pixeltracker

Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)- Page 3

Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)

itravel94
#50re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:07pm

Can someone explain the Evita homage to me? I saw the Chicago production of Wicked last Thursday, and I don't remember this part.

Also, I have seen numerous musical productions in Chicago, and the Wicked audience was by far the most enthusiastic.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#51re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:25pm

The Evita homage is at the beginning of act 2, in the scene with the song "Thank Goodness". It is the engagement celebration. Glinda, when in front of the crowd, lifts her arms out to side in a slightly upward position, much like Evita does when addressing the massive crowd outside the Casa Rosada. Both are public figures who use rhetoric and an "I am like you and care about you" attitude to compel the masses, who "worship" them.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#52re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:23am

1) The Toronto crowd was a bit variable. The preview crowd ( when I first saw it seemed a bit subdued. I KNOW there were a lot of group bookings & I always kinda wonder about that mindset- "oh we're on trip we better go to the theatre." Also Kirsty was a bit undewhelming and there were alot of shaking out & shaping out to come esp after Stephanie returned. 2nd viewing w her- the crowd was whistling & cheering even w a lot of teenagers in the crowd. ( OK I admit I WAS whistling & cheering too. My comments on Derrick have been repeated too often- will not repeat again except to say it again makes me realize how consumate a performer Norbert Leo Butz really is.
2) OHMIGAWD BACKSTREETS BACK?!!! My life has a reason to continue!!!

lori2
#53re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:00pm

I saw the show on May 17, and I am still in deep thought about it. There were so many excellent issues brought up in this play. Being shunned for being different, having it all and still not being fulfilled, relationships based on sympathy, it was like like a visit to the shrink!

Videos