pixeltracker

PS Classics The Golden Apple- Page 3

PS Classics The Golden Apple

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#50PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 5/30/15 at 11:09pm

1. I'm sorry I misspelled your name in my previous post. I'll fix it in a minute.

2. It's hard to compete with Kay Ballard. Even now.

3. Re the "60 years": I know you meant since the last recording, but the York Theater did a credible job with GOLDEN APPLE in the early 1980s. Not knowing anything about the show in those days before iTunes and google, I found the plot a bit difficult to follow, but enjoyed it nonetheless. It was much clearer than ANYONE CAN WHISTLE, a score and book I knew quite well.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#51PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 5/30/15 at 11:12pm

brasskazoo, I forgot to thank you for the info on doubling. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#52PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 5/31/15 at 12:38am

Yes the 60 years comment was a bit of an untruth. There was even a fully staged production in the mid 90s with full orchestra:

They even went to the trouble of recreating the original designs!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#53PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 5/31/15 at 5:10pm

I'm loving this recording. I have not heard the original cast album so I can't comment on the tempos as this was the first time I was hearing any of these songs but the score is ridiculously catchy. It's fascinating to hear one of the first (or very first?) sung through musicals that premiered long before the craze hit big in the 80s. I can't say that I fully comprehend the whole story yet but a synopsis and a few more listens will hopefully solve that. It's like listening to a brand new musical. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 5/31/15 at 5:25pm

Also did anyone see the Lyric Stage production? Can someone explain what is happening here? It looks like this guy is after Tony Yazbeck's job.

PS Classics The Golden Apple

Updated On: 5/31/15 at 05:25 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#55PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 5/31/15 at 6:05pm

Gosh that's a scintillating production shot!

I would assume that's during "Lazy Afternoon," as Helen and Paris grow closer/seduce each other in preparation for their elopement. The original production featured a shirtless Paris for a majority of the show and it seems that the Lyric Stage production followed suit.

It's great to hear how much you've enjoyed the recording CATSNYrevival, I hope that the new album makes many new fans of the piece! 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#56PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 6/6/15 at 8:43am

"I tinkered a bit and sped the tempo of some of the tracks a bit, and at a spryer pace it's really much more enjoyable. Makes for a much more fun listening experience."

Which songs did you tinker with? 

I'm loving the recording over all and ma so glad to finally get the chance to have a complete recording. It's been all that has been playing in my CD player this whole week. 

Cesare2
#57PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 6/6/15 at 12:15pm

I'm also enjoying the new recording.  In general, I'm not finding the tempi too slow.  Remember, the recording is based on live performances.  You want the audience -- particularly when the material is not well known -- to understand the lyrics. 

Would like to see a full stage production of this done someday. (I've only seen an under-rehearsed and poorly amplified concert version of the work at Bard.) Clever retelling of Homer.  Wonderful score and lyrics.  Certainly the story has resonance today:  a stupid senseless war is initially won, but ultimately lost, and the one surviving soldier returns home to his wife to try to begin again.  The restored original ending (quiet and tentative) is quite moving.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#58PS Classics The Golden Apple
Posted: 6/8/15 at 2:46am

I'm listening to the new recording now. My main complaint is that the voices of the cast aren't terrific. The ensemble is weak. No one has a special sound, everyone is so generic. I understand that the production was in Texas, not in NYC, so that may speak to the quality of the cast. I'm glad to finally hear the whole musical though.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Videos