pixeltracker

Wearing cologne/perfume in the theatre...- Page 2

Wearing cologne/perfume in the theatre...

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#25Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:23pm

Weren't the cigarettes smoked on stage "stage cigarettes?" They normally have a more herbal/incense like scent...

I also don't think people put on cologne/perfume to the point where they can smell it themselves. I normally just put it on my wrists and neck and know its there.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#26Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:45pm

Weez...you don't even know me so I'm not sure why you dislike me or would not wish to be next to me in the theatre. I do not even wear cologne because it gives me a headache, but I still go to the theatre and smell it on people and it's just a part of life. As I said before, it has nothing to do with consideration. People should learn how to apply cologne/perfume correctly...meaning in moderation, not taking a bath in it, but that's beside the point. If people are allergic to the smell of cologne or perfume then they shouldn't go to the theatre if it's going to cause them such severe health problems that they can't stay in their seat. Being considerate is a two way road, and one can't expect everyone to adhere to everyones allergy. I can't stand the smell of hairspray, it makes me sick to my stomach, so should I ask the person setting next to me to be considerate and go to the bathroom and wash out their hair? I think not. I'd just have to shrug and let the show go on!

ghostlight2
#27Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:58pm

Okay, here's the thing. One has a choice as to whether or not to wear scents. One does not have a choice as to whether or not to suffer from an allergy. We're not talking "Oh, that cigarette smoke is stinky" or "Gee, that guy needs a bath", or other things that annoy you.

We're talking about people who in some cases cannot breathe because of something you are choosing to wear. Once you know this to be true, is it so important to you to defend to someone else's death (or at least detriment) your right to wear fragrance?

Soap & water, people - or at least go easy on the stuff and have a little compassion for your fellow man who may well and truly be suffering.

How vain and self-centered can you be to blame the victim?

kelzama
#28Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 6:33pm

With certain fragrances, my allergies will first make me sneeze uncontrollably. Then my lungs gunk up and I'll cough. Lots.

So go ahead and wear your perfume so you can feel pretty. I'll be the one sitting near you whom you've directly caused to interrupt your entire evening, sniffling, sneezing, coughing and throat clearing. I'll probably also have to unwrap cough drops, too. If you're lucky, I'll be behind you, sneezing on you and your offensive odor.

Unless there's another seat available, in which case I'll politely ask the house manager if I can move. The house is always very accommodating.

FlyingMonkey1223
#29Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 6:37pm

How self centered can one be to think that people should not wear cologne or perfume in moderate amounts when going out just because there might be a chance someone might have an allergic reaction to it? Should we wash the clothes we wear in scent-free detergent too just to make sure we cover all "smell" basis? What soap should we shower with so we don't upset anyone if they dislike the scent or it makes them ill? Dove? Dial? Axe? If you cannot breathe because of the smell of something you should stay home--plain and simple--one cannot expect the general public to not smell a certain way because YOU dont like it or you may have adverse "health risks" because of it. If you go into a room and sit with a bunch of people THEY MIGHT BE WEARING PERFUME/COLGNE! That is YOUR problem, not mine. You deal with it, don't expect me to.
Updated On: 1/4/09 at 06:37 PM

ghostlight2
#30Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 6:59pm

Enjoy that good health while you have it, Monkeyboy. Here's hoping you never develop an illness that might actually force you to have empathy since you can't summon up sympathy.

Honestly. Reread your last post and tell me you don't sound like an ignorant, selfish, entitled ass.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#31Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:02pm

I wear a lot of cologne. It makes me smell good plus hides the smell of the person I am stuck sitting next to.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#32Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:07pm

I've got news for you, kid. You're the only person who thinks a lot of cologne makes you smell *good*...

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#33Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:09pm

As long as I am pleased...but reading this thread I don't think I wear that much where it makes heads turn and people to have allergic reactions...

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#34Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:23pm

Just as it is one's responsibility to know what is in any given dish if they have sensitive food allergies, the same goes for scent allergies. It is not up to the purveyor of the scent, but the person with the allergy to be weary.

