pixeltracker

Bombay Dreams in SEATTLE, WA. Last Chance to See the Show.- Page 21

Bombay Dreams in SEATTLE, WA. Last Chance to See the Show.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#500Today!!!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 1:46am

well..this is kinda silly, but the amazing Tiffany Michelle Cooper, who was part of the Original Broadway Cast of Bombay Dreams as well as the tour, dedicated to me the final performance of the show in Clearwater, FL. That means so much to me. Also Stephanie Klemons, Monica Kapoor, Jeremy Leiner and the rest of the cast were extremely nice, thanks to everyone and special thanks to Tiffany!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 4/26/06 at 01:46 AM

muscle23ftl
#501Today!!!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:51am

The tour will visit the following cities:

May 9-21--the Sacramento Community Center Theater in Sacramento, CA
May 23-June 4--the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts in Houston, TX
June 6-18--Dallas Summer Musicals in Dallas, TX
July 11-23--the Buell Theatre in Denver, CO
July 25-30--the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center in Charlotte, NC
Aug. 1-6--the Pittsburgh CLO in Pittsburgh, PA
Aug. 8-13--the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA
Aug. 15-20--the Hummingbird Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto, Canada
Sept. 12-Oct. 1--the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, WA

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#502Today!!!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:54am

The new version that Thomas Meehan and Andrew Lloyd Webber created for the Bombay Dreams tour is much better than the Broadway version, I must say.

muscle23ftl
#503Today!!!
Posted: 4/30/06 at 10:28pm

did anyone get the souvenir program of the tour? it has AMAZING pics!

hellskitchenguy Profile Photo
hellskitchenguy
#504Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 10:00am

Muscle - What changes did they make to the tour version that made it better than the Broadway version? I wish I could see the tour!!!

muscle23ftl
#505Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 1:45pm

it is like a mix between the uk and the us version of the show, they added "like an eagle" from the uk version and they removed some songs like "i could live here" and included "lovely ladies" from the bway show. the show goes by faster and they have a cast that is as strong as the bway cast, the costumes, the choreographies are amazing, the energy in the ensemble, the leads...it's really amazing, if you have a chance to catch the tour in pittsburgh, do it!

muscle23ftl
#506Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 1:45pm

it is like a mix between the uk and the us version of the show, they added "like an eagle" from the uk version and they removed some songs like "i could live here" and included "lovely ladies" from the bway show. the show goes by faster and they have a cast that is as strong as the bway cast, the costumes, the choreographies are amazing, the energy in the ensemble, the leads...it's really amazing, if you have a chance to catch the tour in pittsburgh, do it!

hellskitchenguy
#507Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 2:43pm

Sounds awesome! I saw Bombay Dreams both on Broadway and in London so I am sure I would really really love this version. Too bad Pittsburgh is so far from NYC.

I wonder if they will extend the tour and add more cities.

RentBoy86
#508Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 2:58pm

I liked "Hero" but I wish they had kept "Don't You Want To Be Famous" they way it was, as well as "I could live Here"

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#509Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 3:31pm

hellskitchenguy, On Feburary 18 I saw the pre-opening in Tucson and since I was sitting in the front row, I spoke with the conductor afterwards. I told her congratulations and good luck and asked her how long they would be touring for. She replied, "10 months".
That means that they are touring until December, although the schedule only goes until October 1. Perhaps more cities are being planned?

hellskitchenguy
#510Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 4:53pm

Yeah...let's hope they come somewhere close to NYC. Thanks Steve2 for the info.

muscle23ftl
#511Today!!!
Posted: 5/1/06 at 5:46pm

as much as i would love this happening, i highly doubt it, this show is no Wicked. I will ask Stephanie though.

Updated On: 5/1/06 at 05:46 PM

muscle23ftl
#512A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/2/06 at 12:33pm

Baayork Lee, who directed the tour and will choreograph the upcoming "A Chorus Line" taks about the show, check this out
http://www.playbill.com/features/article/99375.html

Updated On: 5/2/06 at 12:33 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#513A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/2/06 at 1:42pm

Seeing it in September, and keeping an open mind...

