News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way Review- Page 3

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way Review

nomdeplume
#50FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:50pm

What!

Stripped of the ear wiggle?

We demand a fully-equipped Fozzie Bear!

nomdeplume
#51FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:25pm

I have a concern that any reference to a bear even as in

Mattawakkawakkawakka The Great

is not a good idea. I'm not talking about the occaisonal nose stuck in the honey jar, that's comme il faut for bears, but there is a major problem in that

BEARS HIBERNATE!

And we do not want Mr. Morrison aka Mattawakkawakkawakka The Great to just suddenly decide he wants to take a nice snooze for a few months and be absent from the stage!

There must be a better solution...

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#52FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:41pm

Well, the only time Fozzie Bear ever hibernated was in "The Muppets Take Manhattan" and even then he didn't like it and couldn't sleep, so Fozzie is a bear that does not really hibernate, so it's okay.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

wickedwitchofthechest
#53FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:44pm

Hmm...you raise a valid point, nomdeplume.

I suppose the real question is whether or not Mattawakkawakka(wakka) is able to be selective with his bear qualities, or whether they have chosen him as their outlet. I should hope that he would be able to exercise some control over the bear within, but it is a troubling question.

On the other hand, I take hope in the fact that Fozzie Bear, that paradigm of beardom, when faced with hibernation in the cinematic triumph that is The Muppets Take Manhattan, chose to pursue his stage career rather than waste time in slumber. I should hope that the man who bears (no pun intended) his signature phrase would do likewise.

And on the issue of the ear wiggle - A Fozzie Bear without his ear wiggle would be like...our much-renamed subject without his curly hair. Are we to expect a razing of his locks in the near future? I shudder!

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

wickedwitchofthechest
#54FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:46pm

You got there before I did, Wickedrentq. You are indeed fleet of finger.

nomdeplume
#55FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:59pm

So then

Mattawakkawakkawakka The Great

seems in no danger of being lost to hibernation...

As for the shearing of curls, witchie...

Hmm...

Do bears shed?

Updated On: 10/18/05 at 10:59 PM

wickedwitchofthechest
#56FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:10am

Although I have never personally known any bears (I, too, have never met Mr. Mattawakkawakkawakka The Great, although he did walk past me while I was waiting for the house to open at Piazza), I do know that cats shed, dogs shed, and I shed, so I assume that bears would possess similar hair loss tendencies.

I do worry most severely for our friend of the ever-lengthening name, but as I have never seen a bald bear, I find reason to hope.

Now, as far as Fozzie or bear like traits, has anyone noticed any in his performances, or is it merely his turn of phrase and ear-wiggling that bring us to mind of Fozzie (or The Great Fozzini, as I hear he likes to be known)?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#57FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:22am

Heh, I type about 75-wpm FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?

Well once again we must consider the bear we're talking about. Do regular bears shed? Yes. Does Fozzie? I don't think so. Muppet puppets are reused and repaired quite often, so unless the workers at Henson don't keep a count of how much hair they're supposed to put on Fozzie, which I assume they do, then we don't have to worry about any hair shedding.

Well, Fozzie's main thing is telling bad jokes. Hmmm...I can't think off the top of my head of any bad jokes that Mattawakkawakka(wakka) has made. I've seen him a tad sarcastic but umm...Sometimes, particularly at chatterbox, he makes jokes about him being in way too many boy bands, but those were funny, not bad. Nope, can't think of any bad jokes.

Someone would also have to throw a tomato at him, any volunteers?

As a muppet, Fozzie raises his mouth a lot when he's excited, like thinking his jokes are funny, in addition to wakka wakka wakka also often says "Ahhh" in that excited voice.

Baby fozzie had a teddy bear he always carried w/ him.

He was also very paranoid he was going to lose his friends or his job.

Hmm...beginning to think I spent a little too much time watching TV when I was younger...

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#58FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:44am

You people need to chill.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

nomdeplume
#59MATT MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:31pm

Which do you think is most like Matthew Morrison?

1. Marilyn Monroe

2. Fozzie Bear

3. Gumby

And why?

[We've chilled long enough, Phantom2!]

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#60MATT MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:37pm

Fozzie Bear. The hair and the ears.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#61MATT MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:38pm

Marilyn Monroe. The sexy shape.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

EadieWasALady Profile Photo
EadieWasALady
#62MATT MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 5:06pm

Oh my. A male seeing another male as Marilyn Monroe? Matt Morrision is sexy and very masculine. I wonder what he would think if he were to know that a male sees him as Marilyn Monroe. Matt Morrison may not be pleased. I know I hold no interest in girly boys. Isn't this was a legitimate theater website?

nomdeplume
#63MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:12pm

I doubt it would be the first time a male has thought Mr. Morrison was sexy. He could sidestep a gay crush.