As I stated before, IMO cologne/perfume in moderation is never a problem and anything taken to an extreme is obnoxious even to those lacking an allergy. I'm sure those who have ridden in the cabs of overzealous cologne wearing cabbies can agree.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

DefyGravity777
#35Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:54pm

If a person drinks enough water and washes/bathes everyday they shouldn't need to wear cologne,perfume or even deodorant.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#36Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:00pm

So if you shower you don't perspire?

DefyGravity777
#37Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:08pm

^you talking to me?

If you drink enough water you shouldn't stink when you do sweat.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

ghostlight2
#38Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:26pm

"Just as it is one's responsibility to know what is in any given dish if they have sensitive food allergies, the same goes for scent allergies. It is not up to the purveyor of the scent, but the person with the allergy to be weary."

Interesting typo, logan. I'm sure the sufferers are weary (surely you meant wary) of having to be constantly vigilant regarding their health, since others are so insensitive to their plight.

Your analogy is a poor one. Those with food allergies can choose what they eat. Those who are allergic to strong scents can avoid going into flower shops, or candle stores, or any other place like that, but can't choose who they sit next to. You have a choice. They don't.

And for the record, I couldn't care less whether the person sitting next to me has just downed two shots of bourbon and smoked a cigar after running a marathon, while wearing Le Bleu Heuer, thank god, because I can tolerate it. Some people can't and they shouldn't have to be confined to a bubble because some people think they smell better wearing something artificial.

eta: the definition of purveyor:

pur·vey·or [ pər váy ər ] (plural pur·vey·ors)
noun
Definition:
1. somebody circulating something: a supplier, seller, or circulator of something, especially something that is disapproved of or ridiculed

ie: a purveyor of cheap gossip

Updated On: 1/4/09 at 08:26 PM

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#39Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:06pm

As flyingmonkey said, people can be sensitive to the scent of one's detergent, shall we all go scentless there as well?

I honestly find it absurd to make a conversation about cologne/perfume into a philosophical one. People have been wearing them for years upon years and using scents, be it natural or artificial, has been part of human culture since the beginning of time.

My analogy is not poor because I am saying that the same amount of care needs to be taken in both situations. If you have a severe peanut allergy, you must be prepared to fore go dishes which use any kind of peanut extract or ingredients. If you have such an overt allergic reaction to the slightest whiff of cologne or perfume, then you must be prepared to fore go certain things that take place in public because other people have free will to accessorize as they please. Just as much as it is my "choice" to put on cologne, it is the choice of a fellow theater-goer to leave their controlled environment at home and enter the public domain, of which Broadway is included.

You're making it sound like those wearing cologne around one with allergies are at the risk equivalent of holding a knife to a fellow theater-goers throat. Purveying, as noted in your definition, can take on both negative and positive connotations. In this case I'm speaking purely of someone circulating their own personal "scent."

FlyingMonkey1223
#40Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:40pm

Be sure to put out the word not to eat anything with garlic in it before the show too. Even a little wiff of it on your clothes or breath MIGHT cause someones throat to swell up. So, basically...don't eat, drink (don't want anyone to smell booze if they are recovering alchaholic, or if the smell of it just makes them feel sick!), dont't wash your clothes in anything but scent free detergent, use non-smelling soap, lotion, hair products, no cologne/perfume, no deodorant, don't eat anything with peanuts or soy milk in it AT LEAST 6 hours before the show in case the smell causes someone with a peanut allergy to die...what else should we add to our list for theatre no-nos? Oh, I get really scared when around a lot of people. Like...seriously. I feel like I can't breathe. Is it wrong for me to request a seat that is away from everyone else in a private area? Maybe backstage, perhaps? Or they could clear out an entire row for me, free of charge, to meet my mental health needs! You have to be considerate, ya know! Why shouldn't I be able to enjoy the theatre because of my panic attacks?
Updated On: 1/4/09 at 09:40 PM

ghostlight2
#41Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 10:08pm

"Purveying, as noted in your definition, can take on both negative and positive connotations. In this case I'm speaking purely of someone circulating their own personal "scent." "

Not my definition, logan, it's Webster's, and it's not your personal scent, it's one you use to cover your personal scent. In any case, you seem like a reasonable guy (I'm assuming guy, since you wear cologne), and your usage is probably not a problem. However, I still think your analogy is a poor one. A food allergy one can have control over - the other they can't control. Do you mean to say that you'd be okay with me sitting next to you, blowing smoke in your face?

