pixeltracker

Bombay Dreams in SEATTLE, WA. Last Chance to See the Show.- Page 25

Bombay Dreams in SEATTLE, WA. Last Chance to See the Show.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#600Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:27pm

"Oh, and some good news: NO ONE stod up at the end.
YAY! Maybe peple are finally beginning to get that YOU DON'T STAND UP FOR CRAP!"

-frontrowcenter-

That is just not very professional, that is a little mean actually, plus the spelling would be "stood" not "stod", these dancers, singer, musicians and actors work very hard, the standing is for them, the show got standing ovations in New York City, Atlanta and Clearwater, everytime i have seen it. Except for one night in Atlanta, that the audience was dead.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 8/20/06 at 03:27 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#601Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:28pm

Muscle, I also like how you talk about diversity issues and the significance of this being an Asian Musical. This can not be understated. Yes, maybe BD could be grittier, but it was nice to see Asian and East Indian children in the audience who were seeing images of themselvesm, their people, their culture. It gives them something to dream about, aspire to and enjoy. They do not need to project themselves onto a blonde Caucasian heroine. That is a gift all its own.

PS I guess reviewers for professional publications don't use spell check anymore.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 8/20/06 at 03:28 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#602Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/20/06 at 9:24pm

Yes, I know "stood" has two O's (my O key on my home keyboard sometimes sticks on me!) and I know the standing is partly for the cast, but it’s also partly for the show. A really good show that moves or enriches you deserves people standing.

A show that tries to tell stories of other cultures while trying to appeal to a much broader audience is laudable. The problem is when the resulting show just isn't very good, and it seems I am NOT in the minority on this. I look at BD and see so much potential for a really great show, and instead we get this watered down production with lame songs, repetitive lyrics and cliché-ridden dialogue. (The dances were great. The direction so-so.)

Don’t let the cultural advances blind you to the weaknesses of the show itself.

Still my main question goes unanswered.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

muscle23ftl
#603Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/21/06 at 4:06am

Your question is not really valid, since a lot of people like myself and all my friends that i took to see the tour had a blast! I like to be entertained. A light comedy is sometimes exactly what I need to see, and they make me forget about my everyday problems, at least for a few hours.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#604Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:11pm

Yes, I agree we need light entertainment. Musical Comedies that are genuinely funny and loaded with great songs.

There was little genuine wit or cleverness in BOMBAY DREAMS. The songs were tuneful but the lyrics were bland and repetitive. I am, of course, discounting numbers like "Shakalaka Baby" which are supposed to be parodies of Bollywood production numbers and that is what made the song fun. Well, that plus the fountain.

Compare the book and score of BD with, say DRS, and you'll see a world of difference in the level of writing.

I'm not saying that you and your friends shouldn't enjoy BOMBAY DREAMS, but don't make it out to be better than it is.

I have noticed on BWW a lot of people assume that just because they like a show it is therefore great. No. You can like a show that is less than great, but look at it critically.

BTW, while gave the show (i.e., the writing) 22/50 I did give 40/50 for the production (design, staging.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

muscle23ftl
#605Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/21/06 at 1:34pm

Well, I was personally offended when I saw DRS, because I don't think a "light comedy" should be about people taking advantage of people and stealing from lonely old women, also the score was definitly not my cup of tea. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but certain things I don't mix with comedy, I also disliked The Producers, because nothing that mentions Hitler can make me laugh, and I happen to be a jew and take it a little too serious, maybe. Anyways, I am thankful to you(frontrow) for responding and it is great! we all have different opinions, unfortunatly Bombay Dreams was a flop(in the US), so there is no need to trash it anymore. That's all im saying.

muscle23ftl
#606Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/22/06 at 2:37pm

Anyone seeing BD in Seattle besides Bobby?

muscle23ftl
#607Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/23/06 at 5:50am

A funny thing I wanted to mention, Sandra Allen was so nice at the stage door, anyways, there was this guy who happened to be from Hong Kong and came to the USA just to see the tour of Bombay Dreams in Atlanta, and Sandra is also from Hong Kong, and the guy asked Sandra to sing the CD of Bombay Dreams on top of the picture of Ayesha Dharker, who played the role of Rani in the Original London Cast and Sandra said joking "Ok I will sign on top of the girl who is not me", it was kinda funny.

muscle23ftl
#608Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/23/06 at 5:46pm

Not sure if it was Taiwan or Hong Kong*

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#609Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/23/06 at 5:53pm

I am! I am going on Saturday the 23rd. My friend was going to give up his tickets, and I talked him into going and taking me with him. Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#610Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/23/06 at 10:58pm

That's a funny story about Sandra Allen. At least she joked "Ok I will sign on top of the girl who is not me".

Wow, they have a three week vacation between Toronto and Seattle then they perform for almost three weeks (09/12/06-10/01/06). That seems to be one of the longer tour stops.

Updated On: 8/23/06 at 10:58 PM

muscle23ftl
#611Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/28/06 at 12:55pm

I never noticed that it was going to be in Seattle for that long, thanks for letting me know Steve.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#612Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/28/06 at 1:21pm

OK, I'll come out of the closet. Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh

I saw the tour a few months ago while on a trip to Houston, and overall, I enjoyed it. Tar and feather away, but it certainly was much better than I expected. So I hope you enjoy it, DD.

muscle23ftl
#613Bombay Dreams in Pittsburgh
Posted: 8/31/06 at 9:54am

That's great Calvin!
There was an article on Variaty about Bombay Dreams' composer, I can't read it since Im not a member, if anyone has access and wants to paste the article on here, I'd be thankful.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117949304&categoryID=15&cs=1

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#614Bombay Dreams in Seattle
Posted: 9/24/06 at 4:31am

Saw the show this afternoon. *sigh* I don't know why, but it just didn't do it for me. I mean... for all practical purposes, it would be the kind of show I love. Campy, funny, lots of great dancing, costumes, excellent performers. Cute scantily clad men. Yet... it did nothing. I never really 'cared.' I was never drawn in. Even though the dancing was excellent, the numbers never quite rivetted me. The 'fountain' scene was bothersome, especially with all the techies cleaning up, especially the one in the Hawaiian shirt.

Anyway... don't really mean to badmouth the show. Just sharing my experience.

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Videos