News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RaisedOnMusicals

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
Member Name: RaisedOnMusicals
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I have been going to Broadway shows since I was four years old. Two of my most memorable moments was meeting and speaking with President Clinton (while he was still POTUS) at "Chicago" during the summer of 1999, and seeing the final performance that Yul Brynner ever gave as the King (it was a Sunday night benefit performance the night that revival closed.) The cast gathered and sang Auld Lang Sygne, and there was not a dry eye in the house.
Favorite musicals: Les Mis, A Little Night Music, Gypsy, Fiorello, Sunset Blvd., South Pacific, Carousel, The King and I, A Chorus Line, 1776, Miss Saigon, and others I can't even think of this minute.
Favorite plays: August:Osage County, Night Mother, Amadeus, Equs, and many more.
Favorite performers: Bernadette, Nathan, Betty B., Kellie O'Hara, Kristin, Jerry Orbach (RIP), Audra.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 02:30:37 PM

Not everyone agrees with this take. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/back-to-the-future-the-musical-theater-review-a-fun-faithful-stage-adaptation-hits-broadway-1235548700/

SMASH Reading Lottery  Feb 12 2024, 09:15:10 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually liked the plot changes very much (and I'm disappointed that some who were there disregarded the request we got before the show started to keep the plot twists under wraps. I guess getting free tickets didn't merit honoring this request. Too bad.)

But to me, this turned from a show I found very funny (and EXTREMELY entertaining)) to one that while keeping the humor turned into something with significantly more depth and pathos. 

SMASH Reading Lottery  Feb 9 2024, 09:36:04 AM

Not only did I win, but my wife and I got two tickets for the first performance yesterday afternoon (Feb. 8), and all we could say is "Wow!". This show might well turn out to be a "smash". I mean, it was really, really good, and it seemed as if they could open on Broadway next week.

The Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College was packed, and from our vantage point, no one seemed disappointed in what they saw. The show is a star vehicle for Robyn Hurder,in the role of Ivy L

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23  Sep 27 2023, 11:00:21 AM

I actually saw the show this past Sat night (9/23) along with my wife (who is not all that familiar with the film) and we were both wowed. It's just pure entertainment from start to finish (and what a finish, it blew our minds). The scenic design is spectacular, so kudos to the design team. The show never drags, and the original music, while not "memorable" in the classic sense, advances the show and never stops it. The Winter Garden was essentially sold out, which I guess isn&#

Bold prediction--Smash will be a Smash  Sep 22 2023, 11:02:58 PM

You may be 100% correct. 

Smash The Musical:  Sep 22 2023, 09:29:59 PM

Susan Stroman’s directing. That info’s been out for quite a while. She was at the reading today. 

Smash The Musical:  Sep 22 2023, 09:27:12 PM

Yeah, go down to my post in a thread I started. I would have put in this thread but I screwed up. 

Bold prediction--Smash will be a Smash  Sep 22 2023, 08:03:46 PM

So a good friend of mine knew that I was a fan of the TV show so she was nice enough to invite me to this afternoon's reading of Smash for Broadway, scheduled to open in the spring of 2025. All I can saw is wow.

A few things to understand from the outset. The show is based on the TV series, but by no means is it a carbon copy. There are a myriad of unexpected twists and turns, so it departs significantly from what you might expect. Next, it's primarily a comedy, and it's ja

Budgets and Breakevens (2023-2024)  Sep 14 2023, 07:45:39 AM

Everything I’ve heard about BTTF has indicated a weekly break even of about $850K, not $1 million. It likely won’t make all that much difference one way or the other. 

ellen's stardust  Aug 31 2023, 04:26:22 PM

joevitus said: "Interesting to see everyone not get or not care what the OP was asking. They aren't asking opinions about the food, or if the experience is "worth it." They've been there. They liked it. They want to go back occasionally.

BUT because they are big supporters of unions, they want to know if the controversies surrounding unionization there persist. They don't want to go to a place that still harasses those trying to organize a union (and

Is Investing in Broadway worth it?  Aug 26 2023, 05:07:35 PM

One significant thing about investing in Broadway that I don't think has been mentioned is that a loss offsets ordinary income, rather than offsetting a capital gain. So, losses in Broadway (and all shows, for that matter), are much more tolerable than losses in the stock market, for example.

Is Investing in Broadway worth it?  Aug 25 2023, 10:45:35 AM

KKeller6 said: "70-80% of all bway shows fail to break even."

I know this is the standard thought about Broadway, but im reality, I'll never believe it. Almost envy facet of entertainment claims to be a losing venture. Sports, Broadway. Even" The Empire Strikes Back" claims to have never made any money. Don't believe it for a second. Are there shows that losemoney? Sure. But 70-80% today? No way. It would have dried up ages ago if that were

What's up with Talkin' Broadway?  Aug 21 2023, 11:19:34 AM

It's back up, but possibly just temporarily. See:

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/d.php?id=2578925

What's up with Talkin' Broadway?  Aug 21 2023, 08:58:30 AM

First, I wanna agree with Hogan. The Boards are very different, and both provide great value for those of us interested in live theater. All That Chat is populated by many in the industry, and many of them go back quite a way, shall we say, and have interesting observations.

According to their Twitter (X) account, they are hoping to have the site back today, but apparently it is undergoing several rounds of significant software updates and checks.

Best Desiree in 'A Little Night Music' ?  Aug 13 2023, 12:39:13 PM

CindersGolightly said: "I don't know about my opinions on Desiree's - I'll have to think on that - but how good was Erin Davie as Charlotte? She is a masterful Sondheim interpreter."

I was gonna post something about Erin's performance until I saw this post, with which I agree 100%. (Her delivery of the line "Happy Birthday to me" even standing alone, was brilliant. I also liked Leigh Ann Larkin in that production.

I Was On Stage With Mary Martin  Aug 9 2023, 09:53:33 PM

Mary would have celebrated her 100th birthday on Dec 1 of this year. 

South Pacific was the first show I ever saw. My grandmother took me when I was 4 or 5. (Thus I was raised on musicals). Mary’s role as Nellie had recently been taken over by Martha Wright). 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23  Aug 8 2023, 03:14:55 PM

AKarp2013 said: 

Back to the Future continues to astound me with how great it's doing. I love the show and I'm so happy it's performing as well as it is.

Only four shows drew more people. In deceasing numbers, they were "Wicked",  "Aladdin", "The Lion King", and "Harry Potter" (by about 200 people). If it's true what they say about the importance of word-of-mouth'

Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?  Aug 7 2023, 12:59:37 PM

"The Godfather Trilogy."

Oh, wait...

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews  Aug 5 2023, 12:25:46 PM

BETTY22 said: "OUCH! That New York Times review and headline is awful - but accurate.

The show is lucky it has a million-dollar title and massive movie fan base - because that's all it's got.

The lack of craft is shocking. I've seen better shows at theme parks.
"

So I guess you've seen it? Where, here or in London (not that it matters).

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews  Aug 4 2023, 09:25:27 AM

Whoever does the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs down or Thumbs horizontal" icons next to the various reviews apparently no idea how to distinguish a bad review from a mixed review.. I read so many of the posted reviews ID'd with the thumbs down icon and when I finished, thought, "that wasn't such a bad review at all." Case in point is Green's review in the NYT.  He even refers to the score (clearly not a strong point of the show) as "tuneful and in a few cases ro

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You