News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Radioactiveduck

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Member Name: Radioactiveduck
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

have they ever thought of making some of the changes from the Vegas Phantom
 Jan 19 2011, 05:51:18 PM
Late to the party, but...I agree that the Bway chandelier needs to get sped up. It looks really dumb.
Michael Riedel's interesting view of 'Spider-Man' vs. the critics
 Jan 19 2011, 05:38:27 PM
Maybe it's just me, but...

It kind of seems like they're using previews as a cheaper alternative to an out of town tryout.

Assassins' Amazing last-minute replacement!
 Jan 14 2011, 02:43:01 AM
Just two months ago or so...Sara Jean Ford took the night off from playing Christine in Phantom and stepped into A Little Night Music on about 5 hour's notice (2 of which were spent finishing her day on Jury Duty) to play Petra. She had understudied the part several months earlier, but never performed it.
Filming Final performance of In the Heights
 Jan 9 2011, 03:06:38 AM
Part of me think that's actually a smarter idea than doing a feature film that's been in talks. My reasoning...

Whenever someone makes a movie musical, non-theatre people always say the same thing. "It was good, but I didn't get why everyone was singing the whole time." That's why movie musicals are so hard to sell nowadays...there's a suspension of disbelief we allow ourselves inside a bway theatre. We know that this is a show being put on for us. Films, however, are all about voy

When Avenue Q moved to back Off-Broadway...
 Jan 9 2011, 02:51:59 AM
I was at the closing matinee of Ave Q and it didn't seem like ANYONE knew about the move. I talked to Anne Harada after the show (she had just come back after the closing of 9 to 5), and she said that it was a hard time for her. "Never close 2 shows in the same week" she told me.
Saddest moment in musical
 Jan 8 2011, 06:44:25 PM
Surprised no one's said this yet. A Chorus Line.

The end of Paul's monologue.
The Fall.

Public Advocate Says ?Spider-Man? May Violate Consumer Protection Laws
 Jan 8 2011, 05:03:45 PM
That's a good point, Winston, which made me think of something else.

The producers don't get a discount on their weekly operating budget just because it's previews. The show still costs a million dollars a week, and with the exception of this last week (where the gross managed to double somehow), they've just BARELY been making it.

PS - Does anyone know how the gross managed to go from 900K to 1.8 mil in one week?

What are your favorite words of wisdom from a musical?
 Jan 7 2011, 10:19:09 PM
"Paciencia y Fe" - In the Heights
Public Advocate Says ?Spider-Man? May Violate Consumer Protection Laws
 Jan 7 2011, 09:12:14 PM
With all the VERY PUBLIC discussion about the show's Opening Night getting pushed back twice, I think it should be obvious to patrons that the show is still in previews. Also, it's not like previews are some brand new thing to Broadway...granted most shows don't open cold on B'way, but still...I think you'd be hard pressed to find an audience member willing to sue because they didn't know the show was "in previews" vs. "officially open."

This guy is just trying to make a name for himse

re: Best Original Musicals of the Decade
 Dec 30 2010, 06:47:43 PM
I feel like this was the decade of adaptations, so all of our answers are basically the same.

Next to Normal
In the Heights
Avenue Q

PS - broadwaybaby - half of yours are adaptations, not originals.

Alice Ripley in Next to Normal in Los Angeles
 Dec 30 2010, 06:26:29 AM
Umm...I'm sorry my acting class lingo is off putting, but I was trying to contribute something beyond "he was okay".

As far as scores...it's a weird phenomenon...Someone with a ridiculous range originates a show and gets a score written for said range. Then, student singers spend hours and hours working on extending their ranges so they can play that role too. Then, all those students get out of college and start doing shows, which get written for their new giant ranges. It creates t

Saying Goodbye to N2N: Your Favorite Memories
 Dec 29 2010, 05:04:09 AM
Only got to see it once, so my memory is basically all of it. So moving. Last row Orch seats from TKTS, then I moved up to an empty in the 7th row at intermission.

I remember bawling my eyes out in Act 2. The last 3 numbers in rapid succession. And since I'd moved, it was all right in my face. I started crying and then just when I'd get myself under control, something would set me off again. The feeling inside my chest when they hit the last note of the show...it's indescribable..

Alice Ripley in Next to Normal in Los Angeles
 Dec 29 2010, 04:41:30 AM
Saw the show Monday night. Alice's voice was pretty bad. She hits most of her notes, but her vowel formation and placement is just SO WEIRD...sometimes it would make her sound flat even if she wasn't. Had I gone into the show cold, I would have thought she was sick.

Curt...I like him, I've seen him do great work...he has a ways to go still with Gabe. But, I think he'll grow into the role nicely. He seems to still be figuring out Gabe's physicality, which is leading to some indicati

Actor injured in Spiderman tonight
 Dec 23 2010, 05:01:35 AM
Question regarding the letter to Michael Cohl fomr the NY State Assemblyman Rory Lancman

At the end of the letter, he mentions either altering or removing a sequence called "The Net". What happens in that stunt sequence that warrants being called out specifically for removal from the show?

Dec 22 2010, 05:22:34 AM
But that's the thing...it WASN'T a faulty harness.

And no, it's not at all like the simile you proposed. What I meant is...lets not demand they close the production just because one person made one mistake (at least, in regards to this specific accident).

If we want to get mad and pressure the producers to hire another stage hand to help with stunt prep, I feel like that would be an EXCELLENT use of everyone's time and words. But bashing Julie Taymor as a maniac who doesn'

Dec 22 2010, 05:13:44 AM

Dec 22 2010, 03:41:52 AM
I'm not seeing a lot of mention to Equity's report of HUMAN ERROR in this thread. All the safety measures in the world wont help you if someone doesn't buckle you in right. When I saw the video, the very first thing that came to my mind was "was that cable even attached to anything?"...that's just how it looked to me.

I understand why people are upset, but let's be upset for the right reasons and at the right people. It's a serious issue, but I feel the angry mob / vulture mentality

Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
 Dec 21 2010, 07:16:40 PM
Good for Teal Wicks. I saw her in Los Angeles and thought she was really wonderful. As far as vocal health...I think there's just something about San Francisco that messes with singers, because Teal, Eden, and Marcie all sounded AWFUL up there. I saw a video of Eden's last that was literally cringe-inducing, and then saw her sing in the Jawbreaker concert in LA 2 weeks later and she was flawless.

Teal had a pretty good attendance record in LA. As far as vocal health - I saw her dur

Theaters East Of Broadway - Are They Cursed?
 Dec 19 2010, 12:23:54 AM
I dont understand why the Belasco isn't more popular...it's a GORGEOUS theatre.
Weekly Operating Costs
 Dec 1 2010, 02:38:12 AM
Does anyone know the weekly nut for any broadway shows? I heard that Spiderman's is just about a million, but I'm curious to know what some others might be. Or even some past shows, if you know them.

Particularly interested in Phantom, Wicked, and Lion King because they're pretty lavish productions.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You