pixeltracker

Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review- Page 3

Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#50re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review
Posted: 7/1/05 at 5:15pm

I wouldn't call Gwen Verdon "one of the best nonsingers of all time." I kinda find that insulting to Gwen. Though not a phenomenal vocalist I certainly would never refer to her as a nonsinger.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review
Posted: 7/1/05 at 5:48pm

Are you kidding me? Tons of people consider Gwen a nonsinger. That is not insulting to her at all. She was a fabulous actress, and dancer - and she could hold a tune. I could find a ton of post here where they consider Gwen a nonsinger, and that is not a bad thing! It dosen't mean she "can't" sing, it means she wasn't known for her singing, and singing wasn't her main talent.
Updated On: 7/1/05 at 05:48 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#52re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review
Posted: 7/1/05 at 5:56pm

How many nonsingers are you aware of that have 7 or 8 albums under their belt? And Britney Spears doesn't count! LOL

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#53re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review
Posted: 7/2/05 at 12:54am

I'm not really understanding what you're asking. If you are talking about Gwen, you are talking about cast recordings. Not solo albums. Yes, she has been only plenty of cast recordings, she has created some legendary roles - she just isn't known for her singing. I don't think it would be right to label her as "Gwen Verdon - the singer" A better label would be "Gwen Verdon - The Peformer" because she did it all, act, dance, and she could carry a tune.

I don't know if I'm making sense. oh well.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#54re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review
Posted: 7/2/05 at 3:37pm

re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review

No, I understand what you mean but FYI Gwen did have solo albums as well. I've got one framed and hanging in my dining room.

Updated On: 7/2/05 at 03:37 PM

Johnnytoc
#55re: Emcee's SWEET CHARITY review
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:06pm

Just got in from seeing Charity today. I agree about Christina being a phenomenal dancer and actress. Her singing was 'eh' at times, but for the most part, was fine. I also agree about the choreography. At times it looked a bit muddy. An overall fine production, I hope to see it again eventually.

Videos