pixeltracker

Bad songs in Good musicals- Page 3

Bad songs in Good musicals

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#50re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:31am

"Nicest Kids In Town" - Hairspray
"Something Bad" - Wicked (I think it's a good show)
"I Just Can't Wait to be King" - Lion King (I'm much more impressed by the non-Elton music in that show. Unless you searched, you wouldn't even know about the guy who composed the other 1/2 of the show)

Urban
#51re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 8:40am

As much as I like the sone "Beggers at the Feast" is really truly out of place in "Les Misérable". It is the 11th hour show-stopper (in more ways then one since it normally occurs at 11 o'clock) but a up-tempo funny song just doesn't work at that point of the show.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#52re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 11:57am

"Wait - Sweeney Todd"

Gah! I LOVE this song. Adore it.

And re: 'More I Cannot Wish You' from Guys and Dolls. I don't think it is really necessarily a bad song, but it is just SO different from every other number in the show in both tone and music that it just feels SO out of place when compared with the rest of the score.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

forget regret <3 Profile Photo
forget regret <3
#53re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 12:12pm

something bad and a sentimental man from wicked. i also like the show.

magical lasso from phantom.

"forget regret <3, I love your post.....you give me hope for the next generation!" -Elphaba

way_to_spend_the_day Profile Photo
way_to_spend_the_day
#54re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 1:01pm

"The More you Ruv Someone"-Avenue Q
"Miss Baltimore Crabs"-Hairspray
"The Meek Shall Inherit"-Little Shop
"How I Am"-Little Women
"Something Bad"-Wicked

***It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. -- William Shakespeare***

grizzabella
#55re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:16pm

jasonf, I appreciate your comments about "Little Bird". Thanks for the discussion, but I still don't think the song is particularly good compared to the rest of the score, which is just indescribably powerful. In context, it seems absurd to me that the men would be singing at all, and taken out of contest, I think the song is the weak spot in the score. I'm afraid my opinion is also colored by having to sing this song many years ago in a choral setting,(and completely out of context) and hating it then. I just don't think it's a great song. I found similar situations handled far better in West Side Story or Shenandoah, for instance.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Videos