pixeltracker

gatsby the musical....really- Page 3

gatsby the musical....really

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#50gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 12:06pm

I really like the story of The Great Gatsby, but I'm not a fan of the book. I'm even confused by that statement. I don't see how it can work as a musical, but I'm excited we're getting a show based off of a classic novel as opposed to another movie. Not that that will make it good, it's just refreshing.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#51gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 12:09pm

Just watch: it'll get set in Detroit, with music by JayZ, and it'll be "faithful". LOL

http://docandraider.com

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#52gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 3:16pm

I'd love to see Gatsby as a chamber piece by Guettel... anyone else?

I'll be seeing this because well a) Love the book b) LOVE Megan Sikora as Daisy Buchanan, amazing casting!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#53gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 3:54pm

I was thinking Lachuisa, but Guettel is perfect.

It will be interesting to see how they approach the material and with what tone.

....but the world goes 'round

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#54gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 5:18pm

"Just watch: it'll get set in Detroit, with music by JayZ, and it'll be "faithful". LOL"

This thread is discussing the reading of a never produced work from the 60s, right? I think that's what massofmen is refering to.

It's already written and orchestrated. (I think somebody mentioned this upthread.)

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#55gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 5:46pm

It's a cross-referent.

Never mind.

http://docandraider.com

Gaveston2
#56gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 11:11pm

"The Great Gatsby" is my favorite book of all time. I think it is the great American novel, because it so movingly portrays the promise and the betrayal of American values (primarily concerning class and money).

I also watch "Glee" and my DVR is right now taping "Big Brother."

As for a Broadway musical, I'm skeptical, given how difficult it has proven to dramatize the novel in any form. (That said, I too think the Redford film is better than critics gave it credit for.)

But Guettel certainly sounds like the right composer.

BTW I composed this post while huddled over my copy of "Gatsby" at my local coffeehouse. Not Starbucks, mind you, but an independent, locally owned joint.
Updated On: 8/10/11 at 11:11 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#57gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/10/11 at 11:19pm

In the East Village, probably, with your marijuana and free love.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Gaveston2
#58gatsby the musical....really
Posted: 8/11/11 at 2:46am

Exactly. But, damn, the patchouli oil is getting kinda funky!

Videos