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#514A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/2/06 at 1:51pm

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Baayork Lee is talent-lite. It would be great to see her without "from the original cast of A Chorus Line" after her name -- or "A Chorus Line's" before her name. I mean, that old cow has been milked and milked, and it's drizabone now.

muscle23ftl
#515A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/2/06 at 6:10pm

im happy you will see the show Bobby, and yes, keep an open mind and expect pure entertainment. The show was life changing to me because i had no idea what Bollywood was before i saw it, and i didn't know i was going to enjoy something so ethnic and so different from what i have seen in the past.

muscle23ftl
#516A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/2/06 at 6:10pm

ooops

Updated On: 5/2/06 at 06:10 PM

muscle23ftl
#517A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/8/06 at 9:33pm

anyone seeing the show in Sacramento?

muscle23ftl
#518A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/13/06 at 2:02am

Sacramento anyone?

Ebonic_Singer
#519A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/13/06 at 2:05am

Just because it played on broadway does not make it good material--anyone see In My Life?

muscle23ftl
#520A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/13/06 at 2:16am

LOL!!! you can't compare Bombay Dreams to In My Life and I have seen both, plus BD played in Broadway after a successful 2 year run in London.

muscle23ftl
#521A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/13/06 at 11:25pm

A Taste of Bombay
By Sheryl Flatow
28 Apr 2006

A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.

Take a black-and-white 1930’s Busby Berkeley movie with its simple boy-meets-girl plot and extravagant, staggering production numbers, add a hefty measure of color, move the location from Hollywood to India, and the result would be not unlike a Bollywood film—or the stage musical Bombay Dreams, which is inspired by Hindi cinema.

Bombay Dreams, which ran on Broadway for 284 performances in 2004, began a national tour in February and can be seen in May in Sacramento and Houston. The show, with music by A.R. Rahman, lyrics by Don Black and a book by Meera Syal and Thomas Meehan, has been somewhat reconsidered by director Baayork Lee.

"I saw the show on Broadway and thought it was entertaining,” says Lee, “but I never thought I’d actually be involved in the production. Then I got the call from [Christopher] Manos, for whom I’d worked at Theatre of the Stars. I read the script, and I asked if I could change some of the book, because I felt it needed a stronger point of view; there were too many mini stories going on. So I simplified the plot, and this production is all about the leading character.”

Akaash, the leading character played by Sachin Bhatt, is a poor young man from the slums who dreams of fame, the film star Rani (played by Sandra Allen) and a Bollywood career of his own. All his dreams come true, but he travels a bumpy road before the happy ending.

The tighter focus of the book was just one of several major changes made by Lee. Two songs that were in the London production but not in New York have been restored. “I also developed the character of a reporter and used her as a narrator to talk to the audience and explain the culture,” she says. “I felt we were touring to places where people just don’t know about the culture. The set designer came up with the idea of having monitors in the lobby showing Bollywood films. Then, when you go to your seat, there are three screens inside the theatre. And then the show starts and we introduce the narrator, who talks about Bollywood, little things to help the audience understand what Bollywood is about. The show has an ordinary story, boy meets girl, with an exotic atmosphere.”

Bombay Dreams is now 20 minutes shorter than it was on Broadway. “It was too long,” says Lee. “And our needs for the show are totally different than they were on Broadway. We have a different set and we needed different transitions. Tom Meehan worked with us for two weeks, and it was such an honor. He was such a huge help, and he added more humor to the show.”

Lee, who is best known to theatregoers as the original Connie in A Chorus Line—the character is based on her own story—owes much of her career to Michael Bennett. “First I was a dancer for him, then dance captain, then assistant choreographer,” says Lee, who will be choreographing the upcoming revival of the landmark musical. “When he started to develop A Chorus Line, I was dance captain and his assistant, and he put me and my life in the show. When we formed the second and third companies in London and Australia, Michael wanted to go on to other things. So he said, ‘You take care of them.’ I did the casting, and I started directing. The transition was seamless. And look where I am now. Who would have thought!”

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#522A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/14/06 at 12:47am

I haven't seen Bombay Dreams, but I can pretty much guarantee that In My Life is worse!

muscle23ftl
#523A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/15/06 at 5:24am

LOL!!!

muscle23ftl
#524A Chorus Line's Baayork Lee directs the national tour of Bombay Dreams.
Posted: 5/17/06 at 4:42am

no one seeing the show in Sacramento? anyone from Sacramento at all in this site?

Videos