

A lot of older theatre-goers love these new shows, and they are the important ones. These are people who have seen it all, and they love new shows like ITH, Passing Strange, and even Xanadu.

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#9re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:55pm

Wow Fosse...unprofessional to express yourself with the natural God given gift that got you the award???

I have to think about that logic?

It was so memorable...I watched it over and over...I can not say I have done that before...the Sondheim reference was OUTSTANDING!!!

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#10re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:58pm

At least it made sense instead of a poem that has nothing to do with anything (Ala Mark Rylance).

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#11re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 3:03pm

I thought Rylance's poem made for one of the best acceptance speeches in recent memory.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#12re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 4:05pm

Srsly. Would people genuinely enjoy an evening of people weeping as they reel off lists of names that mean nothing to the vast majority of people watching? 'Cos that's what I'm getting here. Personally, I thank those that liven it up with a bit of variety; Mark Rylance's poetry reading makes me happy, Lin's rapping makes me happy, Patti screaming at the orchestra to shut up makes me happy. Any variation on the dull dull theme is WELCOME. Do you want the Tonys to turn into the Oscars or some other award ceremony clogged with dreary speeches of doom? How boring. XP

Chance
#13re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:07pm

oh look fosse is a useless **** racist son of a bitch.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:13pm

Personally, I thank those that liven it up with a bit of variety; Mark Rylance's poetry reading makes me happy, Lin's rapping makes me happy, Patti screaming at the orchestra to shut up makes me happy.

Well said, Weez.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#15re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:15pm

I don't see how Fosse's comment was racist.

I agree with Weez. Miranda's speech added some refreshing variety to the night. I enjoyed it, and he seemed very humble and gracious.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#16re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:20pm

His speech kind of rubbed me the wrong way but honestly, I can't judge since I enjoyed Stew's little glasses/funny nose moment.

njohn
#17re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:20pm

Lin-Manuel's speech was unique and refreshing. There is nothing wrong with being prim and proper with speeches as there is nothing wrong with jazzing it up a bit. One only has a few minutes to say what they feel and who to thank, so do what ya gotta do.

And Fosse's comment was not racist. Sometimes people on these boards are so defensive.

Chance
#18re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:24pm

What's not racist about calling a typically ethnic form of artistic expression "unprofessional"?

njohn
#19re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:33pm

Maybe he doesn't like rap? And don't bring the race card in. This a musical theatre forum and the last place to discuss such a topic.

toanythingtaboo 2
#20re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:33pm

By referring to rap as 'typically ethnic' is closer to racist than saying rapping at the Tony's is 'unprofessional'.

I feel Fosse meant that the rapping in a formal event such as this, was unprofessional because he would much rather everyone keep things traditional and dull.

Updated On: 7/30/08 at 05:33 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#21re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:34pm

Lin does freestyle, which isn't exactly having something "up your sleeve," so to speak.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#22re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:37pm

This a musical theatre forum and the last place to discuss such a topic.

Good thing there are no musicals that deal with race!

Chance
#23re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:38pm

interesting how so many people ump to the defense of the racist prick. very interesting.

toanythingtaboo 2
#24re: Lin-Manuel accepting Tonys
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:42pm

It's interesting to see someone so intent on causing drama that they have no clue what they are talking about.

Videos