pixeltracker

Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival- Page 3

Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#50re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:16pm

Actually I believe the concept further emphasizes the irony of the title "Company," which Sondheim has explained not only has to do with Robert's struggle to be with someone but also with the fact that the Company is the ensemble, the chorus, and in this new version they'll be the orchestra as well. Sondheim endorses Doyle's new concept and I mean, if Sondheim trusts him then I'm all up for it. I am almost sure Doyle won't use the same concept he employed for Sweeney. I'm completely pro-Doyle, I'm more concerned with the fact that "Marry Me A Little" is going to be used in this production because I am not too fond of this song, I believe Sondheim has yet to write a great Act I finale for Robert or the Company, or leave "(Not) Getting Married" as the Act I finale which is far more powerful than "Marry Me A Little." Also, I wonder if Doyle is going to fix the problems with the book and the ending, and if he is going to include the homosexual scene. Sondheim has said many times that Robert is not supposed to be gay, so I don't see why this scene should be in the show (I'm gay myself so don't take this as a homophobic comment)

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#51re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:35pm

I think "Not Getting Married" is a very poor finale to act one. For one thing it's a comma song, not a period song. It doesn't conclude anything, it sets things up and leaves it to the book to conclude a very odd scene. And without "Marry Me a Little" Bobby's sudden spontaneity makes no sense. Also, "Marry Me a Little" is one of Sondheim's greatest songs, but then we're playing the opinion game. But at least it puts "Being Alive" in a context that makes sense.

I don't think Doyle has licence to rewrite the book. Sondheim and Furth could come in and do it.

And the gay scene makes about as much contextual sense as anything else I guess.

yr ronin,
joey

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#52re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/15/05 at 12:59am

I agree "(Not)Getting Married Today" is a comma song and it is not an obvious choice for an ACT I finale, but I just don't think "Marry Me A Little" is as brilliant as the rest of the score, not comparable with other perfect ACT finale numbers from other Sondheim shows, but like you said, it is the opinions game. I think if the show transfers to Broadway either Sondheim or Furth himself should work on the book. I love Company, in my opinion it is underrated due to its theme and comments on society, but Robert's ultimate decision seems too abrupt sometimes. I wonder who they're going to pick for Joanne and the girlfriends.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#53re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/15/05 at 8:10am

Any chance of this coming to Broadway?

CJWesselman Profile Photo
CJWesselman
#54re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/15/05 at 3:40pm

I'm 75% sure I've got two opening night tickets for this.....shall we turn BWW.com into an Ebay or sorts? lol. j/k. I've got someone lined up for the other ticket already, but I will entertain bids for one of them. :-P

Videos