TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#25re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 11:36pm

I'd like to know why Roxy referred to the show as on off-Broadway show when it is playing in a Broadway house?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 11:38pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 11:38 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#27re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 11:39pm

I understood that, it was more of a rhetorical question. :)

It just bugs me when people say the show should be off-Broadway, like it's an insult.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 11:40pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 11:40 PM

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#29re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 12:50pm

I don't take the off-Broadway label as an insult. There are simply some smaller scale shows that are destined to play to more advantage in a smaller venue. I can't speak for [tos] as I haven't seen it, but FORBIDDEN BROADWAY, as a great example, would not have half the impact it does if it were produced in a large theater.
Updated On: 9/9/08 at 12:50 PM

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#30re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 1:52pm

Jesus, Enough of this repetitive crap.

Yes, the show's great. Yes, in a perfect world, it would run for years and years. Yes, it's inexpensive to run in comparison to other shows. Yes, it's still losing money on a daily basis. Yes, it's going to have to close soon.

Can we just accept all these elements as facts we know and think quietly to ourselves, stop prematurely dancing on a show's grave, and wait until there's some sort of legitimate news before we throw our pity party?

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#31re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 2:06pm

I think a smaller, Off-Broadway-size theater plays to the strengths of shows like TOS and Glory Days earlier this season. A small cast and a feeling of a more intimate connection to the audience sometimes are more easily lost in larger venues. That leads to more casual attendees in Broadway audiences not "getting" what afficionados of the show love about it. That hurts word of mouth. I think most Off-Broadway audiences go into those shows with different expectations.

I don't know what drives some producers' decisions when it comes to deciding to move a show to Broadway, but I really wonder what expectations and assumptions were behind putting TOS and Glory Days in Broadway-sized venues.

Is there any precedent for a show going from Broadway to Off-Broadway in these circumstances?

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#32re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 3:01pm

I hope it plays forever, but of course it won't! Whether or not it lasts throughout the season, I am very grateful to have caught a performance! 'We' may be a small club, but there's something to be said for exclusivity! Sincerely, I wish it and each member of the cast a healthy, long run. I feel extremely fortunate to have seen this, as well as The New Century last season at Lincoln Center; not everything is mainstream, that's what I LOVE about the theatre!

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#33re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 3:42pm

How do people here know that they are loosing money each week? Do you know their weekly cost?

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#34re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 4:05pm

"I'd like to know why Roxy referred to the show as on off-Broadway show when it is playing in a Broadway house?"

Because it started off-broadway. Having only heard the CD and not on stage, it feels like an piece that is much more comfortable on a small off-broadway theater. I didn't see how this could make it. I don't know the nut, but it would seem the costs have to be small enough they should be able to make money at around 50%, but doesn't seem possible if it stays in the 30s

notyourmomma
#35re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 4:50pm

"I think a smaller, Off-Broadway-size theater plays to the strengths of shows like TOS and Glory Days earlier this season."

First of all, NO theatre plays to the "strength" of Glory Days.

Secondly, Glory Days was a part of the previous season.

stupidbeans
#36re: TITLE OF SHOW CLOSING?
Posted: 9/9/08 at 5:43pm

Yeah Title of Show is Closing

they are replacing it with rent

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

Videos