I bet Mr. Morrison has even looked at himself in the mirror and pointed and said

"You're sexy, dammit!"
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 09:12 PM

gavrochegirl
#64MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:14pm

GUMBY!

I miss Gumby.

What the puck?!

nomdeplume
#65MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:17pm

Why Gumby, gavrochegirl?

gavrochegirl
#66MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:18pm

I was just being happy about Gumby.

What a great cartoon! I even have the movie.

What the puck?!

nomdeplume
#67MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:23pm

Marilyn Monroe, Fozzie Bear or Gumby?

And why?
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 09:23 PM

wickedwitchofthechest
#68MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:25am

I should be working right now, but how could I ignore the return of the fantabulous nomdeplume? (I've missed you most cruelly, m'dear. My pillow has been soaked each night with bitter, salty tears at the thought of your absence.)

As to whom Mr. Morrison most resembles, I would have to say Gumby. While I agree that he is in many ways akin to the late, great Marilyn Monroe, not to mention Fozzie Bear, the most beloved of furry puppet comedians, it is this very ability to resemble so many people/actors/puppets/forest creatures that makes him most like Gumby. They both share a remarkable amount of sproinginess or bouncebackability, and I'm sure Our Mr. Morrison would also look attractive green.

As to you, EadieWasALady, while I applaud your use of capital letters in your screen name as well as the dashing feathered hat in your little picture thingy whose name escapes me, I must say I was shocked at your dismissive post. We here on the MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILLYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR, OR GUMBY? thread are some of the most serious musical theater scholars you will meet on this board, and if you would care to read back to some of our comments, you would see that our reasons for comparing Mr. Morrison to this interesting conglomeration of personalities are clear and well founded.

On a related note, does anyone else think Matthew Morrison's next role should have some relation to feathers? I think he'd do befeathered exceptionally well.

nomdeplume
#69MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:37am

Ah, Witchie!

To be back in literary contact with you!

And the sheer excitement of proposing Mr. Morrison, that's

MATTHEW JAMES MORRISON

(whom I have never met)

IN FEATHERS!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#70MATTHEW MORRISON: MARILYN MONROE, FOZZIE BEAR OR GUMBY?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:43am

nomdeplume has a way with words...

nomdeplume
#71MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 12:54am

I will have my way with words, indeed, Phantycakes...and you can figure out the rest...

Oh, witchie, you have my mind all a-twitch thinking what kind of feathers, how, why...

Would he play a bird, I mean not another muppet like Big Bird, but you know a, perhaps a predatory bird like a hawk...hmmm

Perhaps he will star as Pale Male in a hawk docudrama with Lola...
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 12:54 AM

wickedwitchofthechest
#72MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:15am

The subject is a somewhat problematic one. I firmly believe that feathers should be in every young actor's arsenal, especially an actor as gifted as the one under discussion. However, what befeathered role would be right for He-Who-Has-Been-Over-Named?

I don't think I would like to see him in Seussical or Honk. Perhaps he could give Norma Desmond a whirl? I know I'd pay to see it: Norma Desmond as done by Matthew Morrison as done by Marilyn Monroe, Fozzie Bear, and Gumby. Or perhaps he could play Papageno?

Ideally, a new bird or feather-related musical would be written just for him. Perhaps a tragic tale such as Monsieur Hummingbird, à la Madame Butterfly, in which he flutters about the stage intoning his ill usage at the hands of a larger, meaner bird such as Monsieur Bluebird or Madame Robin. My personal vote goes to him taking the title role in The Birds: The Musical, in which he gives us an in-depth view of The Bird's inner struggle as he attempts to poke out Tippi Hedren's eyes and does away with Suzanne Pleshette.

nomdeplume
#73MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:31am

You witchie, are a genius!

Papageno is perfect for him! I have long thought he ought train that voice for opera. (For those unversed in the operatic canon, Papageno and Papagena are lover birds in Mozart's The Magic Flute.)

I don't want him going on the road for a mere musical or play, but for the Opera I would reluctantly, shedding jealous tears, share him with the World. Hopefully he would spend most of his time here with the Met; they do have a long season.

The thought of him solo on that grand stage with like 2500 in attendance and no mic would thrill me temporarily witless!
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 01:31 AM

#74MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:34am

i saw the title of this topic and thought it said Heathers.

Videos