Broadway Investing

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#50Broadway Investing
Posted: 8/1/14 at 3:37pm

My understanding is that if a show is doing very well, the first check might well come in within the first 90 days or so, and if things continue to do well, generally monthly. But, if the box office receipts taper off, the return stream will become less frequent.

It's interesting to me why you actually care, given the expectation that if you invest you're likely to lose money and not make money. You know, expect the worst but hope for the best and all that.

Don't forget, so many things factor into recoupment, not the least of which is the show's capitalization, that it's incredibly difficut to provide "generalizations". It's why that in addition to only investing in something that you love (see Michael Bennet's post), you had better spend a long time going over the investment prospectus

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#51Broadway Investing
Posted: 8/1/14 at 4:12pm

RaisedOnMusicals: I think you are spot on, one should expect the worst, not treat it as an "investment", but as something that you will likely lose entirely and have fun doing it.

To answer your question as to why I care, it's a little more complicated than I want to explain in detail in the forums, but basically has to do with thinking through some accounting issues.

LesMizazz Profile Photo
LesMizazz
#52Broadway Investing
Posted: 8/13/14 at 9:21pm

Here is your answer: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Become-a-Broadway-Investor-Online-Fund-the-Upcoming-ON-THE-TOWN-Revival-20140813

But you better make sure you have the following in order to qualify:

*An Accredited Investor, as defined by the SEC, is:

· A person who has individual net worth, or joint net worth with their spouse, that exceeds $1 million at the time of the purchase, excluding the value of the primary residence of such person;

· A person with income exceeding $200,000 in each of the two most recent years or joint income with a spouse exceeding $300,000 for those years and a reasonable expectation of the same income level in the current year; or

· A trust with assets in excess of $5 million, not formed to acquire the securities offered, whose purchases a sophisticated person makes.

· A business in which all the equity owners are accredited investors;

"And suddenly I'm flying flying like a bird, like electricity, electricity, sparks inside of me, and I'm free, I'm free" -Billy Elliot

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#53Broadway Investing
Posted: 8/13/14 at 11:31pm

Considering the last two revivals didn't make 100 performances (although I don't know if either was booked as a limited run), I'm curious to hear why maxolev thinks this revival will be a hit. The front page of website mentions they were producers of Pippin and Porgy&Bess, but you have to dig in to see that they lost money on Bonnie&Clyde, Hands on a Hardbody, and The Anarchist.

Timmer
#54Broadway Investing
Posted: 8/14/14 at 6:50pm

That might be FUN!

Videos