I find the fact that your fanatic defense of your right to do so weird, but whatever. I always used to wear cologne, til someone told me it could trigger an asthma attack, and I, like Broadway122, said "Thanks. I didn't know that. I won't do it anymore".

Now to Monkeyboy: at least logan is reasonable. You're being an ass. No one is asking you to forego any of those things you mentioned, but how unreasonable is it to ask you not to do something that might cause someone else to stop breathing . Do you really smell that bad without it?

FlyingMonkey1223
#42Off topic, mostly
Posted: 1/4/09 at 10:33pm

I already stated that I don't wear cologne. And no, I'm not being an ass. I'm just being reasonable and not expecting people to be scentless just because a select few are VERY allergic to certain smells. If they can't handle things like being around a group of people in a tight seating space where some may be wearing something smelly, then they should stay home, or buy extra seats so they are not around anyone else. I can only imagine how these people live when they are so allergic to smells. How do they go out for dinner? How do they survive at their office job?! Do they go dancing, and if so, do they request everyone at the club to be scent-free too? If you can't handle life, one should end it all or just deal.
Updated On: 1/4/09 at 10:33 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#43Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 10:44pm

Sorry, Monkey, but you are sort of being ass like.

Fragrances of any kind are not allowed backstage at any opera house.

Also, as a dresser, I never know if my actors may have allergies, so all of my clothes are washed in Tide Free.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

FlyingMonkey1223
#44Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 10:48pm

Well, when I decide to go backstage at the opera I will be sure not to wear anything smelly. And once again, I'm not being an ass. Just pointing out the truth that people should stop being babies and stay home if they are too allergic to cologne/perfume. Going to the theatre and setting side by side with people who may be wearing something that could make you sick should be a red flag that this activity might not be for you.

ghostlight2
#45Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 10:57pm

It doesn't matter that you don't wear cologne because your attitude stinks, monkeyboy. You're unreasonable and an ass. Insensitive to boot. I'm with weez now. Here's hoping you do have some sort of episode that might make you a little more considerate of others

FlyingMonkey1223
#46Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:00pm

Yes, I'm a real piece of work. But you love me for it.

ghostlight2
#47Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:12pm

Yeah. Not so much.

jennafan
#48Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:23pm

FlyingMonkey1223 - Your ignorance is appalling.

It's bad enough to be chemically sensitive we don't need people like you to say "deal with it." Obviously you have NO understanding for the seriousness of the situation. This is not just something that makes some people get a headache, they can become very ill. I don't appreciate how you are trying to make it the person with the illness' fault.

Granted, if I go to a theatre and someone is wearing perfume/cologne, *I* will be the one that has to move, not them. That is fair, it is not that persons fault at all.

That being said, I do think there should be some rule in place at theatres and concerts to NOT wear heavy perfume. A LOT of elderly just put so much on, and I just about keel over.

A lot of people don't understand the allergic reaction. *I* can't even get a magazine in the store (besides a tabloid) because a lot of them have purfume ads.

PEOPLE Magazine put a notice in their magazine that if you would like to subscribe without the purfume ads to just let them know. So, I decided that I would just subscribe, I call up and explain the situation, the lady had NO CLUE. I kept explaining the seriousness of my allegic reaction and that I didn't want purfume ads, and she didn't get it at all. She's like "what do you mean Purfume ads?"

I told her, nevermind and hung up before signing up.

It just shows you that most people don't understand how serious this is for some people.

I guess I'll stick to reading the tabloids. haha

FlyingMonkey1223
#49Stop Stinking Up The Place.
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:42pm

"I don't appreciate how you are trying to make it the person with the illness' fault...."

Well it sure isn't my fault, or anyone else's fault who happens to be wearing a cologne/perfume in moderation. If you have a sensitivity to something--smell, food, or other--then YOU have to deal with it. Try to find an empty seat, or stay home. That is not being mean, or ignorant, or rude...that's just the honest truth.

Videos